Engoo

Engoo

Postby leilei » 18 Aug 2012, 20:59

To put it simply, it's a software-rendered Quake port with added features like MIDI, sound pitching, weapon bobbing and colored lighting and some other crap done in a coding rush month of Nov 2010

It compiles for Windows with MSVC6 and for DOS with DJGPP

How hard would an additional multiplatform SDL target be? I mean, it'd have to hook up through with its own sys_sdl.c and vid_sdl.c files instead of compromising the existing build targets

Here's a screenshot of it
leilei

Re: Engoo

Postby Julius » 20 Aug 2012, 20:06

Exciting!
Julius
Community Moderator

Postby leilei » 05 May 2013, 16:43

I've been in another 'code rush' lately so the renderer has been turned to 11.
and down to -11

Hopefully when things mature, these changes can be backported to Quake2 ref_soft (like maybe for r1ch) or Hammer of Thyrion.

(also it still doesn't have SDL support, DUMB music playback (as in using DUMB for tracker formats and ogg), or the stretchable window I wanted)
(though what I could really use is OpenGL or Direct3D support for the display context so I can have this supporting the Steam overlay)
leilei

Postby leilei » 11 May 2013, 21:42

Things are looking a bit more "unrealistic" now :)

I also have window stretching, but for Windows, and it just initializes a new mode for the new resized window.

Also a reminder, there's still no linux support (or at least, there is, but it has been heavily unmaintained without a change since 2002). Anyone willing to submit a multiplatform SDL patch or a DUMB playback patch?

One of the things engoo needs in video support is the second buffer, "reflectbuffer" to get water reflections working, which currently only works in DirectDraw on Windows.
leilei

Postby leilei » 22 May 2013, 19:12

well, there goes my motivation. Released a beta somewhere days ago with zero feedback, and there's no interest here either, might as well just close this then.
leilei

Postby Julius » 22 May 2013, 19:50

Well, it looks somewhat cool, but I have to be honest... I fail to see the point as even mobile phones have hardware accelerated graphics these days. So it seems to be a rather "look what I can do" project, for which you can't really expect other peoples praise, no?
Julius
Community Moderator

Postby Evropi » 22 May 2013, 20:12

What Julius said. I touched my first computer in 2002. My parents were a bit luddite-ish for a while, but then allowed me perfect freedom in pretty much everything for some reason.

I tried playing DOOM once, back in 2009 or so and... yeah, this kind of thing is not for me. I'm sorry but I just can't deal with graphics like this. They honestly seem to lead to inferior gameplay. I'm not sure if Quake has freeaim actually, but seriously, 2.5D games are not for everyone.
You just wasted 3 seconds of your life reading this.
Evropi

Postby Julius » 22 May 2013, 20:26

Well, it is full 3D, just done with a software renderer. And having grown-up playing games a lot in the pre-Voodoo3D era I can certainly see the charm of that graphics style (Unreal 1 looked fabulous on the software renderer).
However, it's 2013 now and I can't think of another reason than nostalgia to have a modernized software renderer engine...
Julius
Community Moderator

Postby leilei » 22 May 2013, 20:34

thanks for making it even worse with this spoiled-with-opengl "its 2013 whats the point" attitude, it's just what I needed. Forget I said anything and excuse me for not proposing a goddamn MMO.

If you want an OpenGL engine that does what this does, go play Darkplaces, which also by the way has a "pointless" software renderer as well, and it requires SSE2.

You didn't think my asset reboot project had a point either probably because it's not Xonotic. It's not like that I ever told you that your hobbies have no point.

I never thought i'd expect this kind of closedmindedness from the Open Source community. It just makes me want to bail out of here and develop non-Free projects.
leilei

Postby Julius » 22 May 2013, 21:24

Yes Darkplaces is nice, mkay? ;)

My point was a different one though... if it is a hobby of yours, than the fun of doing it should be sufficient for doing it, no?

Other than that, I was merely explaining why I think most people don't seem to agree that it is a praise worthy way of spending your time, and thus the lack of positive responses to it (which you seem to be craving for). However you seem to be in a rather depressed mood, so just take your time and when you feel like it just continue with what you have fun doing :)

P.S.: If you want to experiment with something more modern, there are some cool things happening on the polycount forum right now, with people trying to use shading detail removing normal-maps for a more anime like in-game look: http://www.polycount.com/forum/showpost ... stcount=73
Julius
Community Moderator

Postby oberhamsi » 23 May 2013, 07:27

I like the looks!

Maybe if you did a small video of it, people would appreciate it more... seeing how it looks in action.

And didn't quake1 start out with a software renderer? I guess you added features, right?
oberhamsi

Postby Egberto » 23 May 2013, 17:04

leilei {l Wrote}:thanks for making it even worse with this spoiled-with-opengl "its 2013 whats the point" attitude, it's just what I needed. Forget I said anything and excuse me for not proposing a goddamn MMO.

Calm down, is good to have a personal project, you made me recall a project of mine (a CRPG in text mode, and really wanted to finish it someday soon). But I'm sure that not so many people will play it (probably nobody).

But I don't care, I know that personal projects of this kind are not popular :(

leilei {l Wrote}:I never thought i'd expect this kind of closedmindedness from the Open Source community. It just makes me want to bail out of here and develop non-Free projects.

Hey, we are 2000+ members in this forums, everyone have their opinions, is fine to think different, have different tastes. I enjoy very different kind of games, roguelikes are some of them (graphically many look outdated, but if they are fun ... what's the problem?).
Egberto

Postby charlie » 24 May 2013, 10:37

oberhamsi {l Wrote}:I like the looks!

Maybe if you did a small video of it, people would appreciate it more... seeing how it looks in action.

And didn't quake1 start out with a software renderer? I guess you added features, right?

This. :)

Remember, Quake is a proprietary game, only the engine is open source, so it is tough to see the application of Engoo beyond being able to play an old proprietary game.

It looks good but what motivation is there to the reader to reach out and try it? I don't have a copy of Quake any more. I can't just download and play this. So... what am I supposed to say?
Free Gamer - it's the dogz
Vexi - web UI platform
charlie
Global Moderator