Black Obelisk (puzzle), Evil Cult (strategy)

Re: Black Obelisk (puzzle), Evil Cult (strategy)

Postby qubodup » 01 Feb 2012, 22:38

T: can you fix it? :)
qubodup
Global Moderator

Postby starinfidel » 13 Feb 2012, 22:34

A few more fixes:

* checkboxes in sects info for sect advisor to skip them when planning
* remove most of unnecessary messages when cult is destroyed
starinfidel

Postby starinfidel » 20 Jul 2012, 01:06

Hey guys.

v5 is released. The only change from the last dev release is the "Start multiplayer game" menu that is more useful than using the Custom game. Here's the full list of changes from v4 - http://code.google.com/p/cult/wiki/Changes_v5
The link to play is as always http://www.in-fi-del.net/static/cult/index.html

It's also probably the last major release because I don't feel like continuing to work on the game anymore. I'll fix any glaring bugs if they will be found but if you want new features, you will have to find a new maintainer :)
starinfidel

Postby qubodup » 20 Jul 2012, 03:26

It's an excellent game and your game design fu is strong. Thanks for sharing it with all.
qubodup
Global Moderator

Postby starinfidel » 20 Jul 2012, 12:12

starinfidel

Postby qubodup » 27 May 2013, 12:15

In chromium 27.0.1453.93-3 with http://www.in-fi-del.net/static/cult-05/index.html , the menu leaves a black area during the game, which I can play in (I can click things and I see changes appear in the status bar and resources being spent) but I can't see items in it:

It also happens in incognito mode.
It does not happen in Firefox.
I assume it's just a Chrome/Chromium bug, but thought I'd report it anyway - just in case.
qubodup
Global Moderator

Postby riidom » 27 May 2013, 13:15

Looks like I'm not the only one who casually plays this little gem. Not given up hope about a secret, out-of-nowhere update yet, btw ;)
riidom

Postby oberhamsi » 27 May 2013, 20:25

evilcult.png

my first proper play through (on easy...) after a long pause. I vaguely remembered what it was about (gaining followers who give you resources).

So I felt pretty confident on easy and attacked the violet cult rather early and managed to grab a few of his generating followers. Then noticed I already had enough virgins & priests to start ritual. I kept a low profile for 2 more rounds and spent all resources on lowering awarness of my cult and getting rid of the investigator.

Should have read the wiki first... you need 9 ritual points, generated by priests per round. I was lucky I had a few spare virgins to make the priests happy. THE WORLD IS MINE
oberhamsi

Postby Evropi » 27 May 2013, 21:35

I just played it today. 5/5 game, colour me impressed. It was truly an excellent gaming experience and I would like to see more stuff like this. Lots of interesting game design theory at play here BTW so take note, game designers of FreeGameDev!
You just wasted 3 seconds of your life reading this.
Evropi

Postby starinfidel » 28 May 2013, 23:45

qubodup {l Wrote}:In chromium 27.0.1453.93-3 with http://www.in-fi-del.net/static/cult-05/index.html , the menu leaves a black area during the game, which I can play in (I can click things and I see changes appear in the status bar and resources being spent) but I can't see items in it:

It also happens in incognito mode.
It does not happen in Firefox.
I assume it's just a Chrome/Chromium bug, but thought I'd report it anyway - just in case.

Okay, I've figured it out. Chrome devs now handle element visibility differently. I've changed it everywhere to use CSS display property, it works fine on my Chrome. No game version changes but the underlining javascript file is different. Thanks for reporting, I try to support at least FF/Chrome/Opera. And what do you know, even IE10 now seems to handle the game properly.

riidom {l Wrote}:Looks like I'm not the only one who casually plays this little gem. Not given up hope about a secret, out-of-nowhere update yet, btw ;)

Sorry, guys, no updates, I'm done with this game. I kinda wish that I extended the ritual system to something like Master of Magic but that's about it. :)
starinfidel

Postby starinfidel » 17 May 2020, 17:31

My, my, how time flies. At the beginning of the year I was persuaded to release the game on Steam, so I started working on it to get it in shape for a commercial release. And then I realized that it's actually 10th anniversary since the first public release. Moreover, this exact thread was started almost precisely 10 years go!

So after a couple of months of work, I present to you v6 for Evil Cult. The major thing about it is that it is now available on Steam, with an all-new graphics mode. Gameplay-wise, the Steam version and free web version are 100% the same. This release fixes a lot of small bugs and adds some gameplay tweaks to v5 formula. There are two new level 2 sect tasks and a new mid-game ritual. Sect names are now more entertaining, and lots of new people names were added.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1237260/Evil_Cult/

The somewhat full list of changes includes:

• Commercial release on Steam
    • New graphics!
    • Tutorial mode
    • Embedded manual with the table of contents
    • Map scaling with mouse wheel
  • Fullscreen mode
  • Music volume buttons
  • Automatically maximize map to window
  • About page and link to the manual in the top menu
  • Unveiling ritual - 1 priest, 5 virgins, 3 points. Reveals all cult origins on the map
  • Sects
    • Sacrifice Sect task - Level 2 task, sacrifices a sect to lower investigator willpower, destroying it in the process
    • Harvest Sect task - Level 2 task, harvests a sect for resources, also destroying it
    • Sect names are now more fun
    • Sect AI can now sabotage rituals
    • Sect growth formula changes
  • There is now a chance to acquire a stash of resources for the cult on capturing its origin
  • More people names
  • Cult origins are now placed more fairly in separate map segments
  • More mouse cursors
  • Various balance tweaks here and there
  • And plethora of fixes and UI tweaks
  • ... including a long-standing bug with virgins gain when the amount of nodes is low (as it turns out, 0-1 virgins was a lie, folks, hehehe, making hard difficulty unnecessary hard)

riidom {l Wrote}:Looks like I'm not the only one who casually plays this little gem. Not given up hope about a secret, out-of-nowhere update yet, btw ;)

Suprise! You've got your wish... seven years later :D

To commemorate the release, I'll be giving out three keys to the first three people that post a reply to this thread stating that they want one.
starinfidel

Postby Julius » 18 May 2020, 22:07

That's awesome. Congrats on the release.

I guess my games backlog is too long to ask for yet another game, so I think I'll pass on the free key ;)
Julius
Community Moderator

Postby starinfidel » 19 May 2020, 09:35

Julius {l Wrote}:That's awesome. Congrats on the release.

I guess my games backlog is too long to ask for yet another game, so I think I'll pass on the free key ;)

Thanks. Full backlog is probably the most common barrier for making money with game development nowadays :D
starinfidel

Postby ffaf » 03 Jun 2020, 20:23

Congrats on the release. I have played Black Obelisk and that was quite a good game too!
ffaf

Postby starinfidel » 03 Jun 2020, 22:54

ffaf {l Wrote}:Congrats on the release. I have played Black Obelisk and that was quite a good game too!

Cool, thanks :)
starinfidel