Black Obelisk (puzzle), Evil Cult (strategy)

Re: Black Obelisk (puzzle), Evil Cult (strategy)

Postby starinfidel » 17 Nov 2011, 04:14

qubodup {l Wrote}:I think the current font is good to read but clutters up the screen, especially with overlapping node information areas.

The 3x5px one is too horrible, yes. The top right is a 4x6px one. Should I slice it up into single image files? Would you need different images for different colors or can you color them in css/js? (I have no idea...)

No, it seems I can drawImage a region of the source image, didn't know that. I also checked out the trick for tinting an image, it's not that good. So please paste them all into one image vertically - first 0-9% for gray, then for reg, green and blue.

Hmmm, if it works fine across all browsers, I'll probably put all 27 images I use now into one, that should speed up the loading process.

Also, if anyone is using touchscreen devices, please try EC and tell me how the advanced mode works, it probably makes the game much more playable.
starinfidel

Postby qubodup » 17 Nov 2011, 11:57

http://www.in-fi-del.net/

About the image: no whitespace, each character is width:4, height:6, except for %, which is width:3
4 colors: lightgray,red,cyan,green, bg is transparent. Image is indexed for minimal file size.
% symbol exists only for lightgray

(If you need a color changed and you have no app installed/no clue how to do it/no time to do it, just ask and I'll do it for you.)
Attachments
012345689percent-greyredcyangreen-4x6.png
cc0
012345689percent-greyredcyangreen-4x6.png (332 Bytes) Viewed 16991 times
qubodup
Global Moderator

Postby starinfidel » 17 Nov 2011, 12:21

Okay, thanks, I'll try to put that in tomorrow.
starinfidel

Postby starinfidel » 17 Nov 2011, 15:35

I've put the 4x6 font in for testing. I don't think it looks good - too small for me, I'm straining my eyes to discern the symbols.
starinfidel

Postby qubodup » 18 Nov 2011, 03:45

1. test mode only draws percentage (only number) over only one node. 'next round' gives no resources.

2. new 5x8px font. %-sign is 4x8px. Better?
Attachments
012345689percent-greyredcyangreen-5x8.png
cc0
012345689percent-greyredcyangreen-5x8.png (465 Bytes) Viewed 16959 times
cultfontprev.png
cultfontprev.png (2.95 KiB) Viewed 16959 times
qubodup
Global Moderator

Postby starinfidel » 18 Nov 2011, 04:28

Great! Take a look at the new dev version.
I also combined all node images into one, speeding up the loading process.

Now, what about "'next round' gives no resources."?

P.S. Lol, Windows Firefox (Chrome is fine) fucks up PNG colors, compare green nodes here: http://www.in-fi-del.net/static/cult-dev/data/nodes.png
starinfidel

Postby starinfidel » 18 Nov 2011, 04:54

The next logical thing would be to make node symbols with another bitmap font :) 123?BIPS

That way I can display some stars or something instead of 1,2,3 for node levels and at some point enable graphic themes support for people that want graphics.
starinfidel

Postby starinfidel » 18 Nov 2011, 07:55

Daily update:

- all node images combined into one
- leave "close" button in the main menu after finishing game
- new bitmap font for advanced map mode, courtesy of qubodup
- music player display tweaked
- new sects are now automatically created at the start of player's turn, button "Create sect" removed
- AI director implemented, will try to give some virgins to the weakest cult and double generators output sometimes (to get debug info about all director actions, open debug menu and select Trace Director toggle)
starinfidel

Postby starinfidel » 22 Jan 2012, 13:25

Dev version update:

- new sect info display
- cap sect growth with leader power
- sect name algorythm changed
- add "temporary" to the temporary generator tooltip
- fix: use adepts, upgrade them, will find "5 of 3 adepts used"
- fix: finding most linked node
- fix: clean investigator and cult tasks when needed
- fix: sects continue to sabotage ritual after it's disabled
- fix: "adepts used" counter now correctly updates when failing to lower willpower
starinfidel

Postby qubodup » 22 Jan 2012, 18:29

GUI/Controls:
The current task selector for sects has light bg and fg color.

