Lasagna Monsters

Lasagna Monsters

Postby StephenJSweeney » 12 May 2019, 09:20

I've made a sort-of sequel to Water Closet: Lasagna Monsters! I thought the whole water pistol section of WC would make a fun game on its own, so I've started making a Metroidvania out of it.

The objective of the game is to eliminate all the monsters on the various stages and rescue the girls. I've not written out the plot yet, but you can all expect it to be extremely daft. The code's available on github and currently stands at v0.3:

https://github.com/stephenjsweeney/lasagneMonsters

There's a gameplay video on YouTube here:

https://youtu.be/o_pqKI0Ekbw

I play badly in some parts just to illustrate certain aspects.
StephenJSweeney

Re: Lasagna Monsters

Postby fluffrabbit » 12 May 2019, 14:13

Judging from the video, the gameplay and audio have a nice feel to them, but I have mostly the same complaints about the aesthetics as I did with WC. You could at least make the player character look like less of a pushover.

I license this image CC0.
Attachments
player.png
player.png (559 Bytes) Viewed 292 times
fluffrabbit

Postby drummyfish » 12 May 2019, 14:25

It should also be mentioned this is not a libre game, there is a non-commercial license on assets.
Abolish all IP laws. Use CC0.
http://www.tastyfish.cz
drummyfish

Postby fluffrabbit » 12 May 2019, 14:33

drummyfish {l Wrote}:It should also be mentioned this is not a libre game, there is a non-commercial license on assets.

Thanks drummy, you just gave me an excuse to show up JC Steve and polish my own platformer shmup.
fluffrabbit

Postby dulsi » 13 May 2019, 14:27

drummyfish {l Wrote}:It should also be mentioned this is not a libre game, there is a non-commercial license on assets.

Still not true. This site does not have a strict policy on libre games. We allow game with non-commercial licenses on assets.
dulsi

Postby drummyfish » 13 May 2019, 15:25

I'm talking about the widely accepted definition, a forum's policy on what can be discussed doesn't define what a libre game is.
Abolish all IP laws. Use CC0.
http://www.tastyfish.cz
drummyfish

Postby dulsi » 14 May 2019, 00:18

Sorry. I miss read your post and thought you were saying it couldn't be discussed here. (I don't find responding with only that the game isn't libre isn't the best response. Instead if you really want it to be open, suggest libre resources. Granted if he doesn't want to relicense the levels, you would basically have to redo the game.)

I took a look at the video. Some animation would make the character look more alive. Do you have power ups planned? Are the worm things supposed to be lasagna monsters? I don't find them particularly lasagna like but I also don't have any ideas on improving the design.
dulsi

Re: Lasagne Monsters

Postby StephenJSweeney » 14 May 2019, 08:50

dulsi {l Wrote}:Some animation would make the character look more alive.

Something that I'll add in later, when most of the rest of the game is done, so I don't get bogged down in the drawing. The animating will be quite simple: 2 or 3 frames for most things.

dulsi {l Wrote}:Do you have power ups planned?

Yep - faster fill rate on the water pistol, large water capacity, double jump, an area map, extra health points. Most of these you'll have to buy with the coins you get from defeated enemies and treasure chests. The chests refill every 10 minutes, but only dispense 5 - 10 coins each. I decided to do this so there wouldn't be a fixed number of coins in the game. The power ups will need 50 - 75 coins to buy. You pop them into a piggy bank that will open a door. You can see a bunch of power ups, etc. in the dev screenshot below:

https://raw.githubusercontent.com/steph ... 0.3-02.png

dulsi {l Wrote}:Are the worm things supposed to be lasagna monsters? I don't find them particularly lasagna like but I also don't have any ideas on improving the design.

They're actually the result of an out-of-date lasagne that opened up a portal to the multiverse and allowed the monsters to reach Earth! It's Walter's fault this happened, so he's the one cleaning them up. The monsters are currently inhabiting his home city's sewer network.

There will be other features, such as the need to rescue Instagram models (known as BBBBBs) that got lost on the way to Fyre Festival and are now being held prisoner by the Lasagne Monsters. The monsters plan to have them serve the cream tea at 4pm, though they are currently at an impasse over whether the scones should be presented Devonian or Cornish style: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cream_tea#Variations

A theme of the game is that the monsters are hangry, so will be constantly talking about food (speech bubbles). I'm also planning 3 boss battles.

Yes, this game is going to be weird! I just felt like making it that way.
StephenJSweeney

Postby XGenGamer » 14 May 2019, 11:39

Looking at the video the gameplay looks very easy. My advice is to make the levels little bit harder to play as compared to we see in the video. Otherwise, the whole gameplay looks good..
XGenGamer

Postby StephenJSweeney » 15 May 2019, 11:56

XGenGamer {l Wrote}:Looking at the video the gameplay looks very easy.

Well, they are the opening stages of the game and they'll be easy to break players in. Also, saving is a bit more traditional in that you can only do so at specific points. Dying will mean returning to the most recent save point.

It actually was harder to begin with as Walter only had 3 health points and the enemies rarely dropped health items. I found this quite frustrating, however, so I upped the health to 5 points and made the chance of health items appearing depend on how much health the player has.
StephenJSweeney