Doom3 stand alone TC base; community project

Re: Doom3 stand alone TC base; community project

Postby Cacatoes » 07 Dec 2011, 15:11

Got several questions on this,

- You're hesitating between CC-BY-SA and GPL. From what I feel, GPL art comes from some oldchool projects producing art the free software way, maybe with some reluctance towards CC, or because it was non-existing at the time, because that license was shown to be efficient with code. CC is more popular in the sense artists, who do part of their job outside development/game communities, aren't really coders and don't have the same appreciation of licenses which were used for software source code.
Of course, you can't melt one with the other, but FPS asset productions has been using both, so ... I rather feel like you don't necessarily have to chose one or the other. You suggested they could use both, and keep things separate. I feel like it deserves the free software idea, which is: productions were made to be reused. The only drawback is you have to educate people not to melt these, but it's something you probably don't do often with art. For instance, a mapper could build a .map using textures from both texture sets.
Multiple-licensing is a possibility, but is it a need ? And what about a project which puts efforts into keeping assets license separated (in respect to history and choices made by past contributors from other projects), while using both ?

Second question is more about what kind of game iodoom3 could lead to. I haven't played Doom3, but I know the engine is notably used by Quake4 and ET-QW. It's maybe hard to get a view of that without trying, but maybe some guys who are already familiar with the engine could tell if it is more oriented towards one kind of game or the other. I suspect some answer like: making something like Doom3 is possible (see: the Dark Mod), while the engine is polyvalent just like ioquake3 was.

Your thoughts ?
Cacatoes

Postby Julius » 07 Dec 2011, 20:30

In the end I decided to go all the way CC-by-SA as it just seems to be the better choice.

Most recent game with idtech4 is Brink, but yeah it's a FPS centric engine obviously, which a custom but "not so enhanced" physics engine... so there are a lot of FPS type of game this could be easily used for.
Julius
Community Moderator

Postby Dashiva » 06 Jan 2012, 09:18

Is anyone still working on this? I'm starting on packaging the textures from yoghues' collection in pk4 for Doom3 to mess around with a totally free editor.
Dashiva

Postby TheAncientGoat » 11 Jan 2012, 20:31

Hmm, people should look into what resources The Dark Mod requires, and team up with them. It's not a FOSS game, but they might be more inclined to go FOSS if there where people to help them
TheAncientGoat
Community Moderator

Postby Julius » 12 Jan 2012, 02:34

I kind of abandoned it to be honest, however in the repository there are plenty of material files for the yoghues textures I did and als a comple menu system that was offered by a guy in the doom3world forums.
Julius
Community Moderator

Postby Dashiva » 23 Jan 2012, 23:07

Yeah, that's what I'm looking for. I was about ready to make pk4s out of the textures myself. Also if anyone is interested in working on a Doom3 based game let me know, I've got one in the works that's going to be open source.
Dashiva

Postby Julius » 23 Jan 2012, 23:14

Well you can download them from the repository ;) But I left out all the "FX" textures so far... e.g. those needing extra glow effects and such.
Julius
Community Moderator

Postby TheAncientGoat » 24 Jan 2012, 03:40

Hexen: Edge of Choas is another Doom3 mod looking to go standalone.. These would be the most awesome open source games ever if we could manage to get them opened
TheAncientGoat
Community Moderator

Postby Cire » 19 Mar 2012, 17:24

Has this been removed?
Cire

Postby Julius » 19 Mar 2012, 19:13

Yes... lack of progress and missing motivation to work on it solo.

However I think on Doom3World, they are working on something similar (albeit with less strict license requirements I think).
Julius
Community Moderator

Postby Cire » 02 Apr 2012, 12:24

I guess you're refering to the "Deadly Law" project which saw it's first binary release yesterday (unfortunatly Windows only but the source is availible). It doesn't include any license though, so I've no idea if the assets are also free, or just the code. I'm looking forward to see how development goes on this. Also, I've heard that The Dark Mod and Hexen: Edge of Chaos, which are two Doom 3 mods, are looking to go stand-alone, but I haven't checked what the license for the assets are for those. I'm looking forward to try those out too whenever they get stand-alone.
Cire