Unsealed: Whispers of Wisdom

Unsealed: Whispers of Wisdom

Postby Nushio » 22 Sep 2012, 18:07

I'd love to get some feedback on my project, Unsealed: Whispers of Wisdom. The game's made in Java, uses the very awesome LibGDX and is licensed GPLv3 (code) / CC-By-SA 3.0 (content)

The game was made for the Liberated Pixel Cup competition, organized by the Free Software Foundation, Creative Commons, Mozilla and Open Game Art.

In summary, the game is an "Action RPG" that parodies Open Source vs Apple. The story mode is sort of an animated slideshow with battles in between, while the Battle Arena mode (Which is currently being worked on) is a battle against unlimited enemies.

The GitHub repo has a roadmap (issues) of what I'll be working on for the next releases, but I'd love to hear some thoughts from others about what areas I should also improve.

Thanks!
Check out Unsealed: Whispers of Wisdom, an ActionRPG about Open Sourcerers against Privative Wizards.
Nushio

Re: Unsealed: Whispers of Wisdom

Postby MCMic » 24 Sep 2012, 11:27

Could someone do an AUR package for this? I'm not sure how to package Java :-S
MCMic

Postby qubodup » 24 Sep 2012, 14:13

qubodup
Global Moderator

Postby Nushio » 24 Sep 2012, 15:27

I understand the need for packaging, however the game is playable without packaging it, just download the jar, and run it either via terminal (java -jar Unsealed.jar) or if java is set up correctly, by double clicking it.

I'm currently working on a Fedora Package (Which I know, isn't what you requested) and would really appreciate if someone packaged it for other distros. How does Arch handle bundling libraries? My game requires LibGDX (And in Fedora's case, I need to package LibGDX independent from the game)
Check out Unsealed: Whispers of Wisdom, an ActionRPG about Open Sourcerers against Privative Wizards.
Nushio

Postby MCMic » 24 Sep 2012, 15:59

Nushio {l Wrote}:I understand the need for packaging, however the game is playable without packaging it, just download the jar, and run it either via terminal (java -jar Unsealed.jar) or if java is set up correctly, by double clicking it.

I'm currently working on a Fedora Package (Which I know, isn't what you requested) and would really appreciate if someone packaged it for other distros. How does Arch handle bundling libraries? My game requires LibGDX (And in Fedora's case, I need to package LibGDX independent from the game)

Sure, I'm just used to using AUR packages, and it assures me less trouble. And I kind of know that unless it's a really uninteresting game there's gonna be an AUR package sooner or later…
It's not your role to do an AUR package if you're not using ArchLinux, don't worry.

Most of the time, if I don't find a game in the packages and I manage to make it work, I package it myself.
MCMic

Postby MCMic » 24 Sep 2012, 16:05

Oh, Nushio, I noticed you're uploading all your version under the same name (I noticed the message "The version above was uploaded on Tuesday, August 21, 2012. If you downloaded it before, you have the old version.").
That's not good for AUR package, because they include an md5 sum, so when you update a new file, the package will stop working until it's updated to the new version.
It's a best habit to upload the files as nameofthegame-version.whatever .
MCMic

Postby Nushio » 24 Sep 2012, 16:11

Does this help in any way? I remembered a fellow LPC Contestant made an AUR Package.

https://aur.archlinux.org/packages.php?ID=61408

MCMic: IMO, the packages shouldn't use my jar file, they should build it themselves from git. It shouldn't be hard to do so.
Nushio

Postby MCMic » 24 Sep 2012, 16:23

Some comment on the game itself, as I just tested it:
- It's a shame that we can't choose keys, playing with wasd on an azerty keyboard is kind of hard
- There's something weird with the look of this game, that is wrong, something like pixels that does not have all the same size. I did not noticed this weird look on the other LPC game I tested, maybe this problem is linked to the fact that I've changed the window size to a bigger one.
- I was surprised to see the battles are real time, the screenshot really made me think it was a turn based thing.
- I don't like the face that if I change row while launching a spell it's launched on the new row, it seems it's not always the case, maybe there is a spelling delay, if that's the case, something should be made so that it's obvious to the player
- The fact that the spell is launched at the height of the character arms makes it look like its on the upper row, same thing here, something should be done so that it's more obvious which row it's one, maybe just a shadow would be enough

I died at the first battle, against the snakes. (but against the last batch of them)

PS: about the packaging from git, it's possible, but a git package is something considered unstable while a stable package is supposed to be synch with upstream release. So you should upload somewhere source archive for each release and the package would be based on that. The other solution is to inform the packager of which git revision should be used for each release, but that means the package will require git to be built.

[EDIT] indeed, there IS an AUR package for your game, it's just not showing to the keyword "unsealed", I informed the packager about this.
MCMic

Postby shirish » 05 Jun 2013, 04:56

I'm waiting for libgdx to come into the Debian archive before I try this one.
shirish