The Constellation: Open Source Web3 Indie Modding and Gaming

The Constellation: Open Source Web3 Indie Modding and Gaming

Postby emma.jane1313 » 28 Oct 2021, 12:47

Hey everyone

I am Emma from DIGITALAX— an open source web3 fashion protocol. We are focused strongly on the intersection between fashion, gaming and the metaverse, and advancing this through decentralised principles.

We recently launched a new initiative under our ecosystem— The Constellation— with the focus on well capitalising open source through the web3 value layer. We are currently teaming up with a number of indie gaming + modding guilds under this project, whereby all games will be entirely open sourced and then integrated with native web3 quest 2 earn, play 2 earn and wear 2 earn mechanics, with a strong focus on fashion/skins/wearables that are designed and open sourced along with our Global Designer Network (100+ individual) web3 digital fashion guild.

Here are two articles detailing out the initiative further:
https://blog.digitalax.xyz/indie-modder ... c531f9d695

https://blog.digitalax.xyz/open-source- ... 9588692a83

I came across this OS community and thought that it might be a good place to find others interested. If so feel free to reply to this post or reach out on discord to Emma_13#2010

Thank you!
emma.jane1313

Re: The Constellation: Open Source Web3 Indie Modding and Ga

Postby Julius » 28 Oct 2021, 13:20

I'll be honest, this looks like crypto scam to me... but maybe I am just out of touch ;)
Julius
Community Moderator

Postby emma.jane1313 » 28 Oct 2021, 13:55

yeah, gotta be honest back, definitely you are out of touch

up to you in the end, it's your forum, but that's centralisation for you.

don't get how open source can be so misaligned sometimes, anyway i also sent you a dm, up to you how you see web3 in your moment ;)
emma.jane1313

Postby PeterX » 28 Oct 2021, 14:29

I clicked on one of your links. And it didn't tell what IMG and so on really is.
What do you offer? Can you say in less than 100 words? Can you say at all?
PeterX

Postby emma.jane1313 » 28 Oct 2021, 14:42

Both articles are incredibly clear. Can u clarify by what you mean by "can you say at all?"

IMG is a decentralised community of modders and indie gamers creating a web3 open source content layer where the content will be integated with q2e, p2e and w2e features for enabling well capitalised os. If that is not clear then you must be implying a different question.
emma.jane1313

Postby Julius » 28 Oct 2021, 14:58

You could start with explaining what "web3", "q2e", "p2e" and "w2e" is, as none of these seem to be commonly used abbreviations even in tech circles.

The blockchain community would definitely benefit from not constantly obscuring their ideas behind cryptic jargon... but on the other hand I suspect it is partially done on purpose to make it sound complex when in reality it usually is just a simple pyramid scheme scam.
Julius
Community Moderator

Postby emma.jane1313 » 28 Oct 2021, 15:03

hmm, so by your logic every industry that uses acronyms is a pyramid scheme? then this forum must be too....http://www.onseriousgames.com/the-ultim ... ictionary/

Not sure why you feel the need to attack and put down, without doing proper research— it gives another bad name to open source, modding + gaming and the community and culture around it. Which, questions the intentions heavily.

The post is clear, with two detailed articles that go hand in hand. Happy to answer any questions that come from a place of authenticity and good intent curiosity to learn more xD

What's your dogs name?
emma.jane1313

Postby Julius » 28 Oct 2021, 15:13

Yeah sorry, I don't mean to be confrontative... but you need to be aware that the blockchain community has by now a extremely bad reputation as nearly everything is full of scammers or worse.

There are definitely a few gems and good ideas in between, which is why after quite some contemplation I approved your original post instead of blocking it as spam (which I normally do with everything blockchain related).

I recommend reading this article to get a feel how blockchain is perceived outside of the crypro-currency bubble: https://drewdevault.com/2021/04/26/Cryp ... aster.html

That said... I find the idea of funding open-source multiplayer games by selling cosmetic / fashion items to be interesting, but I don't think it needs to be over-engineered with blockchain and NFTs etc.

Edit: none of the acronyms you mentioned are explained in the article you linked?
Julius
Community Moderator

Postby dulsi » 28 Oct 2021, 16:41

Is there an open source library to use this open source content you will be "selling" (not sure exactly how your system works so selling may not be the right term)? If not is there a definition for a web api? Is the software providing this service open source?

How does this provide funding for open source games? Let's say I integrate this in my game. User A buys content X. He gives content X to user B, C, etc. If there is some security mechanism that prevents that. If the game is open source, someone can just remove that security mechanism and share all their content.
dulsi

Postby emma.jane1313 » 28 Oct 2021, 17:42

Are you familiar with the RTFM acronym? What most dev communities responded with to open source in general and new people, especially in the early days but it seems to have come back in full force, exploring open source as a way to shut down any new interest in coding and protect their precious citadel of special people roleplaying as a priesthood of programming.

Genuine curiosity and eagerness to learn through questioning is always welcomed. But when it's done with ill-intent, which has been pretty clear in this case, and with excess protectiveness, it seems incredibly inconsistent with the entire underlying ethos of open source— of open inquiry, free access, and being super welcoming to new people... instead of assuming everything different is a scam.

In open source we look ourselves in the mirror first before jumping down someone else's throat.

Just like when the web first became widespread, or in the battles against massive corporations against Microsoft, IBM and so many others trying to shutdown the ability for us to know how our tools work or ultimately build and own our own— shouting small bands of developers down as scam artists was the easy go to response.

