TirNanoG Open Source RPG engine

TirNanoG Open Source RPG engine

Postby bzt » 18 Oct 2021, 17:11

Hi,

For some time now, I've been working on a Free and Open Source game engine for my little boy. As such, it supposed to be usable without any programming skills. (Long story short, my ten years old boy one day come to me and said: "Dad, I'm bored with the games I have, I want to create my own!". He doesn't know how to program (yet), and he doesn't speak English (yet). So I've tried to find a proper engine for him, but these restrictions turned out to be very limiting, that's why I started this project. At first I wanted to use Flare RPG, but sadly it turned out to be extremely difficult to mod, lot more difficult than what my boy can cope with.)

Note this isn't finished yet, and expect bugs too (hopefully not too much). But this pre-beta version shows how it's going to be, and what I have in mind. I want it to be somewhat similar to RPG Maker, an easy to use windowed application but with a lot more features, and of course I want it to be Open Source (licensed under GPLv3) and working on Linux too. I've made lot of bad design decisions during this first iteration (most notably this version is very CPU bound, much more than it should be imho), so I've decided to refactor. Therefore this is the perfect time to ask other's opinion, nothing is set in stone so far.

The concept is, you can create game files with the editor, which then can be played using a separate player. End users are supposed to install the player once, and then they can just download the game files and play with as many games as they like (a bit like ScummVM, but here each game is a single file). Please keep in mind, there's only the editor available for now, I won't start the player part until I've finalized the editor. You should be able to use it with whatever assets you like, however I've designed it with primarily OpenGameArt's LPC assets and Flare RPG's fantasycore assets in mind (mostly because those are good looking and FOSS). Another VERY important design goal was to make the games translateable: anyone must be able to create and add a translation file so people don't have to rely on the game creator's mercy for internationalization.

Please take a look at it and let me know what you think (pre-built binaries are available for Windows and Linux). These are portable executables, no installation required, just extract under "C:\Program Files (x86)" (Win) or "/usr" (Linux). They create a directory "TirNanoG" in the user's home folder for the game projects, and touch no other files (so it is easy to completely remove from your computer).
If you prefer, you can compile it from source, everything is statically linked, no dependencies whatsoever. All you'll need is mingw+msys2 (on Win) and make+gcc (on Linux). In the src directory, run make, that will do the trick.

Here's the repo with the source and documentation:
https://codeberg.org/tirnanog/editor

And here are some screenshots to grab your interest:
The Sprite Importer

The Cutscene Editor

The Map Editor

Let me know what you think, or if you have an idea how to make it better! Please remember the editor is about 99% finished.

Cheers,
bzt

EDIT: fixed image links, because screenshots moved to the new webpage.
Last edited by bzt on 20 Jun 2022, 22:53, edited 2 times in total.
bzt

Re: TirNanoG Open Source RPG engine

Postby Lopy » 18 Oct 2021, 20:04

The licensing seems weird. You say that TirNanoG is under GPL3-or-later, but that games created with it are under CC-BY-NC-SA or some proprietary license. How are you restricting the license of games made with your engine?
It cannot be from the way you allow the use of the engine, since it it released under GPL. Nor can it be by adding CC-BY-NC-SA covered material in the savefile, since those would come from the engine files which are already distributed under the more permissive GPL.

I consider that the NC requirement is a bad idea that makes the engine non-free, but you probably made your mind about that already.
Lopy

Postby bzt » 19 Oct 2021, 06:14

Lopy {l Wrote}:The licensing seems weird.
No, it's not, not weirder than the copyright law itself. The program has one license, and the game container format has another.
Lopy {l Wrote}:You say that TirNanoG is under GPL3-or-later,
Yes.
Lopy {l Wrote}:but that games created with it are under CC-BY-NC-SA or some proprietary license.
The game format, which is a container file format, licensed like that, not the engine.
Lopy {l Wrote}:How are you restricting the license of games made with your engine? It cannot be from the way you allow the use of the engine, since it it released under GPL.
Wrong about that. The license of the program has nothing to do with the license of the output, read this. Likewise for the player application, its license has nothing to do with the license of the input.
Lopy {l Wrote}:Nor can it be by adding CC-BY-NC-SA covered material in the savefile, since those would come from the engine files
No, nothing comes from the "engine files" (whatever that supposed to mean). The editor stores no GPL licensed parts in the output; the distributed game files contain no GPL'd code; and the player application must be installed independently and separately to the game files.

