Trinity Reign

Trinity Reign

Postby TrinityReign » 06 Mar 2010, 21:08

Hello there!

Just wanted to make you all aware of an opportunity to maybe add to your experience with working on building games, while having a ton of fun at the same time. We've started an Open Source, free online game (what we call an IMOW, or, Immersive Multiplayer Online World) called Trinity Reign using the OGRE 3D render system as the basis for our engine. We've been working hard for a few years now, and as developers have come and gone, we've found a new need for some more devs. We could use either Programmers (c++, MySQL) or artists, or just anyone who wants to hang around and maybe learn/teach some things. We're a very close-knit group of people from all over the world with a common dream: to create a great game. If you think you're interested, feel free to contact us with the info given below.

Now to the good stuff..

I'll show you a few screenies of the first town we've started on -- a small fishing town called Morgendil. Here's a screenshot of the lighthouse and the tavern in the distance on a foggy day.

Of course, near the center of town, we find the Town Hall:

Anchored to the port you would find some boats, as well:

And what is a town without some people?

This was our first test with chat in the client.

A small example of some concept art:

A city from above:

We have built a World Editor just for our game to decrease development time. Here are some scaling tests we did a while back:

Other tests...

This is the first test of a new char model rig.

Next up, our model gets his shoulders fixed a bit, and does a bit of tumbling.

Everything shown here is 100% our own. We modeled and textured everything. We have a group of solid 3D and settings developers however we are lacking coders. If anyone is at all interested, please feel free to comment here, PM us, join us in IRC on freenode at #trinityreign, or email me at easton@trinityreign.com

More info can be found at our website: http://trinityreign.com and our forums at http://forum.trinityreign.com

We all hope to hear from you soon!

Easton, Head of Development, Trinity Reign
TrinityReign

Re: Trinity Reign

Postby TheAncientGoat » 12 Mar 2010, 21:10

Wow, this looks really cool, can't believe I haven't heard of your project yet, and that none of the other FreeGameDev readers have replied yet (disappointed at that, actually).

I know that DungeonHack/Scone/Godhead are working on a similar, although singleplayer project using Ogre, c++ and some form of SQL, it might be good to talk to them and compare notes or whatever, it might be constructive for both projects...

Furthermore, having a bigger web presence, such as being on other project's IRC, getting your RSS feed on the FreeGamerPlanet, updating your blog more frequently or using a microblogging service also helps in gathering more developers, at least in my eyes.
TheAncientGoat
Community Moderator

Postby qubodup » 13 Mar 2010, 01:03

Let's follow TAG's good example then. :)

Thanks for letting us know of your project! I already added the rss to our planet, in case you decide to use it.

Are there fighting (and death), and quests implemented in the game? When showing off these features (by showing a quest dialog or a fight scene) people would probably pay more attention, since they are the starting point of the difference between world viewer and (mmo)rpg I'd say. :)

That crab concept art looks cool!

Everything shown here is 100% our own
Hmm.. I don't know, I'm pretty sure I have seen that green ninja in many OGRE examples and that it is the default CEGUI skin in the same screen. ;)
Joke aside, I'm glad that you have both artists and coders on the team!
qubodup
Global Moderator

Postby TrinityReign » 13 Mar 2010, 18:19

TheAncientGoat {l Wrote}:Wow, this looks really cool, can't believe I haven't heard of your project yet, and that none of the other FreeGameDev readers have replied yet (disappointed at that, actually).

I know that DungeonHack/Scone/Godhead are working on a similar, although singleplayer project using Ogre, c++ and some form of SQL, it might be good to talk to them and compare notes or whatever, it might be constructive for both projects...

Furthermore, having a bigger web presence, such as being on other project's IRC, getting your RSS feed on the FreeGamerPlanet, updating your blog more frequently or using a microblogging service also helps in gathering more developers, at least in my eyes.

