Text-based RPG

Text-based RPG

Postby Unnamed » 24 Oct 2020, 20:17

Currently unnamed (as always) text-based RPG made with Godot 3.2.
Hopefully it will also be useful for creating text based RPG and adventure games. I'm not sure about it because I don't write many comments in the code and tend to make things overly complicated (and randomly generated).
Anyway, not all features I planned are implemented by now. Also, as I added images (see third screen shot) some artwork of different landscapes/cities is required.
I'd also like to know which additional features should be implemented next.

Features:
* text-based
* character generation with several predefined races and classes
* decisions and stat rolls
* randomly generated world with world map
* random events and encounters
* turn based combat
* trading
* quests
* hire mercenaries to accompany you

Repository:
https://github.com/V-ktor/TR

Screenshots:
ss01.png
ss02.png
ss03.png
ss04.png
Unnamed

Re: Text-based RPG

Postby Julius » 24 Oct 2020, 23:18

Looks rather like an interface game (for a recent examples look for "In other Waters" of "Duskers" games), than text based. Which is IMHO better, but you should probably not call it text based as that usually implies being accessible for blind persons.

I like the overall look, but you could probably go down even further with the old paper & cartography kind of style. Story wise you could also include it with magical books or maps that can shape your surroundings etc.
Julius
Community Moderator

Postby ffaf » 25 Oct 2020, 00:15

Looks really interesting, even though I cannot try it as now (Debian only has Godot 3.0.6).
So if I understood correctly this is (as now) an engine and you plan to make a game with it? I will for sure try it, I like the interface a lot!
ffaf

Postby Unnamed » 25 Oct 2020, 09:39

Julius {l Wrote}:Looks rather like an interface game (for a recent examples look for "In other Waters" of "Duskers" games), than text based. Which is IMHO better, but you should probably not call it text based as that usually implies being accessible for blind persons.

That's a good point. I never end up with what I originally set in mind.

Julius {l Wrote}:Story wise you could also include it with magical books or maps that can shape your surroundings etc.

Sounds like a good idea as the world is randomly generated right now.

ffaf {l Wrote}:So if I understood correctly this is (as now) an engine and you plan to make a game with it? I will for sure try it, I like the interface a lot!

Some things are still missing. It's open world and you can do some stuff, but there is nothing like a story or main quests yet.
Unnamed

Postby Unnamed » 05 Jun 2021, 12:42

I added the beginning of the storyline. It starts right after creating a new character.
Also, I got rid of the background images. It's just too hard to find useful assets.

Builds are also available: https://github.com/V-ktor/TR/releases/tag/v0.0
Unnamed

Postby Julius » 05 Jun 2021, 12:51

Unnamed {l Wrote}:I got rid of the background images. It's just too hard to find useful assets.

You mean those environment images, or the map? Because the map is something really cool for a "text" based game.
Julius
Community Moderator

Postby Unnamed » 05 Jun 2021, 14:22

Julius {l Wrote}:You mean those environment images, or the map? Because the map is something really cool for a "text" based game.

Yes, the environment images. The map uses hexagonal tiles.
Unnamed