Everything that goes into the game file comes from user input, and since the game file format is a container format, that means it is not a derivative of the assets included, rather it is a collective work of them, it cannot legally be otherwise.
Read the README more carefully: "if you choose CC-by-nc-sa, then you can distribute your game freely and for free, meaning you must use assets with licenses that allow that".
Lopy {l Wrote}:I consider that the NC requirement is a bad idea that makes the engine non-free
The engine isn't licensed under NC, and it does not make it non-free. As a matter of fact, that's what makes the file format TRULY free, like free as in free beer too. You want a different license for your game or do you want to use proprietary licensed assets? You can, that's why the game container format is dual licensed.
Lopy {l Wrote}:but you probably made your mind about that already.
Yes, licensing isn't up to debate, because that's carefully chosen to fulfill all copyright law requirements, to allow creating free games from free assets by default, but also allow non-free commercial games too under some circumstances. Simply put: if you want to make money with my intellectual property, you can, but you must ask my permission to do so first. Blame the copyright law for this restriction.

With all that said, I would be more interested in what you think about the game mechanics and what option you might lack from the editor.

Cheers,
bzt
bzt

Postby mdtrooper » 19 Oct 2021, 13:40

It seems awesome.

I was trying to compile but I have a problem with the versions of aclocal: https://gitlab.com/bztsrc/tirnanog-editor/-/issues/1
And I have a Patreon in https://www.patreon.com/migueldedios.
mdtrooper

Postby bzt » 19 Oct 2021, 14:11

mdtrooper {l Wrote}:It seems awesome.
Thanks! Be aware, it isn't finished yet!

mdtrooper {l Wrote}:I was trying to compile but I have a problem with the versions of aclocal: https://gitlab.com/bztsrc/tirnanog-editor/-/issues/1
Hah, you've run into a dependency hell for good! This is exactly why autoconf and cmake and all the other tools suck big time! You actually have everything for the compilation, "configure" returned no errors, except the tool that supposed to generate the Makefile is actually newer, and should be backward compatible, but it's not, god knows why... People should just learn how to write Makefiles, and the world would be a much better place imho!

Anyway, I've recommended some solutions in the issue, but basically you have to regenerate aclocal.m4 using autoconf. If everything else fails, get libmpg123, compile it separately into a static library, and copy the resulting archive to src/libmpg123/src/libmpg123/.libs/libmpg123.a. If the TirNanoG Editor's Makefile can find the archive there, it won't try to compile libmpg123 and will go on to the next step automatically (neither of the other libraries should have issues with the aclocal version, this is probably a bug in libmpg123's configuration).

Thank you for noticing and letting me know about this, I'll update the libmpg123 to a version that's generated with aclocal 1.16 or newer.

Cheers,
bzt
bzt

Postby bzt » 19 Oct 2021, 16:21

Update: I've checked, I was compiling the Linux version under Ubuntu LTS, which has exactly the same automake version (1:1.16.1-4ubuntu6) like your Mint distro, and running configure there does not complain about aclocal-1.12. Anyway, I've updated libmpg123 to the latest 1.29.1 (which uses a configure script generated with automake-1.16.1), so compilation should work now on your Mint too. As noted before, other libraries aren't affected.

Cheers,
bzt
bzt

Postby bzt » 23 Oct 2021, 15:16

Hi @mdtrooper,

Any news on configuring libtheora? I'm sorry, neither automake nor libtheora is my code, I can't fix / replace them, and I'm unable to reproduce your issue so I can't help you unless you tell me what's going on. With feedback I might be able to figure out a workaround for you.

Until then all I can say is:
1. in the libtheora subdirectory, delete "Makefile" and "config.status" files if they exists and
2. run "./configure" (with the flags I provided in the gitlab issue, do not add any other flags, especially do not add "--no-create").
After that "Makefile" and "config.status" should be re-created, and running "make" in the project's src directory should work.

Cheers,
bzt
bzt

Postby bzt » 30 Oct 2021, 12:00

Hi All,

I'd like to ask for a little help, I would like to know if anybody else has issues with compiling libtheora (which is included in the source tree).
I've tried with 3 different versions of automake and on 2 distros, yet I wasn't able to reproduce this "syntax error in configure" issue @mdtrooper is having. Maybe with more feedback I would be able to provide a workaround.

Cheers,
bzt
bzt

Postby dulsi » 30 Oct 2021, 14:13

I tried compiling it with system libraries. I'm not interested in building all the dependencies so it doesn't really help test the problem. It fails to compile. You are using some new functions in SDL2_mixer which are not in 2.0.4.
dulsi

Postby bzt » 30 Oct 2021, 17:40

I don't really understand the point of your post, could you please elaborate? You're saying you haven't tried it as it's intended to work, and (obviously) you've failed to compile it in a way which was never supposed to work. So, I don't get it. What's your point?

dulsi {l Wrote}:I'm not interested in building all the dependencies
It's not a matter of your interest. You have to use the libraries in the source tree, because not all platform provides the required shared libraries, and even if they do provide them, they often provide out-dated versions with incompatible API. Not to mention that the included libraries are heavily stripped down, configured with only the minimal feature set that TirNanoG actually needs and nothing else.

