Space Nerds In Space

Re: Space Nerds In Space

Postby smcameron » 02 Mar 2018, 21:59

Anybody have any DMX lighting hardware?

I'm trying to control such lights from linux, but I do not have any DMX hardware.

If someone would like to test it, there's a program called test_snis_dmx:

{l Code}: {l Select All Code}
scameron@sirius ~/github/space-nerds-in-space $ make test_snis_dmx
  CHECKING for struct termios2... not OK. We will define it ourself.
  COMPILE snis_dmx.c
scameron@sirius ~/github/space-nerds-in-space $ ./test_snis_dmx /dev/null
snis_dmx.c:236: NOTICE!!! This snis_dmx library is COMPLETELY UNTESTED as
snis_dmx.c:238: I currently do not have any hardware I can test with.
snis_dmx.c:240: Do not be surprised if it utterly fails to do what you want.
snis_dmx: ioctl TCGETS2 failed: Inappropriate ioctl for device
Failed to start DMX thread on device '/dev/null', Inappropriate ioctl for device
scameron@sirius ~/github/space-nerds-in-space $

In the example, I told it to test /dev/null, which of course didn't work. If you had some real DMX hardware on a serial device, it would try to blink all the lights at 0.5Hz for 40 seconds. Seeing as how I cannot test it, it's somewhat unlikely that it will actually work, but it is within the realm of possibility.

The eventual goal is to be able to connect events within the game to lighting cues, so that e.g. being hit by enemy fire can trigger strobe flashes, red alert can turn the room lights red, etc.
smcameron

Postby smcameron » 05 Mar 2018, 18:42

From the wreckage of a derelict ship, some disturbing footage was recovered...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=woMkFN47U-Q
Last edited by smcameron on 12 Jul 2019, 15:41, edited 1 time in total.
smcameron

Postby smcameron » 27 Mar 2018, 18:27

Development Update 2018-03-27:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jzj4CSFYD6s
smcameron

Postby charlie » 27 Mar 2018, 20:42

Cool update but I can barely hear the commentary after the half way point of the video as the music and sound effects drown it out.
Free Gamer - it's the dogz
Vexi - web UI platform
charlie
Global Moderator

Postby smcameron » 28 Mar 2018, 01:36

Thanks for the feedback Charlie. I remixed the audio.

https://youtu.be/tWeQyX2jDWY
smcameron

Postby smcameron » 29 Jun 2018, 14:07

Quite some time ago, I added the capability for speech recognition (using pocketsphinx) and some rudimentary Zork-like natural language processing to Space Nerds In Space. However, like a dancing bear, the speech recognition is remarkable mostly in that works at all, not because it works so well. Especially, background noise is a big problem, but also accents, talking too fast, and mumbling slightly will make it not work so well.

The speech recognition is done in a separate process and the text which it produces is fed into the game via a fifo that snis_client monitors. This means the speech recognition can be replaced relatively easily (assuming the existence of an alternative). It occurred to me that if I had an android app which could do speech recognition (should be easy enough, right?) and then forward the recognized text to an arbitrary TCP socket, then I make some little program to forward this text from this TCP socket to the fifo. In fact, I don't even need to make something, I can just use netcat for that. However, I don't really know anything about writing android apps, and it's been almost 20 years since I even tried Java. If I were to do it, there's considerable static friction before I can get moving.

I mentioned this idea to Max Redmond, a member of my local hackerspace (these days, that's HackRVA) and hey presto, now we have an android app that does exactly what I imagined.

It's here:

Source code: https://github.com/Athulus/SpaceNerdsCommunicator
Releases: https://github.com/Athulus/SpaceNerdsCo ... r/releases

To use this with SNIS, find out the IP address of one of the machines running snis_client, then
run this in a terminal:

{l Code}: {l Select All Code}
netcat -lvk -p 8080 > /tmp/snis-natural-language-fifo

Then run the app on your android device, set the IP address, and then you can hit the microphone button and talk. Android will do the speech recognition (and do a much better job of it than pocketsphinx does) and the text will get forwarded to netcat and then into snis_client, and finally to snis_server, where it will be processed. It does not have the "Computer" hot word though.

