Erebus (RPG)

Erebus (RPG)

Postby mdwh » 05 Jun 2013, 11:19

Erebus is a Role-Playing Game for Windows, Linux, Android and Symbian.

Full details and download at http://erebusrpg.sourceforge.net/ . Android version is on Google Play at https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... .erebusrpg . Please give me a nice rating if you like it :)

The source is GPL v3, the art comes entirely from 3rd party Free sources, with particular help from FLARE, and Open Game Art.

Some features:
* Supports point-n-click UI (mouse or touch), as well as Rogue-like keyboard controls.
* Predefined quests and random dungeons.
* Vector-based world rather than tile-based - so items/scenery can be placed in any position, or aligned in any direction.
* 2D animated graphics, with zoom in/out, and lighting effects.

ImageImageImage

Version 0.5 was covered by the Free Gamer blog, which includes a video of the gameplay. I've improved some of the comments mentioned - a "turbo" mode allows faster movement across the map, and a bouncing red circle appears to highlight the currently selected enemy. (The game does feature sound effects, but unfortunately there are some problems on some Linux machines that I haven't been able to resolve - anyone have experience with sounds using Qt/Phonon on Linux?) See http://erebusrpg.sourceforge.net/erebus.html#history for full history.

The game is still fairly short with three quests to play, but I'm working on some more longer quests. You can also now play through a randomly generated dungeon.

Future plans include:
* More quests!
* Improvements to the random level/quest generation.
* Skill system.
* More enemies.
* In-game music.
* Debian packaging.
* Translations.
* Making it easier to mod, or use as a game engine for other RPGs (much of the data is stored in XML files, but there are still some things hard-coded; also some tools would be useful to make it easier to create quests rather than generating by hand).

Erebus is written in C++ using Qt - Qt has been a huge help (providing good 2D graphics support, and the UI toolkit, as well as making it easy to be cross-platform). An RPG has been a game I've wanted to write for years (ever since my first attempt on my Amiga 1200), but all the previous attempts never really got anywhere...

Also see the main Erebus blog.
mdwh

Re: Erebus (RPG)

Postby farcodev » 20 Jun 2013, 04:30

I remember to have seen your video, thanks to the Freegamer blog, and it is a really nice work.
I see you have released a 0.6 in March, do you continue the development?
farcodev

Postby mdwh » 21 Jun 2013, 09:20

Thanks! Yes, development continues - some new versions have been released since March. I'm also working on a 4th quest which I hope will be released in a few weeks.
mdwh

Postby farcodev » 22 Jun 2013, 00:21

OK thanks!
farcodev