[$20/mo] Python/Godot dev 4 UGC MMO(Sl, Roblox like)

[$20/mo] Python/Godot dev 4 UGC MMO(Sl, Roblox like)

Postby DrAltaica » 08 Dec 2019, 06:05

I've had depression from my teens but am now unable to work and it's hard to get out of bed everyday.

I've decided to work on a something I've Always wanted, an AGPL clone of Roblox with better graphics.

I'm prototyping in Python and am planning on using Godot for the client and eventually Rust for the server.

What I need is someone to keep me motivated. Preferably someone I could discuss code with but all you could do is check up on my everyday and offer encouragement that would be appreciated. If your interested in more doing encouragement than coding my phone number is Texan(USA) thou the primary way of communicating with be Discord or Facebook of some other online text messaging.

Here's the Homepage for the project http://toohna.ourproject.org/ and the Github project https://github.com/users/DrAlta/projects/1

For coding there is several things that need to be done:

Add support to Godot for Subdivision Surfaces.

I need to develop a level system with layered hightmaps like the Riot Engine(which can be loaded by OpenDrakan) with Doom style walls. that way it will be easy to do a 2d map.

Another thing that needs to be worked on is Deterministic Physics. I want a light wight 2.5D physics (rectangler and circler prisms that can move in 3 axis but can only rotate around the Z axis).

The Solipsis base P2P networking.

Then there is the game it self. I'm going for a social physics game with based off of Prom Week and Siboots with with a scheduling game(like Princess Maker or littlewitch Romanesque) element.

There will be 3 modes of play :

First you schedule where everyone what tasks all your characters are doing.

Second is the Social Mode where you go through your day to play like Prom Week or Siboots, Characters will be at discrete locations and can interact with other chars at the same location and time will be measured in abstract actions, Like in an IF. The scheduling is really just a skin over the Social Mode.

Third will be combat/explore mode it will continuous timed. Different actions will take different lengths of time and it will ether be real time or it will pause when it's time for your char to make a new decision kinda like auto-pause mode of Baldur's Gate. This will be you're ARPG/RTS gameplay

You'll have complete freedom to program the AI of your protagonist(or Hero char) to score the actions but only be able to influence the Companion AI by their interactions with other chars, thou there will be mind control magic to read the Companion and NPC's minds and alter their memories. The difference between Companion and NPCs is that you will be able to veiw the minds of your Companion char and select their actions from the top few

The idea is that the players are one of the Jiminy Crickets or little people in side your char's head. And your hero char is the leader of a small trope in classic CRPG style.

It will be a Massively Single Player game which is why you won't have direct control of your hero char but be force to program it's AI but it won't seem like it because it will use the same language you use to play the game to program the AI like how Forth is the same language for the prepossessor, the program and the shell. I'm still working on how to sync the Social Mode between players. The idea is that you're never sure if an NPC is being played by another human or just an AI so you treat them as actual people. and to get people to think things though before they do them.

Like I said in this post title I have $20USD a month to compensate you for your time. I'll pay you through PayPal

All the code and assets developed for the project will be AGPL3.
DrAltaica

Re: [$20/mo] Python/Godot dev 4 UGC MMO(Sl, Roblox like)

Postby Julius » 09 Dec 2019, 10:24

Interesting idea to hire a motivation coach for game development :)

But psychology research has often shown that monetary rewards don't motivate much, so it might be rather the motivating factor of the sunk cost for your self... maybe rather spend this money on a nice Patreon of someone that creates resources useful for your game?
Julius
Community Moderator

Postby Ntech » 15 Dec 2019, 20:36

Hey DrAltaica, your project sounds pretty cool, something that I'd love to be involved in! I've done some stuff in Python myself, including a little Tank MMO (github.com/servusDei2018/TankistOnline). I'd be more than happy to help out wherever I can (in my free time), and keep you on track -- for free.
Deo gratias, Ave Maria
Ntech

Postby DrAltaica » 16 Dec 2019, 12:45

I've had a run of bad luck starting when I shared my coffee with my laptop so I don't have a computer of my own I can use. I'll have to look thru the drive and update my GitHub thou most of what I've written if just making tables.

I wanted to create data-structure to keep trace of the modifiers to stats but that probably wasn't I wise decision.

I think a good project to work on would be to make a GUI with a tile map and pixel movement and the ability to click on objects and bring up a menu of what you can do with that object. IF I remember correctly pygame is a resource hog and doesn't have GUI elements and I wanted the ability to copy and paste text.

I finally sat down and worked out how combat will work. Now I'm working on the social physics. I was going throu the Siboot design docs preparing to make a clone of it since it seems to a simpler social sim and the pascal source code is easier to understand than Prom Weeks which has a few thousand rules written in it's own language.
DrAltaica

Postby Ntech » 16 Dec 2019, 21:40

Sounds good. For the GUI, I reccomend switching to Pyglet (I've used it in the past, it's pretty good in size and speed, and is pretty powerful).
Deo gratias, Ave Maria
Ntech