Almost everything in web3 is open source and could not exist without it. The difference is, that for the first time, now the value layer is open source too, allowing open source to finally be valued as it should, along with all of the devs who contribute to it.

Web3 isn't about some excessive tech like blockchain, NFTs or whatever the heck you want to call it. It's what is required to defend against centralised control and all of the scams, abuses and fraud that comes with centralisation.

It's true that in the early days of any new system it is easy for far too many to pretend to be the new thing whilst still being the old and scamming people in the process. But I would take a long hard look at the centralised corporate fiat systems we are breaking away from, and the level of scams and fraud and abuse that simply is taken for granted.

It's the decentralisation and advancing of web3 that is most in line with what free software has always meant to be. And how can we expect free software to actually succeed in a closed centralised system. The fact is that so much of it has failed and continues to. Web3 directly solves this, and IMG is a community valuing the open source layer of indie gaming and modding.

A quick simple intro to acronyms that you are not familiar with yet:
Web3 = the next evolution of the internet where not just communication infrastructure is decentralised as in web1, or semi-decentralised as in web2, but, is fully decentralised and includes everything of value end 2 end within a much deeper and richer internet.

Play 2 earn = instead of the decay of gaming we have seen, thanks to pay 2 win and pay 2 play, and, gambling addiction enabling microtransactions that only benefit a tiny few, play 2 earn is a game culture native mechanism where players are able to earn uncensorable fully individually owned assets of value for the countless hundreds and thousands of hours we put in with our effort, time, money and skill to creating interoperable game economies. In this systems the devs, designers, creators and players benefit most.

Wear 2 earn = It's another iteration of play 2 earn, focused more on the unique role that in-game skins and wearables contribute towards a player's identity, self-expression, utility and access. In this model it is these skins and wearables that are able to be directly owned by the player and also grant the player different utility and value across different gaming ecosystems, games, marketplaces, stages, levels— where depending on what skin a player, it serves not just as a cosmetic piece but also as special keys to the world they are in.

Quest 2 earn = is a summary of all of the other 2 earn models based on classic RPG questing principles, where again the player does something and gets something of real value in return that can't be shut down when blizzard, disney or whoever shuts down the server.

So in summary, IMG is open sourcing all gaming and guild content for those that are part of it, and introducing these native web3 2 earn models.

The big shift to wrap your heads around, as anyone new to NFTs, ignoring all of the noise and hype to those making a lot of money, not knowing what they are, and those peddling web2 stuff pretending it is web3, is to see that in the old economy, content including source code is locked down, packaged and shipped everywhere as the product. Now, in web3, with NFTs, the thing that is being given fine grained per user access and authorisation is time with a record of who own's what when, how they relate to each other, and the stories and relationships they allow us to build. It is a bottom up model rather than the old top down tyranny.

Hopefully this is a good start.
emma.jane1313

Postby PeterX » 28 Oct 2021, 18:11

You can't deliver a description of your product or service. So You won't deliver anything. In other words: It's a scam. EDIT: There is the '(small) possibilty that you really believe the nonsense you are saying, then you are fooling yourself AND us.
PeterX

Postby Julius » 28 Oct 2021, 19:05

Thanks for providing an explanation of the abbreviations you used. I'll leave it to everyone self to decide what to make of it...

But it is good to think outside the box some time and see where that goes even if it ultimately might turn out to be a dead-end. :)
Julius
Community Moderator

Postby PeterX » 28 Oct 2021, 19:40

Julius {l Wrote}:But it is good to think outside the box some time and see where that goes even if it ultimately might turn out to be a dead-end. :)

Yes, that's true. And perhaps I was wrong about the scam, but I doubt it. If someone can't sketch out what she is selling, then you can bet that you won't receive a valuable product.

She can clearly say what she doesn't like: Proprietary games as we know them. Open source games as we know them. Centralism.
But what does she want? There is vague blabla about that, but not substantial descriptions.

And others have claimed before her that all open source projects have been a failure. It's not true. See the comic from Wuzzy.

Greetings
Peter
PeterX

Postby emma.jane1313 » 28 Oct 2021, 19:41

is this really an open source gaming forum lol ? it's one of the most toxic and non open source communities ive come across .

peterx, chill dude, your ngmi at this pace, don't really get why you are so uptight about this, if you believe in open source your response would certainly be different, same for you Julius the mod of this "open source" forum

look in a mirror ;) anyway, good luck out there ....
emma.jane1313

Postby PeterX » 28 Oct 2021, 19:48

I am cool. Thanks. But you are still talking without saying what the service you offer, is. Is that intentional perhaps?
PeterX

Postby emma.jane1313 » 28 Oct 2021, 19:53

no, it's that people like you are to ignorant to want to get it, you can check our website + all offerings and profits on-chain transparently if you are interested, www.digitalax.xyz

if anyone would like to speak i left my discord handle, but this community is toxic af , definitely not a group i want to be associated and working with if you are all unfortunately like this lol
emma.jane1313

Postby Julius » 28 Oct 2021, 21:14

For what it s worth: this is a Free Software forum ;)

Anyways... I don't see anything "toxic" in this thread but again I will leave this for the readers to decide themselves.

Thanks for showcasing your project here and good luck with it even if it seems to be not a good fit with our community here.
Julius
Community Moderator