Open Source Command & Conquer

Open Source Command & Conquer

Postby Blade » 29 Jul 2020, 15:19

Hello

Doesn't look like its been discussed previously, but a large chunk of the source for the first two Command & Conquer games has been released at https://github.com/electronicarts/CnC_R ... Collection to support modding the new remastered versions. The remastered versions themselves are not entirely open source engines, the front end for the dll files build from the open source code is a closed source product.

However the code drop contain most of the code from the original builds of the game and myself and a couple of other people are trying to fix the code up to run the original game content at https://github.com/Vanilla-Conquer/Vanilla-Conquer. Currently we have working builds for windows and are working on making the code more portable to create portable open source versions of the game engines to run the original game content that was released as freeware years ago.
Blade

Re: Open Source Command & Conquer

Postby Julius » 29 Jul 2020, 19:27

Cool. Thanks for sharing. I how you don't mind that I moved the post into a more appropriate sub-forum.

Can you shortly explain what the advantages / differences of this over OpenRA are? Just a different approach?
Julius
Community Moderator

Re: Open Source Command & Conquer

Postby Blade » 30 Jul 2020, 10:30

That is fine, I wasn't sure where it was most appropriate to share it. Basically this will be a true source port of the original games once we replace all the windowisms in the code.

OpenRA on the other hand is a custom RTS game engine written from scratch that basically implements C&C like game clones using the orginal graphics, but none of the original logic. It also doesn't load the original missions/maps and they also deliberately changed the balancing which is mostly design choice rather than engine limitations/differences. OpenRA is more of a game clone than a remake IMO, sort of like Super Tux Kart vs Mario Kart if Super Tux Kart used the Mario Kart graphics. At least that is how I see it.
Blade