Hey TAG, thanks for the supportive comments! :)

I'll definitely look at those projects and see if we could work something out. We actually have affiliations with a couple games in development. We were sort of born from PlaneShift, but a group of us got fed up with the way that game was run and not developing. So we basically took a guild backstory and transformed it into this game idea. Our "sister project" is Peragro Tempus. The main difference is that they use CrystalSpace, so there isn't a ton of code-side sharing we can do, but i'm good friends with that team and we're working on getting a content repository up and running. But yeah, all good points about the web presence. We've had a client for a while now, but our art has slowed down a bit recently as our head artist has been moving, so he's been without a computer for a while now, but he's going to be back in a couple weeks, we hope. Once we can really get a nice map in game, we're looking forward to offering nicer screenshots, videos, etc...

Again, thanks for the interest and feel free to stop by and chat whenever :)
TrinityReign

Postby TrinityReign » 13 Mar 2010, 18:22

qubodup {l Wrote}:Let's follow TAG's good example then. :)

Thanks for letting us know of your project! I already added the rss to our planet, in case you decide to use it.

Are there fighting (and death), and quests implemented in the game? When showing off these features (by showing a quest dialog or a fight scene) people would probably pay more attention, since they are the starting point of the difference between world viewer and (mmo)rpg I'd say. :)

That crab concept art looks cool!

Everything shown here is 100% our own
Hmm.. I don't know, I'm pretty sure I have seen that green ninja in many OGRE examples and that it is the default CEGUI skin in the same screen. ;)
Joke aside, I'm glad that you have both artists and coders on the team!

Hey qubodup,

In terms of fighting, we don't have fighting, and it's not our first priority by any means. We're going to set up a good skill set first, probably economy-based, and then we'll work on implementing a combat system. I think this will allow players to do much more than just beat the crap out of each other incessantly (even though we all know how fun that can be! ;) ) But yeah, we'll definitely try and get some videos up once we get our Art up and running again.

I know you've stopped by in our channel sometimes, never when i'm around, which is odd cause i'm usually on, but it's been a busy week i suppose. Anyways, i hope to see you around soon!
TrinityReign

Postby TrinityReign » 15 Apr 2011, 23:45

Hey everyone!

I just wanted to bump this thread a bit because we're starting to recruit again. Life has been a bit busy for a few of us, so we've been taking a pseudo-hiatus for a bit, though we were still making progress. Now, we're looking to start things back up into full-swing. A bit of detail as to what we already have:

We have a basic client, with chat, movement, very basic inventory, stuff like that. We're currently working on a new version of our terrain system (SPT3, thanks to HexiDave). It will be ridiculously powerful and is currently in development. We have a ton of settings, lore, NPC plans, history, and all that good stuff. We have enough art for a about a small town and about half of a second small city (seen in some of the above posts). We have one rigged and animated char model (seen in development in some above posts).

What we're looking for:
    *anyone capable with C++
    *anyone who feels competent in Network programming
    *anyone who knows MySQL and/or DB stuff
    *anyone who could be a web developer (our website is god-awful.)
    *2D or 3D artists looking to pad their portfolio (our license is CC so it's win-win)

Here are some screenshots. Please note that not EVERYTHING seen here was created by us. Some of it came with the NeoAxis editor, and we just placed those things in for testing purposes. While i can't list every thing that is ours and theirs, i can say that obviously, the bunny character and the gui are not ours. The windmill also isn't ours. Every other building is ours. If you want to know specifics about what is ours and isn't, just PM me and i'll answer any questions you might have.

We have a great team of very good friends -- most of us have met in person at one point, or plan to in the near future. We hang out in IRC, we make fun of each other, say politically incorrect things, and just generally banter on and on. We're looking to grow this group of people who have a ton of fun making something that, in our eyes, is really awesome. So if you wanna hang out and maybe help us out while learning a thing or two, just hop on IRC and introduce yourself. Tell your friends, tell your mom, tell your teachers, tell your sister (seriously, tell her).

Where to find us: irc.freenode.net #trinityreign

What is Trinity Reign?

Great question!