The resulting portable executable is ca. 7 Mbytes in size, no more (no installation required). This wouldn't be possible if it were depending on an armada of DLL / .so files.

dulsi {l Wrote}:It fails to compile.
Not surprising, it was never intended to work with system libraries, except for SDL. (For that, use "USE_DYNSDL=1 make all")
dulsi {l Wrote}:You are using some new functions in SDL2_mixer which are not in 2.0.4.
Ehm, yes, and? I wrote the code, so yeah, I'm well aware of that. What are you trying to say with this? I've already told you linking with system libraries won't work, instead use the source Luke! :-)

Cheers,
bzt
bzt

Postby dulsi » 30 Oct 2021, 18:29

bzt {l Wrote}:I don't really understand the point of your post, could you please elaborate? You're saying you haven't tried it as it's intended to work, and (obviously) you've failed to compile it in a way which was never supposed to work. So, I don't get it. What's your point?

I thought I was providing some feedback on someone attempting to use your program. I understand that it won't help in diagnosing mdtrooper's issue but I thought you might be interested in feedback using system libraries. You included instructions to use system libraries. If you don't want people to try that I would recommend not including in the documentation.

bzt {l Wrote}:It's not a matter of your interest. You have to use the libraries in the source tree, because not all platform provides the required shared libraries, and even if they do provide them, they often provide out-dated versions with incompatible API. Not to mention that the included libraries are heavily stripped down, configured with only the minimal feature set that TirNanoG actually needs and nothing else.

The resulting portable executable is ca. 7 Mbytes in size, no more (no installation required). This wouldn't be possible if it were depending on an armada of DLL / .so files.

That's not the case. Fedora is generally very good at including up to date libraries. A 7 Mbytes executable is great for someone looking for minimum disk usage but I already have the libraries. Having it use up to date common libraries is more valuable to me.
dulsi

Postby bzt » 30 Oct 2021, 19:09

dulsi {l Wrote}:You included instructions to use system libraries. If you don't want people to try that I would recommend not including in the documentation.
Maybe in the future when distros will be up to the task. Won't work for now, sorry that I haven't made that more obvious in the doc.
dulsi {l Wrote}:That's not the case. Fedora is generally very good at including up to date libraries.
You said it yourself that you don't have the latest version as a system library. It won't work if your system libraries provide incompatible API (which is sadly the case with SDL_mixer) :-(
dulsi {l Wrote}:A 7 Mbytes executable is great for someone looking for minimum disk usage but I already have the libraries. Having it use up to date common libraries is more valuable to me.
That's the thing, you don't have up-to-date system libraries. (Just for the records, I use a rolling-release distro and it doesn't have it either.) Besides, that 7 Mbytes already includes ALL the required libraries (except libc).

Cheers,
bzt
bzt

Postby farrer » 30 Oct 2021, 19:17

bzt {l Wrote}:Hi All,

I'd like to ask for a little help, I would like to know if anybody else has issues with compiling libtheora (which is included in the source tree).
I've tried with 3 different versions of automake and on 2 distros, yet I wasn't able to reproduce this "syntax error in configure" issue @mdtrooper is having. Maybe with more feedback I would be able to provide a workaround.

Cheers,
bzt

Tried it here, but also failed to compile (not sure, but seems a different error than the one reported by mdtrooper, but also related to libtheora compilation edit: seems the same):

