OpenWolf

OpenWolf

Postby TheDushan » 11 Sep 2011, 14:56

Hi guys.

I am one of developers of OpenWolf project.

While browsing on net for information's about open source projects based on GPL version of Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory, I found that its mentioned on your blog, so I decide to register and share little more accurate information's about project.

Little info about project
I imagined OpenWolf project as best from IDTech3 world, so I created it and coded it to be multiple BSP format compatible [So we can play other maps from all major Q3Engine based games (Quake3, Tremulous, UrbanTerror, RTCW ...)], along with other features what ware missing in original project(s), like Newton physics, IRC capabilities, internet radio stream, Ruby language script support, MySQL .... ( list is very extensive and it would take me much time to write all ).

Like you mentioned on your blog page "a fork of Wolf:ET with Xreal renderer... long story". For renderer I am using at this moment modified version of XreaL renderer, but just until IDTech4 Doom3 renderer is released. Clearly XreaL renderer shows advantages over all Q3 renderer engines, but I believe that it show too poorly performances on ATI graphics cards (dont know its because of ATI's OpenGL drivers or whatever ) and that its highly unoptimized and show poor performances on low systems that don't support OpenGL 3(.x). Because of that I keep old ET renderer and now have two. XreaL (Soon Doom3) for new systems and old ET vanilla for older systems who cannot use any of graphics advantages of new renderer(s).

Because of limit on how much pictures I can upload here, I will brake this into several posts (moderator or administrator if there is technical capabilities can merge all posts into one).

All pictures are taken from current developer state [rev. 383]
First five pictures which show ET maps.
Attachments
map - warbell.jpg
map - Summer Radar.jpg
map - Braundorf_b4.jpg
map - Goldrush.jpg
map - Battery.jpg
Last edited by TheDushan on 11 Sep 2011, 21:56, edited 2 times in total.
TheDushan

Re: OpenWolf

Postby TheDushan » 11 Sep 2011, 14:59

Quake 3 with QVM mod (Q3Fortress)
Attachments
Q3 Fortress -8.jpg
Q3 Fortress -9.jpg
Q3 Fortress -5.jpg
Q3 Fortress -4.jpg
Q3 Fortress.jpg
TheDushan

Postby TheDushan » 11 Sep 2011, 15:02

Quake3 maps
Attachments
q3dm 9.jpg
q3 yurich - pic 3.jpg
q3 yurich - pic 1.jpg
q3 tourney 1 - pic 3.jpg
q3 tourney 1 - pic 1.jpg
TheDushan

Postby TheDushan » 11 Sep 2011, 15:04

Tremulous maps
Attachments
tremulous - Procyon-R1 - pic 1.jpg
tremulous - Nexus6 - pic1.jpg.jpg
tremulous - Bridge Apart B2.jpg
temple - pic 1.jpg
citadel map #2.jpg
Last edited by TheDushan on 11 Sep 2011, 15:55, edited 1 time in total.
TheDushan

Postby TheDushan » 11 Sep 2011, 15:05

Urban Terror and TCE maps
Attachments
tce obj_ujejungle_sniper map.jpg
ut4_vasey #3.jpg
ut4_vasey #2.jpg
ut4_vasey #1.jpg
TheDushan

Postby Julius » 11 Sep 2011, 20:07

Neat, thanks for posting all these screenshots!

Any idea when you will officially release a "playable" version that can be used to play Wolf-ET by the enduser?
Julius
Community Moderator

Postby charlie » 11 Sep 2011, 22:11

Hi Dushan, the screenshots look great and the features sound very good.

Do you have a homepage or project site for OpenWolf? I could only find the SplashDamage thread and there's a few other OpenWolf projects that are nothing to do with W:ET or yourself.

Also it isn't quite clear what your goals are for OpenWolf. Is it to provide a better W:ET engine?
Free Gamer - it's the dogz
Vexi - web UI platform
charlie
Global Moderator

Postby TheDushan » 11 Sep 2011, 22:55

Currently I don't have working website (I have one of openwolf domain, but no website at this moment). So for now you can find only "officially topic" on Splash Damage forum where I post my updates and changes. Soon I will open moddb page for project, and other pages if I find them (currently I know only moddb).
Am aware of other OpenWolf projects :). Somebody pointed me to that because of similar name, but I don't believe that we will have ever problems, because we are working with different things.

True is I started this project somewhere in January this year, and until few weeks ago I didn't want to present or to give working test or debug build, only because I believe that in that (at that time) one of reasons was that game was too far for presenting or showing to others. But now (I cannot say that I am very close to alpha or beta development stage) I moved from point zero on my development scale so I can present and show others little (or to update others who already shown some interest in my project).
Please don't understand me wrong, other reason for me not talking or offering any information's about project was and still is because that are too many internet trolls who don't know what they are talking about, trying to make them smart and attack you and your project for no reason.
Let's see scenario -> I post on some XYZ forum that I plan "something, something, something with IDTech3 engines". In next 15 posts there would be 12 trolls and only 3 persons who would really offer you their truly opinion. And I really didn't want that somebody kill my will to create this.
But now when I am in advanced course of game, nobody is willing to talk badly about projects, because they already seen some progress. (Of course, for some its pointless to have all Q3 games in one)

Few weeks ago (months) somebody also asked me about project goal. At this time I told him only that I code and add staff that was missing in original ET and what would give game life in 2011/2012 year. But how time passed, my deviation from that was bigger and bigger, so today I can say that project goal is to create the perfect marriage between open-sourced Quake3 engine games (Urban Terror, Quake3, Return To Castle Wolfenstein, Enemy Territory and Tremulous).

