- Text: Have you heard the good news?
  Options:
  - Text: No, and I don't want to either
    Destination: 260d85d8-5924-44fc-9b33-c9114fca29a5
  - Text: '*sigh* go on then'
    Destination: b16df095-43b5-4664-9ba5-f11fd4f9b677
- Identifier: 260d85d8-5924-44fc-9b33-c9114fca29a5
  Body:
  - Text: But... but... this game engine is to die for!
  Options:
  - Text: No I'm not interested at all
  - Text: '... fine, but this had better be good'
    Destination:  b16df095-43b5-4664-9ba5-f11fd4f9b677
- Identifier: b16df095-43b5-4664-9ba5-f11fd4f9b677
  Body:
  - Text: Yes! well... its a game engine you can program entirely in YAML! In fact the code your reading makes a valid world, good eh?... with autocomplete schemas and systems for everything and and and!!! its just so exciting!!
  Options:
  - Text: Yes!!!! I've alway wanted to program in the most whitespace aware and annoying markup language ever!
    Effect:
    - Apply:
         Name: Interest
         Intensity: 9999
  - Text: No.... just No!
    Attitude: -20

{l Code}: {l Select All Code}
Name: Interest
FatalThreshold: 40
FatalVerb: excitement
Injuries:
   - Name: Interested
     Severity: 10
   - Name: Excited
     Severity: 20
   - Name: Mind Blown
     Region: Head
     Severity: 30

The engine has been excised from Starship Wanderer and is now available as a nuget package. You can now write a game in nothing but YAML

- https://github.com/tznind/Wanderer
- https://www.nuget.org/packages/Wanderer/

I'm trying to create a game engine with as low a barrier to entry as possible. There is an online dialogue builder tool too which simplifies the dialogue YAML writing even further to the point where you are just entering indented text with no markup at all.

- https://tznind.github.io/WandererTools/

The engine is designed to create a more open world 'choose your own adventure' style of game where the player is free to explore rooms and enter dialogue at will (or just start murdering people) rather than follow a scripted path through the story (like in a classic choose your own adventure game).

I've been coding it since January last year and would like to get feedback on anything I can do to improve the user experience especially from a new user / inexperienced coders perspective. Also I would love collaborators on this project / suggestions of improvements etc.

Heres the test that the code in this post does make a valid world!

- https://github.com/tznind/Wanderer/blob ... eVendor.cs

In terms of UI there is an example command line text only UI, A richer console terminal GUI available as a nuget package and there is the test harness UI (FixedChoiceUI) but the engine is designed to slot into any UI you want to build in any dotnet standard compatible language with minimal work. The main README on the GitHub describes how to add a reference to the nuget package or begin writing your own UI.
tznind@dundee.ac.uk

Re: Wanderer: An engine so simple I wrote this post in it

Postby ffaf » 01 Jun 2020, 22:23

So to check if I got this correctly, I need to know some C# to use this, right?
ffaf

Postby tznind@dundee.ac.uk » 02 Jun 2020, 03:46

ffaf {l Wrote}:So to check if I got this correctly, I need to know some C# to use this, right?

Hi thanks for taking the time to look into the engine and for replying. You should be able to create a game without knowing any C#.

You need the dotnet sdk and a few lines of code to start the game running but everything else can be driven completely from the YAML and there is no c# code in them. There is a template repository which already has Program.cs and the csproj file setup ready to go:

- https://github.com/tznind/WandererTemplate

If you have the time and are interested I would love to help you try it. It would definitely help me to understand where the current barriers and limitations are.
tznind@dundee.ac.uk

Postby ffaf » 02 Jun 2020, 12:02

tznind@dundee.ac.uk {l Wrote}:
ffaf {l Wrote}:So to check if I got this correctly, I need to know some C# to use this, right?

You need the dotnet sdk and a few lines of code to start the game running but everything else can be driven completely from the YAML and there is no c# code in them.

Only the one by Microsoft? Will

{l Code}: {l Select All Code}
libgtk-dotnet3.0-cil-dev - GTK.NET library - development files

— which I have in my repos — do?
Sorry if the question is basic, I know zero about dotnet.
ffaf

Postby tznind@dundee.ac.uk » 02 Jun 2020, 12:41

Hey, thanks for persevering with this, theres no question too basic! microsoft have instructions for installing the dotnet sdk on various linux distros e.g.:

Ubuntu:
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-gb/dotnet ... buntu-1910

Centos 7:
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-gb/dotnet ... er-centos7

There is a complete list of distros in the dropdown at the top of either of those pages. Typically you install by adding the microsoft packages repository and then using sudo yum install or something similar to add it.

I think you could probably build with mono if you don't want the microsoft packages for philosophical reasons... I would be happy to look into if I need to make any changes to the nuget package to support consuming it e.g. in dotnet framework mono.
tznind@dundee.ac.uk

Postby ffaf » 02 Jun 2020, 12:59

Yes, I am wary of installing anything Microsoft (or — convenience wise — anything which doesn’t come in repos).

Wait a bit and see if there are other takers!
ffaf

Postby tznind@dundee.ac.uk » 02 Jun 2020, 13:14

ffaf {l Wrote}:Yes, I am wary of installing anything Microsoft (or — convenience wise — anything which doesn’t come in repos).

Wait a bit and see if there are other takers!

I understand. It looks like the debian package you linked is an assembly (and/or tools) for working with GTK+ from .net so probably wouldn't help much.

I will look into mono anyway as its always good to support as many development tools as possible. Although open source Mono are sponsored by Microsoft so that might be a problem for you too.
tznind@dundee.ac.uk