Help freeSiege to rebirth! Artist needed.

Re: Help freeSiege to rebirth! Artist needed.

Postby Julius » 30 Aug 2010, 20:58

Somethings wrong with the files there, if I right-click and save them all of them are broken and can not be opened with an image editor.
Julius
Community Moderator

Postby MCMic » 30 Aug 2010, 21:15

Julius {l Wrote}:Somethings wrong with the files there, if I right-click and save them all of them are broken and can not be opened with an image editor.

Well, then try to use git.
"git clone https://MCMic@github.com/MCMic/freesiege.git" and you'll have all the files.

But the link works for me, you have to use the link "raw", do a right click ont it and then "save as". Then open it with the gimp.
MCMic

Postby Julius » 30 Aug 2010, 22:24

ahh ok with the raw link it works, thx.

Will have a look tomorrow.
Julius
Community Moderator

Postby MCMic » 31 Aug 2010, 11:25

I corrected the select square myself.
MCMic

Postby Julius » 31 Aug 2010, 16:05

ahh ok got the git version now, and finally understood the game. You really need to fix that "Y" forfeits the game, as "z" and "y" are switched on German keyboards and I was all the time pressing "y" to validate and wondering why I always instantly loose.

Otherwise, the main menu is really hard to read with the current font, or at least with the color of it :(

Customizable keys would be nice too, or at least an option to play with the arrow keys in single player.

I will have a go on the colored icons now... the pictures you have done are nice, but I don't like how you also colored the gold ribbon. so I will fix that.

Any ideas already for the ram or the plant? I don't think we have to stick all that close to the original right? something that would be somewhat intuitively understandable by the pattern would be sufficient I say. or we simple switch pattern.

Btw, is it right that you can only build patterns in the lowest two rows? In that case maybe we should think about making this visible somehow, as currently there is no explaination why patterns only work there.
Julius
Community Moderator

Postby MCMic » 31 Aug 2010, 16:26

Yes, only the two bottom row counts, I have already plan to indicate it with a border, but I'm hesitating between coding it or just puting it in the background image.

The font looks find to me oO
The color is black and readable, isn't it? (screenshot if it isn't please)

I colored the ribbon because it was only one image for me, the ribbon and the background. But the golden ribbon looks great on the solider I think, my only problem is the knight, far too dark.

About the keys, I didn't know it was a problem on german keyboards, when I'll have time I'll do an option to configure them. (Maybe I'll start by reading them from the config file)
I first wanted to code the pause, but I can do that first.

The ram seem very appropriate with the context, and the plant is good two, and fit with the pattern, so I would like to keep these two. But I have to find them images ^^

I started to change the menu background and reorganising the pattern screen. You can try it.
The logo images are of course going to be replaced by prettier ones, it was just to see it the idea was good.

I'm desperately looking for image that could be used as background for the game, I can't find any moutains or cloud sprite.
MCMic

Postby Julius » 31 Aug 2010, 17:59

http://drop.io/tgmp4mt

Updated icons with new brightness, still working on them though.

Let me please work on the icons for now, I have a lot of stuff already selected and am working on that. I will upload probably a more or less complete icon and unit set later tonight.

About the background I have some ideas too... but I will let you work on that for you now if you want.

Otherwise I would suggest you have a look at the music and the code itself. Would be cool also if you would re-implement the archer that is under unused units. The catapult is not needed I think, and it will be hard to find a pictures for that... same for the ram btw :(
Last edited by Julius on 31 Aug 2010, 22:52, edited 1 time in total.
Julius
Community Moderator

Postby Julius » 31 Aug 2010, 20:33

http://drop.io/kpg3v5m

finished druid and plant

Btw what are the exact specification for the size of the units? I made the druid exactly the same size, but noticed that a little bit different size for the plant didn't hurt at all (69x70 original, 72x72 new)
Julius
Community Moderator

Postby Julius » 31 Aug 2010, 20:53

http://drop.io/xkaskdr

New marion (didn't like the flower, now it's a star) and a small fix to the plant.
Julius
Community Moderator

Postby Julius » 31 Aug 2010, 22:12

http://drop.io/08rzwjt2307

Golem :)
Animation isn't so great, but more wasn't doable with the wesnoth data.
Julius
Community Moderator

Postby Julius » 31 Aug 2010, 22:44

http://drop.io/8odh0uj

Dragon. Fixed the fire sprite and made the icon more like the actual dragon in game. edited the sprites.txt since there is no dragon or golem cadaver.

Enough for today :p
Julius
Community Moderator

Postby MCMic » 01 Sep 2010, 12:43

Wow. Thanks for all that!

I'll test that ingame, but before to put it all on the SVN I would need the sources. I keep all sources in the xcf/ folder.
And I need the credit and licenses.