Just to show you how much I gone away from my original goal and idea, I even contacted Valve and Steam about offering my game over Steam service

Steam Support.jpg

Lets say that they are willing to cooperate, but there is a concrete wall in offering my game to steam. Entire Q3, UT, ET, RTCW (I believe that OpenArena and Tremulous are free) game assets aren't open sourced and they are under EULA agreement, and that mean for me that if I want to offer my game on Steam, I need to use open game assets.

When I started this at beginning it was obvious that all mentioned games are approaching the end of its market life. Of course we can, artificially maintain that and be present, but game(s) will never attract and gain players like before. So I decided to make game what is compatible with all mentioned games and in that way to bring new freshness and life into games that people played for hours.

EDIT: Sorry forgot.
When there will be officially release? I will keep you informed :)
TheDushan

Postby Julius » 12 Sep 2011, 12:17

Slightly OT (and it still means open assets I guess) but Desura of moddb is probably the open-source friendlier Steam clone ;)
Julius
Community Moderator

Postby TheDushan » 12 Sep 2011, 23:20

Julius {l Wrote}:Slightly OT (and it still means open assets I guess) but Desura of moddb is probably the open-source friendlier Steam clone ;)

Thanks for info, I didn't know until now for Desura software. I have sent them email about API integration and opened ModDB page for OpenWolf project (its currently awaiting authorization).
TheDushan

Postby TheDushan » 16 Sep 2011, 00:47

Well guys it took me literally hours and hours to make pure LLVM (Low Level Virtual Machine) more Windows friendly.
But, all LLVM dependence files are statically builded and result of that was that executable file is more then 26 MB big (on my debug build ofc).

I can soon provide full bug-free LLVM files and VM solution :)
Attachments
llvm semi working.jpg
TheDushan

Postby Julius » 18 Sep 2011, 16:27

Btw, how compatible is OpenWolf to Tremulous? Does it just load maps, or could it also play the entire game with some tweaks?

I ask because there is a quite nice Tremulous mod called Tremz in development right now and maybe it could become the featured content for OpenWolf?

Link:
http://tremulous.net/forum/index.php?topic=16227.0
Julius
Community Moderator

Postby TheDushan » 18 Sep 2011, 17:55

Well for now it can only play maps from Tremulous or other Q3 engines. About playing entire game its more complex, and I really mean that. I need to see is even possible to cross join games. Btw. I have tried already ET:XreaL, OpenWolf and ET projects and they work OK and they are compatible with each other. About others we will see, others already told me that I code stuff without order and that project is starting to look like "feature creep".

For sure I will check that in next "version", but for now at least for me its ok to have just map loading from other games ...
Don't know what others say.

EDIT: I didn't know about that Tremulous project.
TheDushan

Postby sireus » 19 Sep 2011, 17:05

I don't know if that's related to your project, or if you noticed it already, but here's a thread on the Urban Terror forums.
http://www.urbanterror.info/forums/topi ... territory/

No matter what, it yet again sheds light on the arrogance and ignorance of the UrT team (especially the artists). Apparently, all they can say is "EVERYONE IS STEALING OUR STUFF!!!oneone"...
sireus

Postby TheDushan » 19 Sep 2011, 17:40

I just checked topic, that are my photos 100% without any questions.

But really, really I cannot say nothing bad about UrT team. But if you think for a second and if somebody checked my Assembla SVN page where code is located, I don't offer game assets. I am using ET:XreaL game assets, and their assets are released on I believe on Attribution-NonCommercial 3.0 Unported (CC BY-NC 3.0) license.

http://openwolf.assembla.com/code/open-wolf/subversion/nodes

To be honest for testing I used their PK3 files from UrT-4.1.1 and I believe that privately I can do that.
They really have problem with logic. How can I test Q3, Tremulous and in this case UrT maps if I don't load them in game?

But to return on subject. I don't offer game assets, nor I will ever use ANY to bold it, some copyrighted game assets.
Loading UrT maps was only demonstration that engine is capable to load other .PK3 files from other games without any problems, and btw it isn't "hex edited" like they told in post. I can even point to three files (cm_load.c, qfiles.h and tr_bsp.h) where they can create multiple BSP format version.
About how much they are trolling, screaming on that topic I really don't understand. For me it only show that they don't know what they are talking, literally. And that show only who they are really.

For me how I see, and to point some facts
    -> I don't offer game assets
    -> I don't offer maps

EDIT: If they don't understand that what I noted above, then I don't have anything else to say about that, and I will be speechless. I really wouldn't like that this start flaming and attacking.

