My newest unnamed game

My newest unnamed game

Postby Unnamed » 26 Jan 2020, 12:10

Another of my game prototypes is ready. Yet again, I have no idea how to call it ;)
I started with something similar to the 'hacking' subgame in Freedroid but with a twist. Later on I redesigned everything. It now works fairly different.
Next I built some stuff around it. I figured out a cyber punk setting fits well with the idea of 'hacking' simulation.
I'm not sure what I try to accomplish here. It would surely be easier if I've had an idea about what this game is actually going to become.
Anyway, here it is:
repository
release page
It will probably contain many bugs. I haven't tested it well enough. It was made with Godot 3.1.2.
I'd appreciate feedback.

Screenshots:
ss01.jpg
ss03.jpg
ss02.png
Unnamed

Re: My newest unnamed game

Postby Julius » 26 Jan 2020, 16:47

Hexhack
Hexwave
Hexlink
Hexsync
Hexport
Jada Jada Ja ;)
Julius
Community Moderator

Postby Unnamed » 27 Jan 2020, 22:38

So the main game works like this:
  • select a controled node
  • choose a program to be executed on that node
  • the program will run and attack/capture surrounding nodes, or defend against attacks, etc.
  • programs will use CPU (which is the resource) depending on what they are doing
These programs can be modified by the player. Right now it's done by simple scripts which look like this:
{l Code}: {l Select All Code}
// Offence program that attacks all neighboring nodes.
for i in all_nodes
  // Connect to all adjacent enemies.
  connect i
end
// Attack and disconnect
attack 5  // The argument is the damage (more damage costs more CPU).
disconnect
return

I wonder if it is a good idea to represent it as script files. The in-game editor works via buttons and drop down menus though.
Maybe a graphical representation would work better? I'm not sure if you can expect people to understand how simple pseudo codes work.
Unnamed

Postby Unnamed » 28 Jan 2020, 22:31

Here is an alternative idea to script files to make more clear what I'm actually talking about.

hc_nodes.png

You can align elements on a hex grid. There is a start and an end element. After performing an action depending on the type the focus moves on to the next element as indicated by the arrow (which can be rotated during the creation process). It is also possible that there are multiple possible directions and the actual direction is determined for example by a condition that is evaluated during run time. So this example will lead to repeated attacks on hostile adjacent nodes as long as there are any.
Unnamed