Tale Tactics: an open source platform for digital table top

Tale Tactics: an open source platform for digital table top

Postby jonwolfdev » 01 Apr 2023, 21:32

Hi!!

I'm completely new to this community. Thank you for having me. My name of Jonathan and I'm passionate about software development and games!

I have created an open source platform for digital table top games called Tale Tactics. It is in its early stages and there nothing too complex going on.

Imagine a game/dungeon master coordinating what you see on your screen. Is the players fighting against a dragon? You have an image of a dragon on your screen, and there is a battle background music going on. This is what the platform does at the moment.

I think the platform has potential to at least add minigames, to make it more dynamic. For example, find the key on a static image, or tap/click the screen many times to defeat an evil globin, etc.

The github links are:

Inside each github repo, is a brief explanation of what it does. I deeply apologize there isn't much documentation. I have created this on my spare time. I have spent 1 year and so creating this. I wanted to see if other people see the same potential as me.

I have also created a website https://taletactics.com to explain what it is with a video and a series of short How to Play videos. Also, you can try it out without setting anything up, just sign up for the beta access.

The idea came originally when I wanted to share a horror story with my girlfriend. I wanted to display images and sounds, to try to scare her. So I created a prototype and it was a lot of fun. Then I went on to create Tale Tactics (formerly Horror Tactics). And I have also put Tale Tactics to test with my friends, with a new story called "The Others", a sci fi horror story. It was a great deal of fun. (You guesses right, I love horror stories :) )

The platform is open source with GPL v3 license.

What I'm looking for is people that love dungeons and dragons type of games, and see the potential on Tale Tactics that would like to be involved.

The current state is very simple, the UI Editor is a simple CRUD for your stories, images, sounds, etc. The game player is a "dumb" player to show images and play sounds. The API is the brain of the platform.

My roadmap for the short term would be something like this:
    - Make it playable for local hosting
    - Possibility to add mini games as modules (easy to plug in)
    - Create one or two mini games so people can see the potential
    - Improve story assets management and UI

I'm open for any type of criticism. My main objective is that people with creative minds are able to create story easily and share them with their friends, in a table top style!

Please let me know what you think, and if you are interested hit me up so I can give you access and try the platform yourself!

Thank you so much!!
jonwolfdev