The Golden Coin (RPG)

Re: The Golden Coin (RPG)

Postby TheAncientGoat » 29 Jun 2010, 14:22

So you have a bunch of skybox images + different light entities and then change them every few minutes/seconds? How do you handle shadows, don't they have to re-calculated if you move them?

I ask because we have a day/night plugin in syntensity that automatically generates skyboxes + clouds, and have a dynamic light that moves, but the shadows look a bit strange because we haven't figured out a good way to recalculate/blend them
TheAncientGoat
Community Moderator

Postby damiandj » 29 Jun 2010, 17:13

Before the real shower :D

PS: don't look at the textures and the ambient color, I will change them....instead look at the sky and on the water!! =)
PS: the sky is moving faster before it's starting to rain...like real, hihi

damiandj

Postby charlie » 29 Jun 2010, 22:16

We need to get this building on Linux though... :(
Free Gamer - it's the dogz
Vexi - web UI platform
charlie
Global Moderator

Postby damiandj » 02 Jul 2010, 07:30

TheAncientGoat {l Wrote}:So you have a bunch of skybox images + different light entities and then change them every few minutes/seconds? How do you handle shadows, don't they have to re-calculated if you move them?

I ask because we have a day/night plugin in syntensity that automatically generates skyboxes + clouds, and have a dynamic light that moves, but the shadows look a bit strange because we haven't figured out a good way to recalculate/blend them

For the moment I will let the shadow "static", that means that if it's 11.00am or 3.00pm the shadow is still in the same way. I think I will maybe take out the third person view, so there you can't see your shadow, but I'm taking it out for another problem.....that's how I will advance until I can find a solution :) You will play TGC also very much at night(ingame :D ), at bad weather, underground in a underworld scenary so the shadow problem isn't really a priority for me :)

charlie {l Wrote}:We need to get this building on Linux though... :(

Until today you missed nothing ;) That means that the game isn't nearly finished. I was always thinking to convert the game to run on Linux. Don't worry I will do that If it agrees :cool:
damiandj

Postby TheAncientGoat » 02 Jul 2010, 09:34

Yes, but if you have it working on linux, you could advertise it on linux gaming sites (like HappyPenguin and LinuxGameDatabase) and maybe get more people willing to help you.
TheAncientGoat
Community Moderator

Postby damiandj » 02 Jul 2010, 09:57

TheAncientGoat {l Wrote}:Yes, but if you have it working on linux, you could advertise it on linux gaming sites (like HappyPenguin and LinuxGameDatabase) and maybe get more people willing to help you.

I don't want too much help :D I like to create The Golden Coin, every aspect of it. :) I don't have a linux version working right now, but I will advertise on linux sites when I'ts done, thanks for your advice :cool:
damiandj

Postby damiandj » 01 Aug 2010, 08:23

Hi great followers!!! I'm again ready to present a little progress report about the upcoming release v0.400. First of all I would like to thank all people for your support and especially our registered members. So all members of our official homepage will enjoy a lot of extra content such as special items, quests and other features that we will prepare soon. But let's talk about the development build.

WORLD:

Currently we are at work on the new island "Delecia" that will completely replace the old world(Arnaria). That means that every world part will be completely new to explore. There will be more then one village, different scenarios and more small islands. The world will be filled with a lot of new intresting details such as kitchen tools, great temples and really much more. There is a great lighthouse near a port as you can see from this very old picture of Delecia.

PERFORMANCE:

The new world will be more stable and the game will run with very low details on almost every computer around. There will be 7 performance settings. Very-low, low, medium, high, very high, ultra high, and ultimate. Most of the players will sure be able to play the game on medium details. The ultimate setting is only for those "crazy" people that want to render every single particle and effect in the same time. I was also thinking to introduce a performance test separate from the game. There you can clearly see the right detail setting for you. Now there is better support for Anti-Aliasing (up to max 8x) on ATI cards. The gamma bug with NVIDIA cards that made the dungeon too dark is not anymore a problem. The grass is again a lot better then in the last release and also a few game crash have been fixed.

GAMEPLAY:

At the moment we don't have implemented great new gameplay features. To remember is that v0.400 will feature absolutely full savegame support. We have already implemented a time counter. So in the main menu you can see the played time and other intresting statistics. I also want to confirm that we have already a few cutscenes working in the game.

That's all and at last I would like to say that the name of our team is now "Somnium".
Can't wait to release more news about the big upcoming game.
damiandj

Postby damiandj » 19 Aug 2010, 10:28

The brand new official homepage 3.0 is online!!! For those that don't know, The Golden Coin (TGC) is a completely free 3D role-playing game based on the powerful Cube 2: Sauerbratem engine. Feel free to register to our homepage and enjoy our ambitious game.

>> http://www.thegoldencoin.do.am <<

damiandj

Postby charlie » 25 Aug 2010, 12:03

How's progress on 0.400?
Vexi - web UI platform
charlie
Global Moderator

Postby damiandj » 23 Sep 2010, 22:31

Currently I'm working to implement several new models (over 30 !!!). Unfortunately this takes some time. I hope to finish soon ...
Then I will present some of the new content in the second progress update of v0.400. Consider that I'm working again almost alone =(

....Maybe you can expect something for the moddb awards 2010 (december/january)

PS: Can't wait to release it!!!
damiandj

Postby charlie » 24 Sep 2010, 09:45

Release early, release often. Don't be afraid to do development releases to generate interest in the project. The best way to attract contributors is to get more people interested!
Vexi - web UI platform
charlie
Global Moderator

Postby damiandj » 24 Sep 2010, 11:37

Yeah, it's a nice idea. But there is already .300 as demo that anyone can try. There are also a lot of pictures and videos, more to come......and I would like to present a finished game.

Note1: I like to develop this game and I'm almost 1 year at work. If I can survive one year I will finish it a day, also if I'm ALMOST alone ;-)
Note2: I will release also a linux version of .400 when i don't encounter major problems...
damiandj

Postby charlie » 15 Sep 2011, 00:35

TGC website {l Wrote}:"The Golden Coin" (TGC) is currently unfortunately frozen due to many development issues. The source code went partially lost, so let down every hope on an update there for now...

Which is a shame.

Source code lost... I mean, this is why Sourceforge etc exists. Also, if TGC had a more open development model, you could have reached out to the community for potential solutions.

What a shame. Another project lost to the ether.
Vexi - web UI platform
charlie
Global Moderator