The City Game Project

The City Game Project

Postby kiba » 01 Mar 2012, 08:58

I am developing a colony simulator called "The City", which is set in the far future in a huge dyson sphere. It's similar to Dwarf Fortress. In this game, you control a bunch of colonists to construct and build a thriving city in....a vast empty cityscape. Inspiration is heavily based on the manga BLAME! The first human colonists you'll get is Killy and Cibo. This project is only three months old and I am basically the only developer.

All assets and codebase are PUBLIC DOMAIN, unless otherwise specified, such as license for external libraries like processing.js and jquery.

You can play a continuously updated and experimental demo at: http://thecity.kibabase.com/

You don't have to actually download anything. Just make sure you have chrome or firefox, but not IE. I will probably fix for the IE version someday, if I can figure out how to preserve some debugging info.

You can follow the project at its github page: https://github.com/kiba/The-City

Right now, I already written code for:

1. Pathfinding (Proudest personal accomplishment so far! Uses A* pathfinding)

2. Combat - You can get disability, disallowing you to walk or...handle things. Also, it tracks damage to your eyes, skulls, and so on. Main mode of survival is to kill the guy first and dodge hits.

3. Resource gathering.

4. Boar invasions. Come to steal your crystals and resources. Currently very hard to kills.

5. Terrain generation. At least some of it. Right now, it create paths between all your crystal trees. Mostly, I just have some of the framework for terrain generation down.

6. Complicated redrawing routine. It was my first optimization since I noticed the FPS is caused by redrawing everything at once. I hate doing this code the most, as I preferred to work on code relating to gameplay. Even so, it gave me a perspective on why engines might be useful.

It's 3 Kloc and nowhere near done. It will take years at the current rate before the game will be "completed".

Contribution and Donation

More than anything else, I apperciate bitcoin donation to raise enough money to pay for rent each month, only 300 dollars. I basically work on this project at least part time and do very little else, presently. See http://kibabase.com/articles/help-crowd ... -for-march for more details. Now, I have some money to keep me going on this project, but like all things, it will run out, sooner or later. That will have a huge impact on development of this game.

If you think it's worth donating to, do it. If not, don't.

I would like some code and art contribution, but keep in mind that I am in no position to pay anybody for contribution. That being said, I don't anticipate this game ever help making a living for anybody, let alone me. I will probably move on once the money runs out. If it does become a moneymaker, which is a long shot, I may need to devise a compensation policy that is fair and just, whatever that mean.

Yes, my great aspiration in life is to become a FOSS indie game developer.
Screenshot and Videos

I know I need to do this soon. Stay tuned for more.

Questions, Comments, Concern

Any feedback is appreciated, negative or positive. The only thing worse than silence is getting ignored.
I run the Libregamewiki.

I also make games at Kibabase.
kiba
LGW Moderator

Re: The City Game Project

Postby TheAncientGoat » 01 Mar 2012, 14:12

Cool! Going to keep an eye on this, good to see you still around, kiba
TheAncientGoat
Community Moderator