I can only imagine that if I show there and point that I don't offer game assets or maps that they ban will me for pointing to their stupidity.
Thanks I will pass it and observe it only from distance.
Last edited by TheDushan on 19 Sep 2011, 18:16, edited 2 times in total.
TheDushan

Postby sireus » 19 Sep 2011, 17:48

Exactly my point. People are wildly raging over something they have no clue about and obviously didn't care to learn about, either.
sireus

Postby TheDushan » 20 Sep 2011, 01:10

This is my 2nd set of pictures
All Urban Terror maps :)

EDIT: Sorry. My bad.

First picture - UT4_Crossing map
Second and third picture - UT4_Casa map
Forth and fifth picture - UT4_Ambush map
Attachments
ut4_crossing.jpg
ut4_casa - pic 2.jpg
ut4_casa - pic 1.jpg
ut4_ambush - pic 2.jpg
ut4_ambush - pic 1.jpg
Last edited by TheDushan on 20 Sep 2011, 17:05, edited 2 times in total.
TheDushan

Postby TheDushan » 20 Sep 2011, 01:12

Some more :)

EDIT :
First and second picture - UT4_Tomb map
Third picture - UT4_Kingdom map
Forth and fifth picture - UT4_Harbortown map
Attachments
ut4_tomb - pic 2.jpg
ut4_tomb - pic 1.jpg
ut4_kingdom - pic 1.jpg
ut4_harbortown - pic 2.jpg
ut4_harbortown - pic 1.jpg
Last edited by TheDushan on 20 Sep 2011, 17:05, edited 2 times in total.
TheDushan

Postby TheDushan » 20 Sep 2011, 01:14

Last 3 :)

EDIT:
First and second picture - UT4_Toxic map
Third picture - UT4_Tomb map
Attachments
ut4_toxic - pic 2.jpg
ut4_toxic - pic 1.jpg
ut4_tomb - pic 3.jpg
Last edited by TheDushan on 20 Sep 2011, 17:05, edited 1 time in total.
TheDushan

Postby charlie » 20 Sep 2011, 14:38

Hi Dushan. We appreciate the updates, which are encouraged, but if possible please make the screenshots meaningful. A screenshot with purpose (a description) is intriguing.

I'm not quite sure what I'm looking for in the 13 screenshots you just posted.
Free Gamer - it's the dogz
Vexi - web UI platform
charlie
Global Moderator

Postby TheDushan » 20 Sep 2011, 17:11

Sorry my bad, I forgot to post update and description.
It show that I managed to fix most of my texture and brightness problems.
Before if you look on topic UrbanTerror forum, screenshots look very ugly.
You can even compare them and you will see significantly improvement with one posted here.
TheDushan

Postby mrmcq2u » 25 Sep 2011, 06:54

Something tells me you would get a much more supportive and mature response from the ¨True Combat¨ guys. Plus TC-CQB is a million times better than urban warfare.
Oh heres a nice video of CQB for you - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vGDETYhJj-M

If you are persistent with urban terror though may I direct you towards ¨Code43 - Urban Terror¨ which has taken a start from scratch using XREAL approach.
Some nice vids on this youtube channel of the progress - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZXy5kgD ... ature=plcp
Some pictures of some assets here - https://picasaweb.google.com/marze3D/En ... true&pli=1

Good luck with the game. Its nice to see xreal is still alive.
mrmcq2u

Postby malevolent » 26 Sep 2011, 10:33

Hi TheDushan!

First of all, congratulations for you incredible one-man work! It's truly amazing. Really.

I have only one mere curiosity question. I have no intention (at all) of being a troll, and looking at the source code, I guess you have in mind other platforms, but after see you steam petition screenshot, it comes to my mind the following question: the release will be Windows only or you have planned to include Linux as well?
As Steam is Windows/Mac oriented, it can leave Linux users aside... but all the tools are you using work under linux

Regards
malevolent

Postby TheDushan » 26 Sep 2011, 13:24

Thanks for links about True Combat, I had some contact with man behind True Combat CQB (I believe his "nick" is "Coroner") on Splash Damage forum, but only exchanged several messages with him, but nothing special.
About Code43 - Urban Terror, I saw several screenshots it look quiet interesting, I will see what can be done there.
But I think that Code43 isn't developed anymore (or at least when I looked their forum).

Linux and other OS are supported at this moment. In my HDD I have updated scons with support for FreeBSD platform, but never got to try that and see will it compile. I can even provide updated scons with support for OpenSolaris OS.

About Steam and other digital distribution softwares (Desura for example). With Desura support I had problem. They wanted to know why they would support my work when they can support original Wolfenstein Enemy Territory. And that IF they support my work, maybe users will get confused. (I can provide my exchanged emails with them as proof).
But at my last email they told me - to copy paste -

"I definitely think what you have made is worthwhile and excellent, however we shall attempt to get the originals first before any others. So i will be in touch if we are able. Otqherwise indiedb and moddb are still open and I encourage you to promote your game on them

Scott Reismanis (from my iPad)"

I don't know what to say about that. But for me it's OK :) I can wait, but I don't believe that it will happen.
TheDushan

Postby Kappasecondus » 28 Feb 2012, 22:03

Very nice work. Where I can get this?
Kappasecondus