It occurs to me now that unlike the fifo, the socket is a 2-way communications channel, so it might be worthwhile to set up a special socket for getting the NL text into snis_client and use that instead of or in addition to a fifo so that responses could be sent back to the android device as text (and then maybe text-to-speech). Then you could operate the ship from a phone remotely and at least get the responses from the computer instead of operating completely blind. Not that it would be super useful to try to play the game remotely via voice control without any visible output.

Perhaps a role-play mission where you're stranded on a planet, and you have to bring the unmanned ship into orbit around your planet using voice alone. i.e. "Set a course for planet X", "full speed ahead", "how far to planet X" (repeat until the reported number is small enough), "standard orbit", "beam me up scotty". Well, it's not much of a mission, I suppose.
smcameron

Postby smcameron » 07 Jul 2018, 21:10

Here's a picture of Space Nerds In Space built and running on Windows 10 using the linux subsystem (not that it looks any different than on linux):

Surprisingly straightforward.
smcameron

Postby smcameron » 28 Jul 2018, 02:01

Latest dev update video for Space Nerds In Space, 2018-07-27:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=60oUfXtFlI4
Last edited by smcameron on 12 Jul 2019, 15:42, edited 1 time in total.
smcameron

Postby charlie » 02 Aug 2018, 00:55

That network scaling issue was an interesting one, I bet. Was it some kind of loop that should not have been there?
Free Gamer - it's the dogz
Vexi - web UI platform
charlie
Global Moderator

Postby smcameron » 02 Aug 2018, 10:17

You can read about debugging that issue here, where I spend a good deal of time chasing red herrings before figuring it out. But to skip to the "good part"...

In the most general terms, the cause of the problem was "the programmer got confused because there were too many layers of abstraction for him (me) at the moment he wrote that code." More specifically, I knew that some information needed to get to all the clients, so I called a function that sprayed the information to all the clients. However, I was calling this from a place that was already in a per-client context (already being called per client), so for each client, I sprayed the information to each client (that is to say, instead of n times, n^2 times.) I wasn't doing this for *all* the data, but for a subset of data that was particular to NPC ships (of which there are a lot, so not an insignificant amount.) so it's not quite true that the traffic literally scaled as the square of the number of clients, but it is true that it scaled as the square of the number of clients asymptotically -- the more clients there were, the closer to the true square the amount of traffic became. Also, I think it was actually number of clients *per bridge* squared, times number of bridges... but in this particular case, the number of bridges was 1.

The fix was essentially to replace the call to the function which sprayed the data out to all clients with a call to a function that just transmitted to one client. There was also some mutex confusion in there that got fixed, which may or may not have contributed to the problem.

How I found the n^2 problem was, unfortunately, really just by staring at the code and noticing it, rather than by some Sherlockian sequence of deductive steps.
smcameron

Postby smcameron » 16 Aug 2018, 21:12

Dev update 2018-08-16: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MwmLa1IOmJg

* Now the lobby IP address can be automatically detected
* New console on Demon screen
* You can control permissible roles for each client from the Demon screen
* Tweakable variables now accessible from the Demon screen
Last edited by smcameron on 12 Jul 2019, 15:43, edited 1 time in total.
smcameron

Postby smcameron » 09 Sep 2018, 22:44

Dev update for 2018-09-09 -- mostly debugging tools.

https://youtu.be/lq1MvX-4TVE
Last edited by smcameron on 12 Jul 2019, 15:43, edited 1 time in total.
smcameron

Postby smcameron » 04 Oct 2018, 00:53

Dev update for 2018-10-03

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CFBD6WqT14o

* Auto-wrangler system for automatically starting and stopping snis_server processes on demand.
* Importing Oolite models
* Normal mapping
* Ship registration and Bounty system
Last edited by smcameron on 12 Jul 2019, 15:44, edited 1 time in total.
smcameron

Postby sudoRmRf » 21 Oct 2018, 02:13

In one of your recent update videos you discribed a theoretical MMO use but then stated that this all was not likely as it is hard enough to get 5 people to play let alone many crews. Is there some sort of limitation preventing the use of a public server running SNIS, where my three people crew could meet at my house and interact with another crew somewhere else? Or is it just simply such servers do not exist?
sudoRmRf

Postby smcameron » 23 Oct 2018, 01:35

sudoRmRf {l Wrote}:In one of your recent update videos you discribed a theoretical MMO use but then stated that this all was not likely as it is hard enough to get 5 people to play let alone many crews. Is there some sort of limitation preventing the use of a public server running SNIS, where my three people crew could meet at my house and interact with another crew somewhere else? Or is it just simply such servers do not exist?