Why would you change marion? I like it just fine :D

And for the background, don't hesitate, if you're that active on the images, I can concentrate on the code. :-)

PS: Oh, and I already changed the musics, and I love them, so for now I'll keep them :D (I'm not sure they fit with the images so maybe they'll be changed later)
MCMic

Postby Julius » 01 Sep 2010, 12:50

http://drop.io/hkohj4o

Here are the blanks... that's the closed to a source I have got. As I said it's pretty much hacked together.
Ahh I added a new lifebar-border.

For credits, the borders are from the Glest project and licensed under LGPLv2 or later, all the rest is from the Wesnoth project GPLv2or later AFAIK. For my modifications I don't require/want credit, so just mention the original creators.
Julius
Community Moderator

Postby MCMic » 01 Sep 2010, 13:04

You don't have xcf of the units ones? you only changed the font or more have been done?

I have to look at the code to correct the dragon code before to push it, the flame isn't send from the right place.
MCMic

Postby Julius » 01 Sep 2010, 13:12

I didn't change any fonts. For the animation I simply created the individual .bmps out of the individual .pngs found in the wesnoth game.
Julius
Community Moderator

Postby MCMic » 01 Sep 2010, 13:27

Julius {l Wrote}:I didn't change any fonts. For the animation I simply created the individual .bmps out of the individual .pngs found in the wesnoth game.

I meant backgrounds, sorry for the french word that came out ^^

I really need xcf sources for the units icons, could you at least give me the background in the different colors so I can recreate them?
MCMic

Postby Julius » 01 Sep 2010, 14:11

http://drop.io/bpvj8hr

like this? I simply added the files as layers.

I still don't get what you need the .xcf for though. All the game images are in .bmp, right? Just as a source requirement, they only make sense if I would be actually working with layers ;) But it's all a hack-job :p

I might work on the background next, as I got a bit bored of messing with the sprites. The wesnoth sprites really have the disadvantage that most are drawn a bit from the top. hmm... maybe by making the background look a bit isometric that could be solved. I will see.
Julius
Community Moderator

Postby MCMic » 01 Sep 2010, 15:33

Julius {l Wrote}:http://drop.io/bpvj8hr

like this? I simply added the files as layers.

I still don't get what you need the .xcf for though. All the game images are in .bmp, right? Just as a source requirement, they only make sense if I would be actually working with layers ;) But it's all a hack-job :p

I might work on the background next, as I got a bit bored of messing with the sprites. The wesnoth sprites really have the disadvantage that most are drawn a bit from the top. hmm... maybe by making the background look a bit isometric that could be solved. I will see.

No, we just need sprites that are right to left. We'll have to find that elsewhere than in BfW :P

I need the xcf so anyone can easily change the aspect. If some day I want to change the dragoon and need to change the icon, I don't want to redo the coloration of the background, I prefer just to add a layer in the xcf with my new image and hide the old layer.
MCMic

Postby MCMic » 01 Sep 2010, 15:35

Oh, but I didn't want any xcf for anims or character sprites :D
I wanted them for the icon one, the squares with glest background and BfW portrait :D In fact the xcf are already on the git, I just need the colored versions of the backgrounds so I can put them in as layers.
MCMic

Postby Julius » 01 Sep 2010, 16:03

Ahh ok, sorry I don't have those anymore, and making them again now that the icons are done, would be kind of pointless. If I make more stones I will try to keep the layers though.

I am currently working on a slightly isometric backgound... lets see how isometric units will look on that even when they are still moving strait like the original units.
Julius
Community Moderator

Postby MCMic » 01 Sep 2010, 16:11

Julius {l Wrote}:I am currently working on a slightly isometric backgound... lets see how isometric units will look on that even when they are still moving strait like the original units.

I really think that's a bad idea :-/
The castle are facing each other, you can't do anything isometric in this configuration.
MCMic

Postby Julius » 01 Sep 2010, 16:55

http://drop.io/ffj4rvi

Small preview on the background (of course far from finished). Just to show you what I mean. It looks pretty good in-game I think.
Based on this btw: http://opengameart.org/content/isometri ... de-tileset
Julius
Community Moderator

Postby MCMic » 02 Sep 2010, 16:58

Okay, well, continue your tests, if it looks good in-game, it is what matter.

I added a white background to the selected menu item so it's easier to read, what do you think of that?
I also added the pause, use space to pause a game. (animations continues, but I think it's funny)
I changed so the music isn't always the same in a match (it's random like before, but at the end of the song it re-choose randomly the next one)
I also added the possibility to configure the keys. It's in Options>Keys> use enter on the key you want to change and redefine it for both players.
If you want to configure the key for pause the game, currently you have to do it in the config file :-/
MCMic

Postby Julius » 02 Sep 2010, 22:01

Hmm... probably need to add a third layer in the back that's far away and not isometric.
Julius
Community Moderator

Postby MCMic » 02 Sep 2010, 23:16

Yeah, it seems nice!
But you need to update from the git, you don't have the right castle image!
The new one will fit better in your background :
MCMic