ggj11: Planetary & Telemachus

ggj11: Planetary & Telemachus

Postby oberhamsi » 31 Jan 2011, 11:02

I'm the guy who did that other, very ugly html5 game with "sex" in the title. Remember?

For this Game Jam, instead of coming up with game ideas myself (the kind of games I like
are pretty niche) I implemented solid mechanics others have already
thought through.

I built 'Planetary', a physics based game utilizing Box2dJs, and a
simple Shoot-Em-Up 'Telemachus'.

PLAY Planetary

Telemachus takes two and a half minutes to play through. Planetary is
round-based and typically takes a couple of minutes to complete.

PLAY Telemachus

Both games require a modern browser. Chrome4+, Safari5+, IE9, Opera10+... enjoy :)

-----------

* code repo is linked on game page (github; license MIT)
* artwork is CC attribution
oberhamsi

Re: ggj11: Planetary & Telemachus

Postby qubodup » 15 Feb 2011, 07:41

Planetary is cute and interesting because of the enemy having different rules for their move.
Waiting for the ships to stop is a bit painful. (Click while they're floating could skip the wait?)
It'd be more enjoyable with sounds.

Telemachus has a good speed and cute graphics (can't find license/where author released them) and a nostalgic name - I love(d) Asterix & Obelix Comics. :)

Nice job I'd say. Care to share what you think you learned from this ggj?
qubodup
Global Moderator

Postby oberhamsi » 02 Mar 2011, 14:54

thanks qubodup. Waiting on ships: I already stop them early to avoid waiting, but I guess I could stop them even earlier for the impatient.

I did bot games to promote my javascript game library. didn't really learn much from the ggj except: do something where you are 100% sure you understand the scope ;)

more info about both - mostly technical - in there respective README's hosted here:

* https://github.com/oberhamsi/telemachus-gamejs
* https://github.com/oberhamsi/planetary-gamejs

telemachus graphics are done by michaelbe, in fact I 'stole' the whole game from him (with permission). it says so in the README ;)
oberhamsi

Postby qubodup » 02 Mar 2011, 15:08

oberhamsi {l Wrote}:thanks qubodup. Waiting on ships: I already stop them early to avoid waiting, but I guess I could stop them even earlier for the impatient.

That would affect gameplay where the gameplay itself is not harmful.. I was thinking that the movement could be the same regarding distance, directions and whatnot but that the movement would be drawn quicker and pass quicker. Or alternatively be skipped :)
qubodup
Global Moderator

Postby oberhamsi » 03 Mar 2011, 13:08

Ah! Now I get it.

But that won't happen :) I was fighting a lot with box2d to get it the way it is now... and I won't improve on this little game experiment.
oberhamsi