Magier, A more free hexen. (WIP)

Magier, A more free hexen. (WIP)

Postby dupertux34 » 20 May 2022, 18:30

So, what is Magier and what is Hexen?
Hexen is a game made by Raven Software in 1995, it uses a modified heretic engine, heretic also uses a modified version of the DOOM Engine, Hexen's source code was released on 1999, the same year heretic's source code was released, people modded hexen and did many advanced features to it, Zauberer was an attempt to make a free hexen iwad file, later the iwad was removed for unknown reasons and was replaced with a pwad, and then the pwad was removed for another unknown reason.
However... the story does not end there.
I browsed to find the last ever Zauberer PWAD and decided to continue it...
I decided the target source port would be ZDOOM, as i don't want vanilla compatibillity and do have limited knowledge with IWADs, i modified the hex and changed the PWAD to IWAD, and made some ZDoom specific things to make it recognizable, and also made a test map, and this happened :
Screenshot_Hexen_20220520_154334.png

Wow, such a achivement, however, due to its missing textures and big bugs, i will only release it in a message to this account, please let me know what you think about this project! :)
dupertux34

Re: Magier, A more free hexen. (WIP)

Postby Julius » 20 May 2022, 20:29

I would target https://dengine.net/
Much nicer engine for Hexen.
Julius
Community Moderator

Re: Magier, A more free hexen. (WIP)

Postby dupertux34 » 20 May 2022, 21:49

Julius {l Wrote}:I would target https://dengine.net/
Much nicer engine for Hexen.

However, it would look really weird with magier's weapons (i.e emerald wand is changed to the original hexen sapphire wand, because 3d models) and no one in the doom community really develops for dengine as it was built for the classic games
Progress so far
Realized license conflicts do exist, for example i added the blasphemer title theme and then i realized that blasphemer is 3 clause bsd and not the original zauberer ISC license, keep in mind ISC is completely a free license.
dupertux34