Trinity Reign has really been in the works for years, but it didn't officially start until the middle of 2007. It all began with a group of friends who had absolutely no experience in any subject related to game design. We were interested in a small story about a city named Vaern that was essentially co-written by a couple of members. After a few experiences with some other online RPGs and some heavy deliberation, we decided to embark on a huge, possibly never-ending, and slightly insane journey of creating our own Immersive Multiplayer Online World (IMOW). This world would take all of the positives from the various games that we have shared and enjoyed, attempt to remove all of the negative aspects, and add some of our own innovative ideas. In short, we would attempt to make what we thought should not be considered merely a game, but instead, a world.

So, after months of research, trial and error (lots and lots of error), new friends, and a ridiculous amount of good times, we saw a steady project come together and we called it, Ura. (this name of course, has now officially changed to Trinity Reign)

Trinity Reign wishes to bring together a very close-knit and open-source community composed of a unique variety of RolePlayers and gamers alike. We hope to provide a vibrant, minutely-detailed, incredibly in-depth, and self-sufficient world for this community to thrive in. The environment of Trinity Reign will lend itself greatly to roleplay and we hope to supplement that with many GM events and various other in-game mechanics.

As far as we're concerned, ANYONE can contribute to the Project. If you have this great idea for a monster and you can draw a bit and write a paragraph or two about it, then by all means send it in! Everything is accepted and greatly appreciated, but we cannot guarantee that everything will make it in-game; but that definitely shouldn't stop you from trying, seriously.

Basically, this Project is absolutely first and foremost about having a good time. If you're not having fun, then something isn't right. We hope to bring unlimited amounts of fun to anyone and everyone associated with this world. Please feel free to ask any questions about the Project. Until then, I personally look forward to gaming with you all!

Have fun,
Easton
Head of Development, Trinity Reign
TrinityReign

Postby qubodup » 16 Apr 2011, 12:49

I like the screen with the flower field. :)

You are using the neo axis engine?
qubodup
Global Moderator

Postby TrinityReign » 16 Apr 2011, 16:01

qubodup {l Wrote}:I like the screen with the flower field. :)

You are using the neo axis engine?

Hey qubodup,

No, we're still using OGRE3D, but we were temporarily using the NA engine to simply test art assets for a bit. We had an editor, but we were redoing some of the code, so in the meantime it served as a good solution.
TrinityReign

Postby TrinityReign » 16 Apr 2011, 17:21

FlyingHigh {l Wrote}:What platform are you using? And is the gameplay going to be similar to StarWars: Knights of the Old Republic?

We're cross-platform, so all of them. :)

KOTOR is a single-player game, so in short, the answer is no. Think a bit more like Oblivion, but with a close-knit, multiplayer community.
TrinityReign

Postby TrinityReign » 25 May 2011, 23:13

Hey guys!

Just wanna give a quick update on Trinity Reign for those who are following...

Basically, we've received a lot of interest lately, and we can finally say that for the time being, we're pretty good on the programming side of things. For now, we have 2-3 guys working on the Network/server architecture, we have one guy building the insane terrain editor, which you all will hear about at a later date i'm sure, and another guy working on a sort of tree/rock generator. The terrain editor will also serve as the basis for our client and other dev tools.

So we're pretty proud of those guys for helping us out and fitting right in. We're all having a blast.

Basically, all we're looking for now are a couple of artists. We already have two very good artists who are working hard, but it's a big world, and we could use some help. So if you're at all competent in 2D (textures or concept art) or 3D (we use Blender, but any LEGAL program is fine) we'd love to hear from you. You can email me at easton@trinityreign.com or you can join us on IRC at irc.freenode.net on channel #trinityreign.

We're also working on a new website which should be up in the near future. So keep an eye out for that, if you'd like.

Thanks again for all of the interest, and feel free to join us on IRC to join in the discussions, regardless of your ability to develop the game! Talk to you all soon!

Easton
Head of Development, Trinity Reign
TrinityReign

Postby Jastiv » 02 Jul 2019, 19:53

No website, code is still available on sourceforge, last updated 2015.
https://sourceforge.net/p/ura-game/code/HEAD/tree/
Jastiv