Technically it can run that way, on a server on the internet with remote crew members, and I have run it that way once or twice just by myself to see how it would perform with a server in New York (a digitalocean droplet) with me in Virginia. It's not a great experience though, the latency is a bit of a problem, although it worked better than I expected -- almost normally, but not quite, occasionally sort of freezing up for a few moments at a time. I didn't try it for very long, or really try to characterize the behavior in any depth -- just ran it for a few minutes out of curiosity. Total bandwidth could be a problem as well, since each client requires approximately 100kbytes / sec, though it varies somewhat depending on how many things are going on in the game, and you could in theory design some Lua script missions to use not very many objects and drastically reduce bandwidth requirements that way.

But basically, the design has always been for a LAN game with everyone in the same room, and for a LAN game with no more than about 20 clients. With those constraints, 100kbytes / sec / client is not a big problem. Over the internet, it's a bit more of a problem.

If you want to try such an experiment yourself to see how it is, here are some instructions.

Note, those instructions are sort of mixed together with instructions about running the game with no lobby, but there's no reason you couldn't also run the lobby on the same host, and run the clients more "normally", which, if you wanted to have multiple solar systems and traverse between them, you must run the lobby server (ssgl_server), since it's part of how that works.

It is also true that "such servers do not exist", at least not to my knowledge (I don't run any.) Nothing's stopping anyone from running such a thing, but I would not advise doing so on any machine that hosts anything valuable, I'm fairly sure any determined attacker could manage to gain shell access via snis_server if they tried (not to say I know of any particular exploit, but I'd just be surprised if there weren't some bug somewhere in there that gave enough of a toehold.)
smcameron

Postby smcameron » 03 Nov 2018, 17:29

Six Years of Space Nerds In Space:

https://youtu.be/RAboPRjI4Vg
Last edited by smcameron on 12 Jul 2019, 15:44, edited 1 time in total.
smcameron

Postby GunChleoc » 06 Nov 2018, 21:11

Thanks, I enjoyed watching that :)
GunChleoc

Postby MCMic » 15 Jan 2019, 10:40

Hello,

First, congratulations on this project, it’s quite impressive.

I will try to find enough people and hardware to test it, and I have a few questions/remarks after reading the website.

1. What is the black empty space on the COMMS screen for? Seems like wasted space, more text lines could be shown, in my tests nothing ever showed there.
  2. I get a lot of errors in the output about files that could not be found, for instance "/usr/share/snis/textures/green-spark.png", am I missing files? I can’t find those in the git repo either. I’m using the AUR package on ArchLinux.
  3. What is the sound server role checkbox for?
  4. I failed to launch any lua script, it says it cannot find the script, but the path it’s showing starts with share/ and not /usr/share/ so I’m thinking maybe the prefix is missing in the script path in the code?
  5. If I look into /usr/share/snis/luascripts I only have 7 scripts and I do not have the SAVING-PLANET-ERPH.LUA for instance, are some missions missing from make install? (It would be good if missions could be separated from other luascripts in some way, so that we can know which scenarios are available to play and which scripts are just testing or tools)
  6. Is there any recommendation on controls? I expect a joystick for weapon control would come in handy, are there other posts which profit from specific control devices?
  7. The first time I tried to build the AUR package it failed on a cp of the TTS script, saying bin dir did not exists. I’m thinking this is some random problem depending on the order the make threads are run.
  8. The liberapay account is broken since they changed money operator and you did not configure the new one (it’s more like their money operator ditch them…)

I have a github account so I can open issues if needed.
MCMic

Postby smcameron » 16 Jan 2019, 02:08

MCMic {l Wrote}:Hello,

First, congratulations on this project, it’s quite impressive.

I will try to find enough people and hardware to test it, and I have a few questions/remarks after reading the website.