Investigators are the most horrible piece of information you could get. Although it is fun that the player gets a shock each time they see a green "!", it might be better to use a "I" or "i" to symbolize investigators.

Or you could differentiate between positive and negative messages using "!+" and !-" or "!" and "!!"... I think this is necessary with all the "becomes a leader" messages 'spamming' the infobar :)

I feel it would also be useful to be able to tell whether a message popped up this round from looking at its icon. One solution would be to set old-msgs' border-color to #444.

IMHO the L key should open AND close the message window, as with all others (same for other menus?)*

One conflict: I use arrow keys + enter to select an option in a drop-down menu in the sect window. Enter also closes the window. This would also happen if you implemented above suggestion and I would use "L" key to jump to an entry beginning with "L" while in the drop down menu.*

Some button or mention of the "a" button function would be nice.

Sects:
Is there a reason for inactive sects not to automatically start searching for investigators as soon as they are free?

The drop down menus get really annoying with progression, as the amount of micro grows linear to amount of sects.
One solution would be to have % sliders.
Info/Node/Resource/Defense(Investigator search/hunt)
and for each of the info/node/resource there would be a sliders for the cults?...
This would not work if the sects become individually-skilled.

My position right now is: when an investigator appears, I want all of the sects searching him, if I have visible and invisible investigators, I want 50/50 search/destroy. When there are no investigators, I want sects to do something without me having to tell them to do it. Perhaps an auto checkbox for such behavior would be a good way to satisfy lazies and test the micromanagement of the game.. Sounds rather annoying to program though :)

* These problems are likely to be encountered by only few players.
qubodup
Global Moderator

Postby starinfidel » 23 Jan 2012, 19:16

> The current task selector for sects has light bg and fg color.

Unfortunately, styling of "select" elemets does not work on Chrome, only on Firefox and Opera.

> Investigators are the most horrible piece of information you could get. Although it is fun that the player gets a shock each time they see a green "!", it might be better to use a "I" or "i" to symbolize investigators.
> Or you could differentiate between positive and negative messages using "!+" and !-" or "!" and "!!"... I think this is necessary with all the "becomes a leader" messages 'spamming' the infobar :)

I will get to that eventually :) It's as usual - html divs are not all that suited to be dynamic so I tend to push that work somewhere.

> I feel it would also be useful to be able to tell whether a message popped up this round from looking at its icon. One solution would be to set old-msgs' border-color to #444.

Okay, wrote that down, too.

> IMHO the L key should open AND close the message window, as with all others (same for other menus?)*

I like the idea, I'll do that.

> One conflict: I use arrow keys + enter to select an option in a drop-down menu in the sect window. Enter also closes the window. This would also happen if you implemented above suggestion and I would use "L" key to jump to an entry beginning with "L" while in the drop down menu.*

Well, I'll remove default Enter shortcut for that window.

> Some button or mention of the "a" button function would be nice.

Okay, I'll add "A" button in status, I think.

> Sects:
> Is there a reason for inactive sects not to automatically start searching for investigators as soon as they are free?

No need to, one sect should be enough. The search tasks are separate.

> The drop down menus get really annoying with progression, as the amount of micro grows linear to amount of sects.
> One solution would be to have % sliders.
> Info/Node/Resource/Defense(Investigator search/hunt)
> and for each of the info/node/resource there would be a sliders for the cults?...
> This would not work if the sects become individually-skilled.

> My position right now is: when an investigator appears, I want all of the sects searching him, if I have visible and invisible investigators, I want 50/50 search/destroy. When there are no investigators, I want sects to do something without me having to tell them to do it. Perhaps an auto checkbox for such behavior would be a good way to satisfy lazies and test the micromanagement of the game.. Sounds rather annoying to program though :)

Only one investigator per cult, search option disappears when he is found.

