Marketing newcomer looking for indie games to promote (free)

Marketing newcomer looking for indie games to promote (free)

Postby Gamedev-Stringphone » 09 May 2019, 12:23

I’m enrolled in a course for online marketing. Therefore I’m looking for indie games to
promote as project work. I have previous knowledge in media design, I can also offer
screenshots, gameplay trailers or setting up a basic website with blog. The marketing
I’m learning in my course will be focused on your website.

I have worked on personal unreleased game projects in the past. I’m switching to
marketing now and hope to learn more valuable skills for my passion game making.

My services are free for now because I want to get experience working on real game
projects in order to build a marketing portfolio.

Ideally you have a presentable game project with website, speak english or german,
have fast response times and are patient. If you have further questions feel free to
post here.

Please fill out this short contact form if you want collaborate with me:
https://forms.gle/WEHuWbUWFhPRJWLVA
Gamedev-Stringphone

Re: Marketing newcomer looking for indie games to promote (f

Postby fluffrabbit » 10 May 2019, 00:13

I like the idea of the kind of site you're talking about, and I don't speak for everyone, but I think you may be looking for a different group. This site is about Free Software games, not freeware/indie games. There is a list of forums for the latter. I go on TIGSource a lot to get my indie game fix, and I go here for programming and open source discussion.

For what it's worth, posting an online form for this rubs me the wrong way a bit. You expect people to take you on your word, yet it's only words. A mockup of the site with a direct line of contact may be more appealing.

EDIT: Looks like you already found TIGSource.
fluffrabbit

Postby Julius » 10 May 2019, 10:07

IMHO my main concern is/was that is is obviously a drive by cut & paste message and the use of the form is to not having to check all the many places this got pasted to. So I contemplated to not approve this first post.

However, many open source games lack good marketing, so maybe something interesting can come out of it, even if marketing a non-commercial project might not be so strait forward.
Julius
Community Moderator

Postby Wuzzy » 20 May 2019, 17:08

Hey, thanks for your offer! :heart: You come at the right time.

Hi, I'm a core Hedgewars developer. We're currently in public beta and Hedgewars has been playable for years and we hope to release the long-awaited version 1.0.0 one day. Hopefully soon :) Our bug list keeps burning down :). But Hedgewars really has a popularity problem right now, so I (and I am sure the others as well) would appreciate any help. Our community is not dead (you will find people playing online), it's just very small. And I myself am just completely unexperienced in this kind of “promoting” stuff. You come exactly at the right moment, when we are getting closer and closer to a 1.0.0 release.
By the way, I have posted about Hedgewars in this forum a while ago.

You could consider Hedgewars an “indie” game (in the sense we have no publisher, thus we are literally independent, thus “indie” :) ). But we consider Hedgewars first and foremost to be a free software game (see also).

I don't know exactly what you do, but I'm sure we'll figure that out later. What would definitely be great is a new nice trailer (we hadn't one in years).

This is NOT yet an official request (i.e. endorsed by the entire team), it's just me posting to you for now. (I say this because I think I should get the other developers onboard first). If Hedgewars interests you, feel free to drop by in our IRC channel #hedgewars on irc.freenode.net (webchat) so we can talk.

Here is the form filled out*:
E-Mail:
Wuzzy2@mail.ru (this is my own e-mail. We would really prefer IRC for this)

Name of current game project:
Hedgewars

Name of Team / Studio:
Hedgewars Project
(not really a “studio”, this is more a tongue-in-cheeck name. We're just a bunch of crazy people who decided to work on a game :) )

Website of Game:
https://www.hedgewars.org/

Website of Studio:
(none)

What is the size of your team:
5+ developers

What genres discribe your game best?:
Strategy

Average skill/experience level of team:
Experienced - starting to get the hang of it

Please Check these for your current situation
* Website for game: Yes
* Website for studio: No
* Game has a playable demo: Yes

Comments:
Hedgewars is currently officially in beta state (since years), but we have been plagued by bugs. But the bugs keep burning down and we are moving closer and closer to the version 1.0.0 release. :)

* = I post this here instead of the website because the UI of the website breaks without JavaScript, and I refuse to enable Google's proprietary JavaScript (I don't trust Google), let alone solve a reCAPTCHA (also proprietary) for this. Yes, I'm that serious about the whole “free software” thing. :) I hope you can forgive me.
Wuzzy

Postby Julius » 20 May 2019, 20:45

I doubt he will check this form again...

Anyways I saw that you have a IRC and Discord channel now:

https://www.hedgewars.org/node/6896

Would you be interested in having a channel on our new Mattermost https://chat.freegamedev.net and have that bridged to Discord and IRC?
We might even be able to get some devops working on your Mercurial: https://github.com/md1023/hg-mattermosthooks

Edit: Or via Kanboard to you bugzilla: https://github.com/biblibre/kanboard-plugin-Bugzilla
(And in turn Mattermost etc as Kanboard supports that. You can use our Kanboard or host it youself)
Julius
Community Moderator

Postby fluffrabbit » 20 May 2019, 22:17

Julius {l Wrote}:We might even be able to get some devops working on your Mercurial: https://github.com/md1023/hg-mattermosthooks

I might like being a devop, but everybody's using Git these days. Mercurial... Why?
fluffrabbit

Postby Wuzzy » 21 May 2019, 21:16

Hedgewars uses Mercurial. Hedgewars is older than Git. And frankly, I see no reason why we should switch now. IMO Mercurial and Git are almost equally good. I like Git slightly better, but only slightly, that's definitely not enough for a switch.

Anyway. How are Discord and Mattermost and Mercurial on-topic?
Wuzzy