Programmers needed for sci-fi themed multiplayer social game

Programmers needed for sci-fi themed multiplayer social game

Postby OSBuff » 19 Jan 2020, 18:02

Welcome aboard Space Station 3D, when the clown is the most sensible person on the ship!

Foreword

Hello everyone! I'm rather new here so I'm sort of nervous to be posting this (this is my first thread!) but recently there's this new open source project whose Discord I’ve been active on and it seems really promising. They have a very vibrant community (I’ve never seen so such an active Discord with this many new arrivals before!) and are making some really substantial progress, have made new management changes recently, and have improved the production process for the programming and modelling pipelines. Overall, this project is highly promising and has a very bright future ahead of it, I’ve seen the work being done before my own eyes. The only issue is that we don’t have enough programmers! Alot of the programming work is done by a small number of people putting their heart and soul into it and while we’re making substantial progress, the scope of the project is very large (as I will explain shortly) and we need more people on the technical side of things to keep the project moving at a consistent pace. That’s why I’ve come to this forum to ask for help. That’s right, we need you to join the project and help us out if you want to.

Background

Space Station 3D is a remake of an existing game called Space Station 13, another open source project with the aim to bring the mechanics of the original with better controls, presentation, and UI than the original. The jist of both SS3D and SS13 are the same: you, along with other players, are thrown onto a space station and are made to run it through the job assigned to you at the beginning of the game. The game follows a round structure with a specific objective given at the start of a round (i.e. make sure the space station doesn’t crash and burn by the end of the time limit or find the traitor on the station) and the round ends after the objective has been met. Different gamemodes have different objectives (as illustrated above) and sometimes random events like black holes or an alien infestation may occur during a round. There is also a deep chemistry system, surgery, and crafting system all associated with different jobs or departments on the station as well as a complex atmospherics system for regulating oxygen, heating, and gases within the station. SS3D will attempt to replicate all of this and, as you can see, it’s a very tough job.

Of course, the fun of the game comes from how each round never goes smoothly. There is always chaos abound and each game never goes the same way. SS13 has developed a substantial but small community that is very dedicated to it and it’s unique-ness. There is no game quite like SS13 and the closest game I can think of to it is an MMO like Star Wars Galaxies or EVE Online. It’s a very underrated gem and has lots of untapped potential. Now, you may ask yourself “If it’s so good and unique, why haven’t I heard about it? Shouldn’t it be popular? A game similar to Star Wars Galaxies out of all things is highly requested”. Well, the issue is that the game looks like this:

Yeah, it’s one of those games. It also has a control scheme that’s close to Dwarf Fortress’s in terms of inaccessibility. If a casual player interested in the games premise took one look at the games graphics and controls, they’d be turned off immediately. This isn’t me talking out of my ass, this is from first hand experience showing my friends the game. As you can see, it’s in dire need of a makeover and that’s exactly what SS3D is. SS3D is a remake, a new haircut for SS13 to make it far more approachable than it is now. That’s the team’s goal and vision and it’s what we as a community want to see accomplished.

Looking for

Programmers and technical artists

How to join

Join the Discord or go on the Github and get started. Both are available at the website. The current team list can also be found on the website.

https://ss3d.space/

https://discord.gg/3ny9tdH

https://github.com/RE-SS3D
OSBuff

Re: Programmers needed for sci-fi themed multiplayer social

Postby dulsi » 20 Jan 2020, 14:26

Interesting. Looks like Space Station 13 is only partially open source. It uses a closed source game engine BYOND. Looks like Space Station 3D is progressing down the same path using Unity for the game engine. There isn't a lot of Unity experience here and many are opposed to the closed source engine. (I'm not saying you should switch engines. If you have programmers interested in Unity that is probably better than no programmers with an open source engine. Even if you switched game engines finding programmers is hard.)
dulsi

Postby OSBuff » 20 Jan 2020, 16:30

Unfortunately there's not much I can do on the game engine side of things. The team has already put too much content into Unity to throw that away. However, Space Station 3D wants to be as open source as possible within the current conditions it's in. We can't guarantee being able to fiddle around with the engine, but you can fiddle around with the game as much as you would like.

If you are interested, please join the Discord, if not please tell friends or acquaintances of the project. We need the help. :)
OSBuff

Postby Technopeasant » 01 Feb 2020, 04:32

I have always thought a space station would be a wonderful setting for an open-world game, as it is a free flowing facility that still has natural borders (so no need for invisible walls or other arbitrary obstructions at the edges).
Technopeasant

Postby Jastiv » 05 Feb 2020, 21:46

If inaccessibility is a problem, why not add a tutorial to the game?
Jastiv

Postby Lyberta » 06 Feb 2020, 03:50

Deleted.
Last edited by Lyberta on 01 Oct 2021, 06:59, edited 1 time in total.
Lyberta

Postby Jastiv » 08 Feb 2020, 09:09

It looks pretty simplistic graphics wise. I'm not sure why it needs such a fancy game engine. It looks like something a good Java dev could pull of in a week. (not me lol) And by that I mean the front end gui part (I'm not sure about the back end part from the screenshot, that would probably take more time, but it doesn't have to be done in Java, it could be done in C even. Traditionally, clients are harder to put together rather than server back-ends. mostly because people get attached to the client and the stuff you see, but if someone knows the game mechanics, they can throw a server together without worrying how it looks. If it needs new freely-licensed graphics, I could do them, or opengameart.or might have some useful tiles for it.
Jastiv