Seclusion Game Engine

Seclusion Game Engine

Postby onpon4 » 15 May 2020, 01:01

Remember my game engine, the SGE? Maybe someone does. Well, I'm picking it back up for maintenance again!

https://python-sge.github.io

The Seclusion Game Engine (SGE) is a simple 2-D game engine for Python. I originally wrote it years back, when it was called the "Stellar Game Engine" and then the "SGE Game Engine". The new name is a joke: I'm the only person on the planet using this thing. ;) It's also a subtle pun on the way I pronounce "SGE" (I pronounce it like "sage"): like a sage secluded in the mountains.

The SGE is not as advanced as something like Godot Engine, but I've made an attempt to make it worthwhile in its own right. Some of the SGE's features include:

• Window size management: Windows are scaled automatically based on certain parameters to achieve a particular window and view size, ensuring consistency.
  • Collision detection: A direction-based collision system is included which, while not as advanced as physics engines and the like, offers a good amount of flexibility.
  • Parallax scroling: Parallax scrolling is a very easy and highly configurable built-in feature, supporting any number of layers which can be made up of plain images or tiles.
  • Image transformation: Rotation, scaling, and blending with all major blend modes are standard image manipulation features.
  • Split-screen views: Multiple views can be created to easily enable split-screen play.
  • Delta timing: Delta timing is automatic, allowing the game to lower the frame rate as needed to prevent slowdown (down to a minimum frame rate), and also allowing the game to speed up to a faster frame rate if enough CPU time is available. Delta timing is fully configurable and can be disabled if desired.
  • Transitions: Built-in support for several kinds of transitions between rooms (game areas), including fade, dissolve, pixelate, wipe, matrix, and iris transitions.

Additionally, xSGE provides a set of extensions for the SGE. The following xSGE packages are available:

• xsge_gui: A simple lightweight widget toolkit for use with SGE games.
  • xsge_lighting: Allows basic lighting effects in any mix of colors.
  • xsge_particle: Implements an emitter class and stock particle types for easy particle effects.
  • xsge_path: A path class for defining movement along a path, with configurable speeds.
  • xsge_physics (beta): A basic physics framework supporting unisolid walls, slopes, and moving platforms in an easy manner.

Feel free to give it a try if you like, and I'm open to suggestions for improvement as well. :)

(Note: the links to games on the Games page of the website don't work yet. Those links will be fixed when I migrate those projects over to GitHub.)
onpon4

Re: Seclusion Game Engine

Postby onpon4 » 07 Sep 2020, 19:01

SGE has been updated to version 1.7:

https://github.com/python-sge/sge/releases/tag/v1.7

In addition, a new module has been added to xSGE called xsge_tiled, which is essentially like the old xsge_tmx module, but using the JSON format instead of TMX. As such, a new xSGE bundle containing this as well as a new update to xsge_gui has been released:

https://github.com/python-sge/xsge/rele ... 2020.09.07
onpon4

Postby Technopeasant » 07 Sep 2020, 21:46

onpon4 {l Wrote}:The new name is a joke: I'm the only person on the planet using this thing. ;)

Engine design in and of itself can be its very own hobby. ;)
Technopeasant

Postby onpon4 » 08 Sep 2020, 04:05

True! Although I gotta admit, it's kind of a pain in the butt to get stuff working at first. Honestly, the best thing for me is that I can use it now rather than having to use Pygame directly. :)
onpon4

Postby Jastiv » 08 Sep 2020, 23:20

Any games for the engine I can play or is it just an "engine without the games" even a demo game would be good.
Jastiv

Postby dulsi » 09 Sep 2020, 00:01

Retux uses it. Hexoshi seems to also use it.
dulsi

Postby onpon4 » 09 Sep 2020, 05:15

Yes, ReTux, Hexoshi, Pacewar, Tangomon, and Kitten Command are the examples I'm aware of (we developed all of those). ReTux and Hexoshi are my favorites, though Hexoshi is awaiting restarted development so the website is kind of bare at the moment (a couple other, smaller tasks to attend to first).
onpon4