Okay, I've got your point. It seems that what you want is something close to the Advisor AI of Civilization/FreeCiv - simple AI that will choose the appropriate task for the sect at the start of each turn or on key events. That's not that difficult to make, I'll do that as an option.

All in all, great feedback, thanks :)
starinfidel

Postby qubodup » 24 Jan 2012, 16:51

To style drop down menus, you have to style the <option> tags.

Two sects searching one investigator will not add up and one cult can only be annoyed by one investigator at a time? Then it should probably be impossible to tell two sects to take care of the investigator perhaps.

PS: always glad to playtest!

Let me know by the way, if I can create/mockup design( alternative)s for anything.
qubodup
Global Moderator

Postby starinfidel » 25 Jan 2012, 00:31

> To style drop down menus, you have to style the <option> tags.

Oh, great, works like that. Well be in the dev version today.

> Two sects searching one investigator will not add up and one cult can only be annoyed by one investigator at a time? Then it should probably be impossible to tell two sects to take care of the investigator perhaps.

Well... It's not gonna be obvious, I think.

> PS: always glad to playtest!

> Let me know by the way, if I can create/mockup design( alternative)s for anything.

You mean if I need anything? Or do you want to try to redesign something?
starinfidel

Postby starinfidel » 25 Jan 2012, 00:42

- All keyboard shortcuts (C,S,L) should also close their windows when pressed
- removed Enter shortcut for closing sects info window
- add A button for setting advanced mode (in the upper right corner of the map)
- letter I instead of ! on investigator events
- fixed darkening of log panel events on ending turn
- hopefully fixed wrong clearing of node highlights in some cases
- two more cult descriptions
starinfidel

Postby qubodup » 25 Jan 2012, 01:42

http://www.in-fi-del.net/

> Let me know by the way, if I can create/mockup design( alternative)s for anything.

You mean if I need anything? Or do you want to try to redesign something?

If you need anything. Also be bold when saying that you dislike something. I could then ask on OGA for example for better art help. :)

PS: in advanced mode, the overlapping is annoying. I should try to come up with ideas for solutions at some point :)

Perhaps have a letter (M?) instead of enter for main menu as shortkey?

The grey bg of new messages makes it harder to see the content, especially for the blue sect. Border color instead?
qubodup
Global Moderator

Postby starinfidel » 25 Jan 2012, 18:44

> If you need anything. Also be bold when saying that you dislike something. I could then ask on OGA for example for better art help. :)

Okay :) ATM, I'd love to have colors for more cults. The multiplayer is limited by 4 players only because I have made only 4 colorsets for cults. Take a look in http://www.in-fi-del.net/static/cult-dev/data/nodes.png. I'll also need lighter text color for cult name.

> PS: in advanced mode, the overlapping is annoying. I should try to come up with ideas for solutions at some point :)

Be my guest :)

> Perhaps have a letter (M?) instead of enter for main menu as shortkey?

Okay, I'll also add M for that. Main menu is also called by Esc.

> The grey bg of new messages makes it harder to see the content, especially for the blue sect. Border color instead?

Yeah, that seems nice.
starinfidel

Postby qubodup » 26 Jan 2012, 00:37

starinfidel {l Wrote}:Okay :) ATM, I'd love to have colors for more cults. The multiplayer is limited by 4 players only because I have made only 4 colorsets for cults. Take a look in http://www.in-fi-del.net/static/cult-dev/data/nodes.png. I'll also need lighter text color for cult name.

Does this work? (Did I understand the task correctly? :)
Attachments
nodes.png
nodes.png (1.67 KiB) Viewed 16755 times
qubodup
Global Moderator

Postby starinfidel » 26 Jan 2012, 18:43

Yep, you did :)
Color number 6 seems very close to color 3 though.
Also, I'll need the lighter versions of these in RGB format (to display cult names in-game)
starinfidel

Postby qubodup » 26 Jan 2012, 19:32

changed them a bit

I prefer hex codes........