1. What is the black empty space on the COMMS screen for? Seems like wasted space, more text lines could be shown, in my tests nothing ever showed there.

Some stuff appears there if you turn the experimental Real Time Strategy mode on. A little over a year ago I started adding some real-time-strategy elements to the game, though it's not really completed. I should probably work on that some more. To turn on the RTS mode, go to the demon screen and type "rtsmode-on". To turn it off, type "rtsmode-off". The idea is supposed to be similar to an old SEGA genesis game called Herzog Zwei. COMMS can command the home planet and any occupied starbases to build various ships, and can command those ships. Send troop ships to starbases to take them over (and gain more building power) Utimately, destroy the opponent's home planet with your fleet. The RTS mode is not really fully implemented or well balanced or tested, and the UI is pretty strange, to say the least, but it's sort of in there. There's a video about it here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8V8oLyaxsKo

• I get a lot of errors in the output about files that could not be found, for instance "/usr/share/snis/textures/green-spark.png", am I missing files? I can’t find those in the git repo either. I’m using the AUR package on ArchLinux.

• github issue here: https://github.com/smcameron/space-nerd ... issues/179

• What is the sound server role checkbox for?

• The idea is you have a bunch of people in the same room playing the game. Most likely, only one of the computers is hooked up to the giant stereo system. If that computer is denoted as the "sound server", then that's where most of the sound effects, etc. will go, so that when you get hit by a torpedo, it makes a room-shaking blast from the big stereo, and not just a tiny pop from a laptop speaker. Same idea with the "text to speech" server.

• I failed to launch any lua script, it says it cannot find the script, but the path it’s showing starts with share/ and not /usr/share/ so I’m thinking maybe the prefix is missing in the script path in the code?

• github issue here: https://github.com/smcameron/space-nerd ... issues/177

• If I look into /usr/share/snis/luascripts I only have 7 scripts and I do not have the SAVING-PLANET-ERPH.LUA for instance, are some missions missing from make install? (It would be good if missions could be separated from other luascripts in some way, so that we can know which scenarios are available to play and which scripts are just testing or tools)

• github issue here: https://github.com/smcameron/space-nerd ... issues/178

• Is there any recommendation on controls? I expect a joystick for weapon control would come in handy, are there other posts which profit from specific control devices?

• Joystick actually doesn't work that well for weapons, kind of hard to aim. Mouse works better. Joystick or HOTAS works pretty well for NAV, rudder pedals too. Config is in share/snis/joystick_config.txt

Mostly, keyboard and mouse should be sufficient.

• The first time I tried to build the AUR package it failed on a cp of the TTS script, saying bin dir did not exists. I’m thinking this is some random problem depending on the order the make threads are run.

• github issue here: https://github.com/smcameron/space-nerd ... issues/176 (see 2nd comment... that you wrote, of course. :)

• The liberapay account is broken since they changed money operator and you did not configure the new one (it’s more like their money operator ditch them…)

• Huh. Nobody's ever tried to use that as far as I know. I'll have to look into it.

I have a github account so I can open issues if needed.

I noticed. :)
    smcameron

Postby smcameron » 17 Jan 2019, 00:40

The liberapay account is broken since they changed money operator and you did not configure the new one (it’s more like their money operator ditch them…)

Ok... I think it should be fixed now. Patreon also works.
    smcameron

Postby MCMic » 17 Jan 2019, 10:37

Yeah it worked, but the way liberapay works is a bit weird now, this is the fist time I use it since their problem with mangopay…

Joystick actually doesn't work that well for weapons, kind of hard to aim.

Surprising. I’ll have to test.
    Mouse works better. Joystick or HOTAS works pretty well for NAV, rudder pedals too. Config is in share/snis/joystick_config.txt

Yeah I saw that I’ll hack into it as soon as I get my hand on a joystick. (I only have a fighting game joystick right now, does not seem appropriate… https://www.amazon.com/HORI-Real-Arcade ... B00SULMRI4 )

Ok, but I felt like putting a bit different controls on each post to make them stand out from each other.
    From what I’ve computed Weapons would need only joystick (or mouse), Engineering only mouse (or tactile), and Comms could have only keyboard (if I find a way to click those buttons from keyboard. And a real Red alert button would be extra cool).

