Magnetic Planet is back (now in english)

Magnetic Planet is back (now in english)

Postby Pesciodyphus » 20 Jan 2020, 20:23

Magnetic Planet was a German freeware game in 1996 made by KIWI with their Q-Pop engine as an ad-game for TDK that runs on 16bit Windows. Now in 2020 an open source remake is released by fans. This is the C-Remake running on Windows (and designed to be portable) with advanced graphics. There will also come a Javascript remake running in the browser, and we will also make remakes of Q-Pop itself.

It is a turn based strategy/evolution simulation game, there you control a race of robots strandet on a megnetic planet and have to survive. Each round has several phases. The most important are the reproduction phase, there you control your race on the world map, and conquer territory and the survival phase, there you control an individual that has to eat, reproduce and avoid getting killed.

Legal stuff:
* The original game files are shareware, and can be redistributed, but should not be used commercial. (We asked the original developer for permission for a remake)
* The remake game engine is made by me and open source (written in C)
* The HQX-library is under GNU-LGPL, the modified source code is linked.
* The MIDI-decoder is public domain (and in the download package for the engine).

New features:
*Zoom: As a GUI-Application, the 640x480 Window would look small on high resolutions. The remake features zoom using the HQX-Algorithm (or optional nearest neighbour or liniar interpolation)
*Velocity settings: You can turn of scrolling in survival phase (as it is possible in Q-Pop). Further, you can shorten the combat animations in reproduction phase and let AI-Players automtically hit continue.
*Multiplayer: It supports hotseat multiplayer, as Q-Pop does.
*Translations are now possible. The game was originally in German only, but now supports other languages, that can be chosen from text files. I made an English translation, and hope forum members make their own translation. (look at the comments in the ENGLISH.INI for help). No recompilation is needed for that.

To run it, execute the MPLAN32.EXE, the new engine. The MPLANET.EXE is the old executable, that is still needed for its resources, but doesn't work on 64bit windows.

Download Game (for Windows) as Zip-File:
https://yadi.sk/d/IWLru8fnLNdDiA
Download source code of the new engine:
https://yadi.sk/d/vCG99K_zZJ-vnw
Download modified HQX Library (GNU-LGPL):
https://yadi.sk/d/PnbrD0_bIWvamA

Some screenshots:
The survival round. 640x480

Meteor impact after the reproduction round. 1280x960 with hq2x.

Links:
https://www.frunit.de/qpop/ - Q-Pop fanpage (in German)
https://qpop.fandom.com/de/wiki/Q-Pop_und_Magnetic_Planet_Wiki - Q-Pop and Magnetic Planet Wiki (in German)

FAQ:
F: Why do I need a programe with "32" in title for 64-bit computer.
A: 64-bit computers are downward compatible with 32-bit computers, but not with 16 bit computers (including the 80286). Native 64-bit code is only needed for programes that need gigabytes of RAM, while this only needs ~10MB of RAM. Also the compatiblity problems started with Windows XP, that typically runs on 32bit computers.

F: How can I set the zoom ?
A: It choses automatically that highest zoom possible (integer multiples of 640x480) with your desktop resolution . If you want a higher resolution choose a higher desktop resolution. Tipp: 1280x960 gives you full screen (at least on 4:3 screens).

F: It says, I cannot execute 16-Bit executables:
A: Run the MPLAN32.EXE, not the MPLANET.EXE. (the old EXE-File is still needed for its resources.)

F: The Window cannot be moved !
A: This wasn't possible in the orginal too. Maybe future versions will support it.

F: The music doesn't work !
A: Make sure you have a MIDI-synthesizer set in your system settings. Sometimes the music also failes without reason, in this case restart the programme.

F: The text is in German, how to set it to English ?
A: click on the button labeled "DE" on the top bar (it is missing in the screenshots here). Now you get a menu to select english (or another language if someone makes the translations)
Pesciodyphus

Re: Magnetic Planet is back (now in english)

Postby dulsi » 20 Jan 2020, 20:52

What changes did you need to do to HQX? Do you have a source control repository? How hard would it be to port to Linux? Any plans to do so?
dulsi

Postby Pesciodyphus » 20 Jan 2020, 22:25

@dulsi:
* With HQX, I optimized it for codesize instead of speed, because it is only used once then bitmaps are loaded into the backend (instead of every frame in realtime). Exact changes:
** (init.c/commons.h) the conversion from RGB to YUV doesn't use a 64MB lookup table that causes a delay when initialised, but 3 lookup tables for each channel that each take 1kB and are initalised in no time.
** (commons.h) I change inline functions to __stdcall (like __pascal on Windows).

* No there is no source control repository. The guy, who makes the Javascript remake has a GitHub account, but it is currently only used for extracted files, and file specifications. (https://github.com/Frunit/qpop-ressourcen), but there is no source code yet. When I am finished with Q-Pop, ported both games to Linux, and beta tests are done, I will upload my source code.

*It is designed to be portable, fairly easy, by using a lean backend with a small interface to the portable game engine (as long the CPU is little endian). The Widgets/Controls you see in the screenshots aren't windows controls, instead everything is drawn with raw drawing funktions (BitBlit() with the operators COPY,AND and OR, Rectangle() and DrawText()). If you download the source code, you should take a look into the file SYSTEMIO.H that defines the interface between backend and engine. The biggest problem would be the MIDI music, that seems to be difficult on Linux. Further it uses the Windows specific compression library LZEXPAND.DLL, and RLE-compressed BMP images, but this can be avoided, by converting the files, as we now have the permission, to use extracted files. (I started the C-Remake before, so it was designed to work with the unchaged files). I will eventually have to port it to Linux, but have no experience with GUI applications there. If someone want's to port it himself, go ahead. Further, you can translate it to your language, without recompiling it.
Pesciodyphus

Q-Pop is now back, too

Postby Pesciodyphus » 13 Sep 2020, 09:31

A Q-Pop remake is now availible, too.
In can be played in Browser for free over itch.io.
Here is the link:
https://frunit.itch.io/q-pop
It is availible in German and English.
If you are registered there, you can post comments and questions. Otherwise, you can use the contact funktion of frunit.
Pesciodyphus

Postby Asplomer » 20 Jan 2021, 00:48

Hi, Im a Game Design Student from Argentina. I played the game and I could help translating it from English to Spanish. You know, I am in summer holidays now and have spare time. Do you like this idea? Regards
Asplomer

Postby Pesciodyphus » 04 Feb 2021, 16:14

@Asplomer: Sorry for the late Response. Your Translation is welcome. I hope the offer still stands.
Do you have any technical Questions ?
You should be able to make a translation without recompiling the game. Open the ENGLISH.INI and look at the comments.
Pesciodyphus

Postby Pesciodyphus » 08 Feb 2021, 20:38

OK update:
Thanks to the Help from Asplomer, the Game Magnetic Planet 32 is now also available in Spanish.
The Files at Yandex Disk have been updated.
Pesciodyphus