Astro Commander/FTL Rogue

Astro Commander/FTL Rogue

Postby dulsi » 28 Jun 2019, 05:11

Steve Smith posted about his patreon and projects. I took a look at Astro Commander. The idea is a roguelike version of FTL. (I really enjoyed FTL and wish I had time to play more of it.) The compile and start bat files don't work since I'm not running Windows. Copy and pasting the javac line fails because of '\' instead of '/'. Does Windows work with '/'? If it does maybe make it use them to help non Windows users. Also you need to create the bin directory. Copy and pasting the java line crashes. You need to copy (or move) the data directory from the src directory to the bin directory.

Why don't I know the layout of the ship at the beginning instead of having to explore it? I'm not fond of the computer panel interface. I didn't notice the 'h' command to use an item which caused me to be annoyed by my inability to shoot. After using 'h' and choosing the pistol, it doesn't seem to do anything when I shoot. I select the target but nothing happens. My favorite tactics from FTL don't work. You don't have the ability to open and close doors easily. I often used use opening the airlock and some doors to combat enemies or fire.
dulsi

Re: Astro Commander/FTL Rogue

Postby fluffrabbit » 28 Jun 2019, 12:56

Windows works with '/' fine. '\' is a holdover from when you could dual boot DOS and run DOS software. My familiarity with filesystems in general is insufficient to know exactly how different path separators can be used, but they can.

Looks interesting.
fluffrabbit

Postby SteveSmith » 01 Aug 2019, 13:05

Thanks for giving it a go. It goes without saying that, just like a lot of [my] projects, I slowly lost interest before it was completed or polished, but it's nice just to see it mentioned by someone. :)
SteveSmith

Postby mdtrooper » 02 Aug 2019, 13:12

FTL Rogue is sound great....but it is in java. Sorry.
And I have a Patreon in https://www.patreon.com/migueldedios.
mdtrooper

Postby Ntech » 02 Aug 2019, 16:24

Java's pretty good, and though I don't use it much, I actually prefer games written in it to games in Go, Haskell, Ruby and NodeJS.
Deo gratias, Ave Maria
Ntech

Postby fluffrabbit » 02 Aug 2019, 16:55

Ntech {l Wrote}:Java's pretty good, and though I don't use it much, I actually prefer games written in it to games in Go, Haskell, Ruby and NodeJS.

Interesting tastes you have.

* Java requires fully-qualified namespace paths all over the place
* Go gets its panties in a bunch about non-pedantic programming practices
* Haskell doesn't even look like C

I can't speak for Ruby and NodeJS as I haven't really used them, but the others are shit. That is fact.
fluffrabbit

Postby dulsi » 02 Aug 2019, 18:34

Language arguments don't contribute anything.

I went back and played some FTL recently. (Never played with the enhancements they added. My friends said they would never be on a starship with me once they heard about my experiments with the cloning bay. You have to give up the medical bay to get the cloning bay so you can't heal people but if you them in a section exposed to space and kill them you get a full healed crew member. You do lose some skill which is unfortunate.) FTL allows you to tell a crew member to go to section X and they automatically operate it, put out fires, repair it, and fight intruders. Maybe this needs more of a command others functionality. I was thinking maybe a game focused on away missions might be fun as a roguelike. Pick team members to go with you. They automatically keep close to you. You can order the science officer to investigate something or the doctor to help someone.
dulsi