I started to hack together a project to build an ISO for playing Space Nerds In Space from a USB stick (or live CD): https://gitlab.com/MCMic/snislive
    It works when built on my computer but I’m trying to get gitlab CI to build it for me and put the ISO for download.
    The ISO is 800Mo and uses LXDE.
    There is a slight bug with text rendering in terminals, not sure where that comes from.
    The game launches and works fine. Only real problem I had is no wifi on my computer which requires a broadcom driver only available in the AUR (not easy to install AUR packages in the ISO, plus this one is non-free so I think it would not be legal).
    I also had some differences on where some widgets show up in the game, making things overlap on the engineering screen. Not sure if that’s from the resolution difference or GTK configuration or whatever.
    MCMic

Postby smcameron » 17 Jan 2019, 15:55

MCMic {l Wrote}:

Yeah it worked, but the way liberapay works is a bit weird now, this is the fist time I use it since their problem with mangopay…

I noticed some money showed up in my paypal, presumably you did that. Thank you very much!

Joystick actually doesn't work that well for weapons, kind of hard to aim.

Surprising. I’ll have to test.
    Mouse works better. Joystick or HOTAS works pretty well for NAV, rudder pedals too. Config is in share/snis/joystick_config.txt

Yeah I saw that I’ll hack into it as soon as I get my hand on a joystick. (I only have a fighting game joystick right now, does not seem appropriate… https://www.amazon.com/HORI-Real-Arcade ... -4/dp/B00S

I have used "Thrustmaster T16000M FCS Flight Pack" that I got cheap as an opened box from Fry's successfully as well as the "HOTAS Warthog" (not mine) though that one is quite expensive. One thing I should work on is the game assumes all joystick buttons are momentary switches, but sometimes there can be toggle switches like on HOTAS Warthog, and the game still treats them as momentary.

Ok, but I felt like putting a bit different controls on each post to make them stand out from each other.
    From what I’ve computed Weapons would need only joystick (or mouse), Engineering only mouse (or tactile), and Comms could have only keyboard (if I find a way to click those buttons from keyboard. And a real Red alert button would be extra cool).

There is some code to enable custom built control panels, however it is not well exercised, so probably has some missing features. There is a little library in snis-device-io.h and snis-device-io.c and an example of using them in device-io-sample-1.c. The idea is you build a little control panel using (say) an arduino and write a little program to communicate with your arduino via the serial port to poll the state of control panel buttons, toggle switches, potentiometers or whatever you dream up in the way of controls, and then translate this state into actions transmitted to the game as defined by snis-device-io.* The little library takes care of setting up a socket to communicate with the game via snis_device_io_setup(), and you transmit actions to the game via snis_device_io_send(). At this point, the traffic is one-way -- that is there is no information from the game sent back to the custom control panels -- which would mean creating an engineering screen with a bunch of LEDs to show power and coolant status would not be possible with the current code, though it could be expanded of course -- there just isn't demand for it (except my own demand, which has so far not been strong enough.) The farthest I got in the way of building a control panel is one time I made torpedos be fire-able via a toggle switch and an arduino: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w6vwbhHMmI4

I started to hack together a project to build an ISO for playing Space Nerds In Space from a USB stick (or live CD): https://gitlab.com/MCMic/snislive
    It works when built on my computer but I’m trying to get gitlab CI to build it for me and put the ISO for download.
    The ISO is 800Mo and uses LXDE.

Cool!

There is a slight bug with text rendering in terminals, not sure where that comes from.
    The game launches and works fine. Only real problem I had is no wifi on my computer which requires a broadcom driver only available in the AUR (not easy to install AUR packages in the ISO, plus this one is non-free so I think it would not be legal).
    I also had some differences on where some widgets show up in the game, making things overlap on the engineering screen. Not sure if that’s from the resolution difference or GTK configuration or whatever.

In general, I have found that it's ok for one or two stations to use wifi, but generally things work better with a wired setup. As for things rendering weirdly, at different resolutions, that is quite possible. It should detect the aspect ratio, and make some crude adjustments, but it might not be ideal. If you look in snis_launcher, line 25, you can see some different aspect ratios. Really though, the aspect ratio handling is kind of hacky, and the positioning of widgets on the screen is also pretty hacky. It's kind of a hard problem.
    smcameron

Postby MCMic » 17 Jan 2019, 17:00

smcameron {l Wrote}:I noticed some money showed up in my paypal, presumably you did that. Thank you very much!

