Bennu Game Development

Bennu Game Development

Postby KIAaze » 21 May 2010, 23:15

Just discovered an interesting new game programming language:
http://www.bennugd.org/

Bennu is a high level open source game development suite which focuses on modularity and portability, making it a perfect choice for cross-platform game development.
Although officialy it is only supported on Windows, Linux and GP2X Wiz (on the right), Bennu can run on multiple other platforms, including *BSD, MacOSX and other consoles such as the Wii, Dingoo A320, GP2X, or the classic Xbox.
This makes it really fun to code in Bennu: the game can be played on you computer AND your console!
Bennu -which was born as a Fenix fork- is actively mantained and makes it easy for both beginners and experienced users to create their own games.

The latest will find it particularly interesting that Bennu allows the use of third-party extensions that extend Bennu to allow such things as: networking, advanced output graphics manipulations, mpeg playback, complex text rendering, XML parsing...

In fact, most of the Bennu code runs as extensions to the main interpreter, allowing you to use only those you need (thus optimizing resource usage) or to completely replace them.

For example, you can choose to replace the provided 2D software renderer with an OpenGL 3D renderer (currently in beta) based on the Irrlicht Engine that also provides an advanced physics engine.

License seems to be GPL, even though I haven't seen it mentioned clearly anywhere, except for the COPYING files in the source tarball.
KIAaze

Re: Bennu Game Development

Postby TheAncientGoat » 22 May 2010, 10:24

Its a Fenix fork, and that was done by the GNU project, so I'm pretty sure its as foss as you can get.. I've actually played a few of its games without noticing XD

As a language though, it looks pretty darn scary..
TheAncientGoat
Community Moderator

Re: Bennu Game Development

Postby Sauer2 » 25 May 2010, 09:33

Yeah, but it can be used to make GP2X games, while cross compiling is pretty darn scary, too. ^^
Sauer2