Yourik the Intergalactic Rabbit

Yourik the Intergalactic Rabbit

Postby semiletov » 01 Oct 2012, 11:30

Hello!
I'm glad to introduce my first game, animal rights themed "Yourik the Intergalactic Rabbit" (yourik.sourceforge.net). It is a simple arcade with a non-linear plot (there are two different endings) and large bosses.
Yes I know that Qt is not a preffered toolkit for games, but at the time of development I just wanted to make a game quickly, so I've used the familiar tools (C++/Qt, Inkscape, GIMP).
The code, graphics, music and sounds are made by myself and I've put them to public domain. There are source code and Windows build on the site. The source can be compiled and installed as root with commands:

qmake
make
make install

sat09.png

sat10.png

sat11.png

Now I'm working on the game "Yourik 2", with the same hero, but with different engine (C++/SDL are used) and another genre.
semiletov

Re: Yourik the Intergalactic Rabbit

Postby qubodup » 01 Oct 2012, 17:59

Love it! ^^

FYI:
{l Code}: {l Select All Code}
$ qmake
RCC: Warning: No resources in 'yourik.qrc'

(no idea what the problem is)

$ make -j1
g++ -m64 -Wl,-O1,--sort-common,--as-needed,-z,relro -Wl,-O1 -o yourik main.o cmainwindow.o game_elements.o finesound.o utils.o moc_cmainwindow.o qrc_yourik.o    -L/usr/lib -L/usr/X11R6/lib64 -lSDLmain -lSDL_mixer -lQtOpenGL -lQtGui -lQtCore -lGL -lpthread
/usr/bin/ld: finesound.o: undefined reference to symbol 'SDL_RWFromFile'
/usr/bin/ld: note: 'SDL_RWFromFile' is defined in DSO /usr/lib/libSDL-1.2.so.0 so try adding it to the linker command line
/usr/lib/libSDL-1.2.so.0: could not read symbols: Invalid operation
collect2: error: ld returned 1 exit status
make: *** [yourik] Error 1

It helped to add -lSDL to LIBS in the Makefile. (ps: my system info: http://codepad.org/sXymaJFP )

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/6217 ... qt-project helped me figure out how to play without system-wide install.

A game recommendation for you: viewtopic.php?f=22&t=102 (Like Yourik it has simple gameplay, plot-based). You might also like http://dnt.dnteam.org/ (it has some similar-looking vector art ^^, is plot-based although far-from done gameplay- and content-wise).

I recorded a video:

youtu.be/gruhwzua-nU
will update when uploaded fixed version

Comments:
What a dark ending!
Where is the robot voice from? :)
Is Yourik 2 a publicly readable project?)
qubodup
Global Moderator

Postby charlie » 01 Oct 2012, 19:08

If I were marooned in space, and Holly was to choose a single series for me to watch, he would probably determine that it should be Q's gameplay videos since I think I've watched more minutes of them than any other program!

:D
Free Gamer - it's the dogz
Vexi - web UI platform
charlie
Global Moderator

Postby semiletov » 01 Oct 2012, 21:12

qubodup {l Wrote}:FYI:
$ qmake
RCC: Warning: No resources in 'yourik.qrc'

It's ok :)

qubodup {l Wrote}:It helped to add -lSDL to LIBS in the Makefile. (ps: my system info: http://codepad.org/sXymaJFP )

Thanks, I'll fix it. Is seems that for some distros I need to polish the project file for qmake (makefile is generated by qmake utility).

qubodup {l Wrote}:What a dark ending!

There is an another one if you die at the battle with a damn big spaceship boss. Actually, there is a switch to another plot line - the Lunar base with zombies...

qubodup {l Wrote}:Where is the robot voice from? :)

Amiga voice synth :)

qubodup {l Wrote}:Is Yourik 2 a publicly readable project?)

The early code is here. I don't think it runs normally out of my machine (there is a possibility that not all data files are on git, but I'll sync it soon). Here is a demo of the current state of the Yourik2 engine (with mock-up graphics, it's not for the future game, just for a testing) with my Russian comments :)

youtu.be/Mrxo_SKh9Ew
semiletov

Postby qubodup » 02 Oct 2012, 13:24

I noticed some problems:
1. If you spawn the boss while standing on its starting position, you die. Solution can be to either push the player away (complicated, as requires to not collide with other enemies/bullets) or just indicate where the boss will spawn on the map (with a red square or so saying "danger area", this will make it the player's fault if they stand there)
2. I'm not sure if this is important for the "get on the shuttle" scene, but stars (health) can spawn behind the shuttle, so you can't get to them and the only chance to get more stars is if enemies remove them by spawning there.

I wasn't able to figure out how to change the storyline. I assume it has something to do with bosses... or perhaps you have to play pacifist?...