#0988ff 9,136,255
#609612 96,150,18
#a85700 168,87,0
#5e5e5e 94,94,94

http://easycalculation.com/color-coder.php
Attachments
nodes.png
nodes.png (1.68 KiB) Viewed 16722 times
qubodup
Global Moderator

Postby Tranberry » 26 Jan 2012, 23:59

Much better Q love the second version
I agree with Q until I post differently.
Tranberry
Community Moderator

Postby starinfidel » 27 Jan 2012, 17:23

Yep, that looks very nice. I'll add them to dev version soon and try it out in-game. Not sure about the last one (gray).
starinfidel

Postby starinfidel » 28 Jan 2012, 22:37

Okay, fresh dev release...

- Sect Advisor AI that will auto-select tasks for all sects (can be turned off in options menu)
- new cult colors and raising custom game cults and players max to 8
- options menu, each player in multiplayer mode has separate options table
- option: advanced map mode
- option: don't show sect messages in log panel
- add M keyboard shortcut to call main menu
- use border color to mark fresh event
- fix: custom game start
- fix: If player one presses A to view the advanced map, that map viewing state does not change when player 2 starts their turn.

I kinda like the advisor, it doesn't use "Sabotage ritual" for the moment but overall it does precisely what I would do :) The only thing that is unintentional but will be left for now is that it waits until next turn to change tasks so it's potentially is not as effective as player selecting them by hand.

I've completely forgotten that I have a third color for each cult, that is for cult name in logs, tooltips, etc. For now I used the line color, but it doesn't work that well on gray background. The gray color also won't do - there is a minimap displayed when the map is large and gray is used for neutral nodes. And it also doesn't look good in tooltips. Here's the colors in code. lineColors are just copied from nodes.png image but cultColors will have to be something slightly different.

380 public static var lineColors: Array<String> =
381 [ "#55dd55", "#2727D7", "#E052CA", "#D8E151",
382 "#0988ff", "#609612", "#a85700", "#5e5e5e"
383 ];
384 public static var cultColors: Array<String> =
385 [ "#00B400", "#2F43FD", "#B400AE", "#B4AE00",
386 "#0988ff", "#609612", "#a85700", "#5e5e5e" ];
starinfidel

Postby qubodup » 31 Jan 2012, 18:15

Oh, I didn't realize there was a multiplayer mode or that the custom game setting did anything!

Enemy player colors should probably be random, rather than p2 always having a certain color etc.

The adviser is pretty handy! :)

Grey replacement:
line: 990009
text: bb000b
and see attachment

Regarding colors: I don't see problems with the colors in the 'cults' window and the only one hard to read in the tool-tips is the blue one for me (#2). do you mean other views? Or do you also find the first four cult colors (green, blue, purple, yellow) hard to read somewhere?
Attachments
nodes.png
nodes.png (1.67 KiB) Viewed 16586 times
qubodup
Global Moderator

Postby starinfidel » 01 Feb 2012, 19:23

> Oh, I didn't realize there was a multiplayer mode or that the custom game setting did anything!

Great, now you can play local multiplayer! :)

> Enemy player colors should probably be random, rather than p2 always having a certain color etc.

I plan to make start game dialog where you can choose everything - colors, cults, names, etc

> The adviser is pretty handy! :)

Yep, saves a lot of time :)

> Grey replacement:

Okay, that's much better. I uploaded the new dev version with these colors (no other changes).

> Regarding colors: I don't see problems with the colors in the 'cults' window and the only one hard to read in the tool-tips is the blue one for me (#2). do you mean other views? Or do you also find the first four cult colors (green, blue, purple, yellow) hard to read somewhere?

Forget about that comment, everything looks fine now.
starinfidel

Postby Tranberry » 01 Feb 2012, 19:53

I must point out that the saturation of the red (grey replacement) is not sharing saturation with the other colours.
I agree with Q until I post differently.
Tranberry
Community Moderator