You’re welcome! It’s supposed to be a yearly donation cause of how liberapay works. We’ll see in one year if I’m still playing snis and if liberapay is still existing ^^

smcameron {l Wrote}:There is some code to enable custom built control panels, however it is not well exercised, so probably has some missing features. There is a little library in snis-device-io.h and snis-device-io.c and an example of using them in device-io-sample-1.c. The idea is you build a little control panel using (say) an arduino and write a little program to communicate with your arduino via the serial port to poll the state of control panel buttons, toggle switches, potentiometers or whatever you dream up in the way of controls, and then translate this state into actions transmitted to the game as defined by snis-device-io.* The little library takes care of setting up a socket to communicate with the game via snis_device_io_setup(), and you transmit actions to the game via snis_device_io_send(). At this point, the traffic is one-way -- that is there is no information from the game sent back to the custom control panels -- which would mean creating an engineering screen with a bunch of LEDs to show power and coolant status would not be possible with the current code, though it could be expanded of course -- there just isn't demand for it (except my own demand, which has so far not been strong enough.) The farthest I got in the way of building a control panel is one time I made torpedos be fire-able via a toggle switch and an arduino: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w6vwbhHMmI4

Nice one!
    I’m not good with electronics and low-level stuff like arduino.
    If I manage to play I will probably give feedback here and show what we used for input.

smcameron {l Wrote}:In general, I have found that it's ok for one or two stations to use wifi, but generally things work better with a wired setup.

Ok, I’ll have to hunt for ethernet cables as well then.

smcameron {l Wrote}:As for things rendering weirdly, at different resolutions, that is quite possible. It should detect the aspect ratio, and make some crude adjustments, but it might not be ideal. If you look in snis_launcher, line 25, you can see some different aspect ratios. Really though, the aspect ratio handling is kind of hacky, and the positioning of widgets on the screen is also pretty hacky. It's kind of a hard problem.

I did notice some weirdness and problems in the widgets placements, I think at some point I’ll try to see if I can help on this front.

New question:
    I got an old computer (Thinkpad X200) with Xubuntu 18.04 on it. The game builds fine but then gives a black screen instead of the window content.
    I looked at the output and it says GLSL 1.30 is not supported by my computer.
    I checked and it’s true, this hardware does not support OpenGL 3 and newer.
    Is there any hope around this problem or is it impossible to render the game on such a computer?
    (I used make update-assets, would it help if I use make models instead? To build the models on the same hardware?)
    MCMic

Postby smcameron » 17 Jan 2019, 21:34

MCMic {l Wrote}:New question:
    I got an old computer (Thinkpad X200) with Xubuntu 18.04 on it. The game builds fine but then gives a black screen instead of the window content.
    I looked at the output and it says GLSL 1.30 is not supported by my computer.
    I checked and it’s true, this hardware does not support OpenGL 3 and newer.
    Is there any hope around this problem or is it impossible to render the game on such a computer?
    (I used make update-assets, would it help if I use make models instead? To build the models on the same hardware?)

If you run snis_limited_client (menu item 5 in snis_launcher instead of 4), then you don't need opengl. However, you should probably only use COMMS, SCIENCE, ENGINEERING, and DAMAGE CONTROL, the other screens (NAV, WEAPONS, MAIN VIEW, DEMON) will probably not work very well (it won't hurt anything to try them, but you'll see that they don't work very well.)

If you notice a red FPS indicator appear in the upper left hand corner of the screen, it means things are running a little too slow (it shows up if things drop below 29 frames per second). I have seen it show up when using the limited client on the login screen, but once past that, ENG, SCI, DAMAGE CONTROL, and COMMS seemed to be ok.
    smcameron

Postby MCMic » 19 Jan 2019, 11:29

Regarding Engineering screen:
    • What does the "Deploy chaff" button does? It’s not explained on the website.
    • What does the COMMS PWR slider does? It’s at 0 in preset 1 and yet the COMMS screen seems to work fine.
    MCMic