Weaver - Game Framework for Linux

Weaver - Game Framework for Linux

Postby thiagoharry » 17 May 2010, 16:52

Weaver is a new Game Framework for the developing of free and open-source 2D games for Linux. Currently it has the following features:

* Easy and fast to learn and use (I hope)
* Support for Ogg Vorbis sound effects and music
* Support for PNG rendering
* Collision detection
* Automaticly creates and updates Makefiles
* Automaticly generate some code

Some initial examples created using the Framework:

The player can create mazes putting bricks in the central area and the monsters try to find the exit.

A Spacewar Clone.

A Pong Clone.

Project Page: http://www.nongnu.org/weaver
Project Version: Alpha
Project Licence: GNU General Public License, v. 3

There's plans to make the framework compatible with C++ in the future. Also font support is planned.
thiagoharry

Re: Weaver - Game Framework for Linux

Postby qubodup » 17 May 2010, 21:11

If it's a game-builder for non-programmers, I'm quite interested. If it's yet another game library, I still want to check out the examples. :)

Is it only for Linux simply because you don't develop on other platforms?

/me checks out source.
Oh my, cvs.

{l Code}: {l Select All Code}
$ ./weaver
    .  .     weaver PROJECT_NAME
   .|  |.
   ||  ||
   \\()//  You must pass the name of the new
   .={}=.    project as argument.
  / /`'\ \
  ` \  / '
     `'

my compliments! This is an excellent 'missing parameter' message, both in design and clearness!

Hmm..
$ ./weaver qgame
Sorry, your project could not be created.
[qubodup@qbox weaver$ ./weaver whynot
[qubodup@qbox weaver$ ./weaver "hey, you're not listening"
./weaver: line 83: [: too many arguments
./weaver: line 113: [: too many arguments
[qubodup@qbox weaver$ ./weaver youAreMean

Huh?

So I decided to try out an example
$ cd examples/invasion/
$ make
[...]
gcc -Wall -O2 -g  -g -o invasion display.o keyboard.o vector2.o vector3.o vector4.o weaver.o sound.o image.o game.o monster.o -lX11 -lm -lvorbisfile -lasound -lpng
image.o: In function `_readpng_init':
/home/qubodup/src/cvs/weaver/examples/invasion/src/weaver/image.c:43: undefined reference to `png_check_sig'
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
make: *** [all] Error 1

The problem ist that png_check_sig is depreciated and missing from libpng 1.4. I think I had the same problem with freeorion a few weeks ago. See http://www.libpng.org/pub/png/libpng-manual.txt on information what functions are supposed to be used now.
qubodup
Global Moderator

Postby thiagoharry » 18 May 2010, 02:38

About the bug in libPNG: Thanks a lot for the tip. I already corrected the code in the repository and now it should work correctly.

About the message "Sorry, your project could not be created.": Probably it's happening because you didn't run "make install" to install the Weaver Framework first. Other possible causes: you don't have permissions to write in the current directory, your disk is full or it's read-only.

Ah, sorry, it's not a game builder for non-programmers. You are supposed to know C programming to use the API that comes with the framework. Checks some examples in the project official page to see how to use. What the framework does is help you to manage the source files, Makefiles and also helps you with a complete API.

It's only for Linux because I'm interesting in help the Linux Desktop with some exclusive games. Perhaps in the future I will port this for some other systems like FreeBSD, MacOS, and others, but in this moment it's not a priority.

Thanks for the reply and for the help. This is very useful for me.
thiagoharry

Postby thiagoharry » 18 May 2010, 02:42

Ah, about CVS: I have plans to migrate to GIT or SVN. But I'm planning to do this when I finish the Beta Version.
thiagoharry

Postby qubodup » 18 May 2010, 12:12

I was now able to compile invasion. With only a warning.
src/weaver/image.c:57:3: warning: ‘jmpbuf’ is deprecated (declared at /usr/include/png.h:1111)

I love tower defense games where the towers are used as blockades for building mazes. The demo lacks towers though.
Thanks a lot for not trying to fullscreen at some "normal" resolution! (The game full-screens to the resolution currently active.)

The other demos compile with the same warning and work. I have nothing to say to them. ;)
qubodup
Global Moderator

Postby thiagoharry » 18 May 2010, 13:27

Oops. Thanks for posting the warning. In my computer I have only an older version of libPNG and these Warnings doesn't appear. I shall upgrade soon and correct these problems with deprecated functions.

I have plans to release an open-source version of Desktop Tower Defense with better graphics. Currently I already have a version of this game with a basic tower, but I still need to work in some optimizations before release it. :)
thiagoharry