Composer Willing To Work For Free

Composer Willing To Work For Free

Postby Nedwin04 » 18 Mar 2015, 09:54

Hi Everyone,

I registered here to offer my services as a composer/performer and perhaps voice actor. It is my goal in life to become a composer of film, tv, and game music, having thoroughly enjoyed studying Scoring for Film as a module of Composition at University.

Because I am only just starting out, I am happy to work for free as I need to create a portfolio of works (I hope you don’t mind that the music will still be licensed to me for portfolio purposes, but will never be used in other projects).

If you are interested and wish to hear my work, I have a soundcloud page here:

https://soundcloud.com/edward-brown-83

I also have an older page linked in the description.

I look forward to hearing from you soon,

Nedwin
edbrowncomposer.com
Nedwin04

Re: Composer Willing To Work For Free

Postby c_xong » 18 Mar 2015, 09:58

Since this is a free software forum, we are only interested in open licenses (e.g. Creative Commons), which means that anyone is free to reuse and derive the music. You may ask that this doesn't happen as a courtesy, but there's nothing stopping people doing otherwise.

However, you are still the copyright holder so you are free to use this music wherever else you like, whether that's your portfolio or other projects. Even if you were to grant these rights to another party, since we're talking about open licenses, you are still free to use them under said licenses.
c_xong

Postby Nedwin04 » 18 Mar 2015, 10:08

Well I don't mind really so long as I'm still credited and can use the music in my portfolio. It'll be good to be able to list games I've scored for on a CV to a paid job, despite those original projects being free. Basically I just need to show I have experience.
edbrowncomposer.com
Nedwin04

Postby ImpalerWrG » 18 Mar 2015, 21:18

I'm looking for music for my Dwarf themed game that would be of an 'operatic' nature, think Wagner, 'In the Hall of the Mountain King' that kind of stuff, though also some more subdued stuff suggestive of the domestic life of the Dwarves as this is basically a city builder/Sims like game. Here is the link to codez (though in my experience Art guys feel about code the way us code guys feel about Art, dumbfounded and in awe that anyone can manipulate what seems like magic). https://github.com/ImpalerWrG/Khazad

Any voice work would ideally be of a deep baritone nature, much like the voice in https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ytWz0qVvBZ0 (which is so far my official inspiration song for the whole game). I'm thinking the games music should be instrumental though and voice work would be just for tutorials, popups and other situations where game play is not in the forefront.

If this style of music is something your interested in making and you think it would be good in a portfolio (I'd think 'classical' always adds gravitas) then we may be able to work together. I'd warn you that my game is still in alpha development with just myself developing right now and will be very niche, though I imagine that ultimately doesn't matter as your going to present your portfolio to a prospective client rather then telling them to download a game, it's more the fact that your demonstrating the able to create a body of work that fits a clients specific needs rather then making one-offs that's of value in this collaboration.
ImpalerWrG

Postby Wuzzy » 18 Mar 2015, 21:47

Hedgewars already has some good-quality music, but a few more tracks can't hurt, because a couple of tracks are reused.

What Hedgewars is needing badly currently are new music tracks for the sudden death. At least there should by one at minimum, ideally, there are multiple ones, tailored towards a theme. Officially, almost all themes do not play a track in sudden death, and the one theme which does simply reuses a track from another theme.
The developer team also is looking for a jungle-themed track, although this is not as important.

Hedgewars is always looking for voicepacks, this is where voice-acting comes into play. A voicepack is a set of audible taunts which are usually played after a turn has been made.
Some useful links here:
http://www.hedgewars.org/node/5952

Although the barrier for voicepacks being accepted into Hedgewars is a bit high in my experience. Otherwise, it can simply be provided as an unofficial community add-on, because Hedgewars has a simple add-on system.

If you are intestested in contributing something for Hedgewars, feel free to take a look at the Hedgewars forums:
http://www.hedgewars.org/forum

I also strongly suggest to directly talk to the developers in IRC first, they can tell you more. The developers appeciate contributions. The URL to the chatroom (requires IRC client):
irc://irc.freenode.net/hedgewars

If you do not have an IRC client, you can also use webchat which works in your browser:
http://www.hedgewars.org/chat

I used a lot of Hedgewars-specific terms here. You will understand them as soon as you played Hedgewars a couple of times. If you want to contribute stuff to Hedgewars, you should play it first a couple of times, also to get a “feeling” for what atmosphere is desired here.
Wuzzy

Postby korodno » 15 Apr 2016, 17:21

Dear Nedwin,

I am in the process of making a short film and based on the music of yours that I've heard, I think you'd do a great job with the soundtrack. It's a psychological thriller, so the soundtrack would need to be suspenseful. Please contact me at korodno@gmail.com if you're interested.

Sincerely,

Korodno
korodno