Freedom

Freedom

Postby gordebak » 02 Jan 2012, 03:35

This week's game is a very little one. I wrote it in two hours. I was trying to learn about animations and timers, so this idea came to my mind.

Freedom
Some things are consequences of what we do, some things aren't.

Controls: Right, Left and Space

Warning: This is an experimental game, in the sense of an art game.

Edit: Added quitting with escape and fixed a bug.

Edit: I felt the need to explain something about this game. This game is actually a joke obviously. I just wanted to see if I can make a very simple base for a 2d adventure game. It seems that I can. A 'real' adventure game is much more complex of course, but I feel I can do it if I want to. I don't know if I will further work on adventure games, but I want the option to be available.

Edit: Shortened the game to 2 minutes.
Attachments
freedom.love
(66.19 KiB) Downloaded 178 times
Last edited by gordebak on 02 Jan 2012, 09:57, edited 1 time in total.
gordebak
MnMS Moderator

Re: Freedom

Postby Edward_Lii » 02 Jan 2012, 09:30

Hello gordebak,

It's quite original, and nice art style. :)

I've taken a look at the source and have some advice.
    * Instead of using images with text, you can use a font and let love render the text.
    * Perhaps you can combine the walk animation frames into one spritesheet.

gordebak {l Wrote}:Edit: I felt the need to explain something about this game. This game is actually a joke obviously. I just wanted to see if I can make a very simple base for a 2d adventure game. It seems that I can. A 'real' adventure game is much more complex of course, but I feel I can do it if I want to. I don't know if I will further work on adventure games, but I want the option to be available.

An adventure game with the same art style as this can be quite fun.

I assume you start working on your next game?
From,
Edward_Lii
Edward_Lii
MnMS Moderator

Re: Freedom

Postby gordebak » 02 Jan 2012, 09:41

Edward_Lii {l Wrote}:Hello gordebak,

It's quite original, and nice art style. :)

Thanks Edward! I love silhouettes.

Edward_Lii {l Wrote}:I've taken a look at the source and have some advice.
Instead of using images with text, you can use a font and let love render the text.

You're right. Text would be better and easier actually, because in a bigger game there would be thousands of lines of text.

Edit: Using images gave me an idea though. I can use speech balloons in an adventure game, and it might be quite good.
Edward_Lii {l Wrote}: * Perhaps you can combine the walk animation frames into one spritesheet.

I didn't put the images into a spritesheet just out of laziness. :) You're rightof course. Again, in a bigger game, there would be many animations. So it would make sense of course.

Edward_Lii {l Wrote}:An adventure game with the same art style as this can be quite fun.

I assume you start working on your next game?

Yeah, I'd play an adventure like that. I will start another game as soon as an idea strikes me.
gordebak
MnMS Moderator