Alchemy Quest - (Puzzle) [LOOKING FOR PROGRAMMERS]

Re: Alchemy Quest - (Puzzle) [LOOKING FOR PROGRAMMERS]

Postby dulsi » 16 Sep 2019, 23:55

What do you mean by graphical glitches? I believe OpenAlchemist mode should be working just like the original.

AlchemyQuest will have an executable in the end. Hythlodaeus's goal is a high quality game based on OpenAlchemist but a demake for the NES. There are various additions beyond OpenAlchemist in the design doc. My goal was to have a two player puzzle game for my arcade machine. Hythlodaeus wanted to just drop OpenAlchemist mode but I like having an engine that can run both. That way more people can enjoy the original since the clanlib dependency does make it hard to play.
dulsi

Postby MCMic » 17 Sep 2019, 14:05

Hum ok I’m still not sure what prevents from having only one mode. What are the hard changes from the original which are not just new features?

I have graphical glitches in the menu, in some places it’s written yes/no in an other font than the rest. Also the option for hardware/software renderer has a glitchy purple background.
MCMic

Postby dulsi » 17 Sep 2019, 15:34

MCMic {l Wrote}:Hum ok I’m still not sure what prevents from having only one mode. What are the hard changes from the original which are not just new features?

Well changing resolution would be more work than changing skins. The bigger problem is that we would need to modify every skin to support everything in Alchemy Quest. For example, Alchemy Quest supports a 2 player mode. To support that in Open Alchemist we would need to develop new backgrounds. I don't know that we have the artist skills to do that.

MCMic {l Wrote}:I have graphical glitches in the menu, in some places it’s written yes/no in an other font than the rest. Also the option for hardware/software renderer has a glitchy purple background.

The purple background for renderer in Open Alchemist is from the original version. I don't know why they did that but I haven't changed it. I suspect the same is true with yes/no font being different. Feel free to send me a screenshot or you can load a VM of fedora and compare it to the original. In Open Alchemist all the "text" in the game is stored in png files. I don't know if they used one font or multiple fonts. I don't know if that was on purpose or not. Alchemy Quest is generating the text from a "font" (image with all the symbols in it). Which is why Alchemy Quest has "These are your pieces" not "This is your pieces". Fixing Open Alchemist requires updating image files in all three skins. I've debated cutting the letters out into a "font" file and generating the text like Alchemy Quest but that is a fair amount of work.
dulsi

Postby MCMic » 17 Sep 2019, 21:43

Here are screenshots of the glitches.

The pink background on hover is definitely a glitch it should use the same effect as other menu entries.
The color blind option have yet another effect on it, the text goes yellow on hover instead.
Attachments
Screenshot_20190917_223730.jpg
Screenshot_20190917_223643.jpg
MCMic

Postby dulsi » 17 Sep 2019, 22:04

It's not a glitch. Yes it is ugly but it is how Open Alchemist works. My guess is that these are newer features and the skins were never fully updated. There is a todo entry about graphics and the authors did say they were waiting on some artwork before making a 0.4 tarball. Maybe this is why.
dulsi

Postby MCMic » 18 Sep 2019, 08:00

Why is it not the same code used for all menu entries? Why would the hover effect be different?
MCMic

Postby dulsi » 18 Sep 2019, 11:27

MCMic {l Wrote}:Why is it not the same code used for all menu entries? Why would the hover effect be different?

It is the same code. When you are not on the item, it displays the unselected image. When you are on the item, it displays the selected image. The problem is that the images are inconsistent. Why are they using images for this? I can't tell you. It was that way when I got here. :)
dulsi

Postby mdtrooper » 12 May 2020, 16:32

Hi.

I want to help to this project.

My first small step is add a .gitignore: https://gitlab.com/dulsi/alchemyquest/-/merge_requests/1

And the next small step, I want to improve a README (translate to markdown). How do you see it?
And I have a Patreon in https://www.patreon.com/migueldedios.
mdtrooper

Postby dulsi » 12 May 2020, 22:47

I wonder if I don't have notifications setup on gitlab. I didn't get an email about this nor the two issues filed with the project.

I've merged your request. If you want to improve the README go ahead.
dulsi

Postby mdtrooper » 17 May 2020, 01:30

Yep, I improved (translate to markdown) the README. You have a new pull request.
mdtrooper

Postby mdtrooper » 23 May 2020, 01:10

Another pull request, I have made the change that you advised me.
mdtrooper

Postby dulsi » 27 Feb 2021, 00:06

I'm thinking of adding Gamerzilla support to Open Alchemist and eventually Alchemy Quest. As someone not good at the game, I'm open to suggestions on achievements for combos and maybe score. Obviously there would be achievements for getting all the elements and probably something like half or 2/3rds.
dulsi

Postby dulsi » 07 Mar 2021, 15:10

I decided to add a small number of achievements now rather than wait until I have a larger set. You can see the result here. Alchemy Quest does not have achievements at this time.
dulsi

Postby dulsi » 25 Apr 2021, 00:09

Alchemy Quest has a website: http://identicalsoftware.com/alchemyquest/index.html

It's not very good and mostly copies from the original Open Alchemist sites but I wanted to make a new release and needed a site to point people to.
dulsi