Love your Yourik 2 preview! :D
qubodup
Global Moderator

Postby semiletov » 03 Oct 2012, 17:35

qubodup {l Wrote}:I noticed some problems:
1. If you spawn the boss while standing on its starting position, you die. Solution can be to either push the player away (complicated, as requires to not collide with other enemies/bullets) or just indicate where the boss will spawn on the map (with a red square or so saying "danger area", this will make it the player's fault if they stand there)
2. I'm not sure if this is important for the "get on the shuttle" scene, but stars (health) can spawn behind the shuttle, so you can't get to them and the only chance to get more stars is if enemies remove them by spawning there.

Thanks, I'll fix it. Also I'll try to test Yourik with Arch Linux :)

qubodup {l Wrote}:I wasn't able to figure out how to change the storyline.

You just need to die at the level 4 :) The switch to Lunar base level will be activated.
semiletov

Postby qubodup » 04 Oct 2012, 22:19

semiletov {l Wrote}:You just need to die at the level 4 :) The switch to Lunar base level will be activated.

Ah, I see. What a weird alternative ending... ^^
qubodup
Global Moderator

Postby semiletov » 07 Oct 2012, 19:10

By the way, is sounds plays ok at Arch Linux? Now I'm testing Yourik at the Arch (in the Virtual Box), I have no sound so I don't know exactly is that VBox or Yourik issue :)
The new version is coming soon. I've rewrote some code, re-balance the game, and I'm intend to remix all music.
semiletov

Postby MCMic » 07 Oct 2012, 19:32

Wow… Looking at the screenshot and the video… is this a game for drunk people?
MCMic

Postby qubodup » 07 Oct 2012, 22:40

I have no sound so I don't know exactly is that VBox or Yourik issue :)

I have no problems with sound. What if you try to make sounds in another way in the vbox? (I wouldn't worry though)

The new version is coming soon. I've rewrote some code, re-balance the game, and I'm intend to remix all music.

You're enhancing Y1? Or working on Y2?
qubodup
Global Moderator

Postby semiletov » 08 Oct 2012, 10:44

qubodup {l Wrote}:I have no problems with sound.

Thanks! :)

qubodup {l Wrote}:You're enhancing Y1? Or working on Y2?

The current priority is Y1, and then I'll continue to work on Y2.
semiletov

Postby qubodup » 08 Oct 2012, 11:46

semiletov {l Wrote}:The current priority is Y1, and then I'll continue to work on Y2.

When I found out that you're working on Y2, I assumed that Y1 was done.

Would you like to hear feedback/suggestions for Y1 then? Do you want feedback or suggestions for:
  • Correct/understandable English language
  • Gameplay mechanics enhancements
  • Usability
  • Graphic enhancements
  • Sound enhancements
?
qubodup
Global Moderator

Postby semiletov » 08 Oct 2012, 15:34

qubodup {l Wrote}:When I found out that you're working on Y2, I assumed that Y1 was done.

There is always a possibility to improve some things. Y1 was is done in 2010, it was my first game, I have some new experience, so why not to release a new version?

qubodup {l Wrote}:Would you like to hear feedback/suggestions for Y1 then? Do you want feedback or suggestions for:
  • Correct/understandable English language
  • Gameplay mechanics enhancements
  • Usability
  • Graphic enhancements
  • Sound enhancements
?

All forms of the feedback are welcome :)
At this time, a "new" Y1 source code is ported to the upcoming Qt5 (with the Qt4 compatibility). Now I'm working on game re-balancing (because some game mechanics was changed) and music. The game screen resolution stays fixed at 800x600, because I'm too lazy to convert images (the in-game realtime scaling does not help in my case, I've tried).
semiletov

Postby qubodup » 11 Oct 2012, 12:31

I pulled the git version and made suggestions to some English texts (and there was a double-space in one Russian line). Is this http://ompldr.org/vZnU4aQ format OK? I used git diff > file.diff

It helped to know Russian (even if it's rusty :) ).
qubodup
Global Moderator

Postby semiletov » 12 Oct 2012, 11:13

qubodup {l Wrote}:I pulled the git version and made suggestions to some English texts (and there was a double-space in one Russian line). Is this http://ompldr.org/vZnU4aQ format OK? I used git diff > file.diff
It helped to know Russian (even if it's rusty :) ).

Thanks a lot! Can I put your name to the final titles? I.e. "Proper English translation: Iwan Gabovitch"?
semiletov

Postby qubodup » 12 Oct 2012, 15:01

semiletov {l Wrote}:Can I put your name to the final titles? I.e. "Proper English translation: Iwan Gabovitch"?

Sure, feel free to credit me in any way you want. I'd write "English translation editing: Iwan Gabovitch"
qubodup
Global Moderator

Postby semiletov » 13 Oct 2012, 11:11

qubodup {l Wrote}:
semiletov {l Wrote}:Can I put your name to the final titles? I.e. "Proper English translation: Iwan Gabovitch"?

Sure, feel free to credit me in any way you want. I'd write "English translation editing: Iwan Gabovitch"

Thank you!
I've updated git with the translations. Now I need some time to re-balance game (due to randomize-related changes) and remix music.
By the way, I've installed Arch Linux :) Y1 source build files seems compatible now.
semiletov