Everything Attacks!

Everything Attacks!

Postby dulsi » 18 Sep 2018, 03:20

Everything Attacks is a simple game to help learn the western states, It was designed after a board game version I made for my son to help him study.

Open Game Source article describing the development.
dulsi

Re: Everything Attacks!

Postby c_xong » 18 Sep 2018, 05:44

Interesting approach to learning state names. I wonder if games like Risk are also effective at teaching geography - albeit less time efficient? I know I learned a lot of geography from games like Civilization and Total War.
c_xong

Postby dulsi » 19 Sep 2018, 13:00

Certainly games like Risk and Civilization can teach you some geography. I haven't played Total War but I can assume it is a game in a similar style.
dulsi

Postby dulsi » 26 Sep 2020, 03:54

Added Eastern states and Southern states. Currently it randomly selects the group of states to use. So you need to reload the page if you don't get the one you want. I need to add a selection screen.
dulsi

Postby Wuzzy » 26 Sep 2020, 23:50

I find it quite funny when Pirates or sea monsters attack Nevada. It's basically a big desert, right? I think pirates and sea monsters should only attack when there's actually an ocean border. :D

I think there should be a restart button at the end, this is better than reloading.

Also, let's not forget about the territories like Puerto Rico and Guam. You know, the things that are somehow officially part of the USA but aren't states and are not allowed to vote for president. And, of course, there's also the District of Columbia which is also special.

I noticed that Rhode Island is quite hard to see when it's being attacked because the monster occupies almost the entire state, so you can't see it.

When a state was destroyed, it turns black, but the border lines are also black, meaning the border line is invisible. I think destroyed states should have a different color, maybe dark gray.
Wuzzy

Postby dulsi » 27 Sep 2020, 04:26

Wuzzy {l Wrote}:I find it quite funny when Pirates or sea monsters attack Nevada. It's basically a big desert, right? I think pirates and sea monsters should only attack when there's actually an ocean border. :D

Actually that was something I wanted to have happen. My son always thought that was funny.

Yes there needs to be a restart.

The project was originally to help my son study for a quiz on the states. While territories are part of the USA, they weren't on the test. The plan was also to include state capitals. (The western states have all their capitals in the code but I haven't added it for the other states since I still haven't implemented capitals.)

Yeah Rhode Island is a problem. Not sure what to do with it.

I agree that the destroyed states should be a different color from the border. I think I tried doing that initially but didn't like the result. I should try again.

New version with a menu is now up.
dulsi