{l Code}: {l Select All Code}
(...)
libtool: link: ar cru build/.libs/libSDL2_mixer.a  build/load_aiff.o build/load_voc.o build/mp3utils.o build/music_cmd.o build/music_flac.o build/music_fluidsynth.o build/music_mad.o build/music_mikmod.o build/music_modplug.o build/music_mpg123.o build/music_nativemidi.o build/music_ogg.o build/music_opus.o build/music_timidity.o build/music_wav.o build/music_xmp.o build/effect_position.o build/effect_stereoreverse.o build/effects_internal.o build/mixer.o build/music.o build/utils.o
libtool: link: ranlib build/.libs/libSDL2_mixer.a
libtool: link: ( cd "build/.libs" && rm -f "libSDL2_mixer.la" && ln -s "../libSDL2_mixer.la" "libSDL2_mixer.la" )
checking build system type... x86_64-pc-linux-gnu
checking host system type... x86_64-pc-linux-gnu
checking for a BSD-compatible install... /usr/bin/install -c
checking whether build environment is sane... yes
checking for a race-free mkdir -p... /bin/mkdir -p
checking for gawk... gawk
checking whether make sets $(MAKE)... yes
checking whether make supports nested variables... yes
checking whether to enable maintainer-specific portions of Makefiles... yes
checking whether make supports nested variables... (cached) yes
checking whether make supports the include directive... yes (GNU style)
checking for gcc... gcc
checking whether the C compiler works... yes
checking for C compiler default output file name... a.out
checking for suffix of executables...
checking whether we are cross compiling... no
checking for suffix of object files... o
checking whether the compiler supports GNU C... yes
checking whether gcc accepts -g... yes
checking for gcc option to enable C11 features... none needed
checking whether gcc understands -c and -o together... yes
checking dependency style of gcc... gcc3
checking dependency style of gcc... gcc3
checking for gcc... (cached) gcc
checking whether the compiler supports GNU C... (cached) yes
checking whether gcc accepts -g... (cached) yes
checking for gcc option to enable C11 features... (cached) none needed
checking whether gcc understands -c and -o together... (cached) yes
checking dependency style of gcc... (cached) gcc3
checking how to run the C preprocessor... gcc -E
checking how to print strings... printf
checking for a sed that does not truncate output... /bin/sed
checking for grep that handles long lines and -e... /bin/grep
checking for egrep... /bin/grep -E
checking for fgrep... /bin/grep -F
checking for ld used by gcc... /usr/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/bin/ld
checking if the linker (/usr/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/bin/ld) is GNU ld... yes
checking for BSD- or MS-compatible name lister (nm)... /usr/bin/nm -B
checking the name lister (/usr/bin/nm -B) interface... BSD nm
checking whether ln -s works... yes
checking the maximum length of command line arguments... 1572864
checking how to convert x86_64-pc-linux-gnu file names to x86_64-pc-linux-gnu format... func_convert_file_noop
checking how to convert x86_64-pc-linux-gnu file names to toolchain format... func_convert_file_noop
checking for /usr/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/bin/ld option to reload object files... -r
checking for objdump... objdump
checking how to recognize dependent libraries... pass_all
checking for dlltool... dlltool
checking how to associate runtime and link libraries... printf %s\n
checking for ar... ar
checking for archiver @FILE support... @
checking for strip... strip
checking for ranlib... ranlib
checking command to parse /usr/bin/nm -B output from gcc object... ok
checking for sysroot... no
checking for a working dd... /bin/dd
checking how to truncate binary pipes... /bin/dd bs=4096 count=1
checking for mt... no
checking if : is a manifest tool... no
checking for stdio.h... yes
checking for stdlib.h... yes
checking for string.h... yes
checking for inttypes.h... yes
checking for stdint.h... yes
checking for strings.h... yes
checking for sys/stat.h... yes
checking for sys/types.h... yes
checking for unistd.h... yes
checking for dlfcn.h... yes
checking for objdir... .libs
checking if gcc supports -fno-rtti -fno-exceptions... no
checking for gcc option to produce PIC... -fPIC -DPIC
checking if gcc PIC flag -fPIC -DPIC works... yes
checking if gcc static flag -static works... yes
checking if gcc supports -c -o file.o... yes
checking if gcc supports -c -o file.o... (cached) yes
checking whether the gcc linker (/usr/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/bin/ld -m elf_x86_64) supports shared libraries... yes
checking dynamic linker characteristics... GNU/Linux ld.so
checking how to hardcode library paths into programs... immediate
checking whether stripping libraries is possible... yes
checking if libtool supports shared libraries... yes
checking whether to build shared libraries... no
checking whether to build static libraries... yes
configure: WARNING: *** doxygen not found, API documentation will not be built
configure: WARNING: *** Format Specification will not built.
checking for ld used by gcc... (cached) /usr/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/bin/ld
checking if the linker (/usr/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/bin/ld) is GNU ld... (cached) yes
checking how to control symbol export... --version-script
checking for pkg-config... yes
checking for pkg-config... /usr/bin/pkg-config
checking pkg-config is at least version 0.9.0... yes
checking for OGG... yes
checking for VORBIS... yes
checking for SDL... yes
checking for sys/soundcard.h... yes
checking for PNG... yes
checking for TIFFReadRGBAImage in -ltiff... yes
checking for tiffio.h... yes
./configure: line 16318: syntax error near unexpected token `else'
./configure: line 16318: `    else'
make: *** [Makefile:163: libtheora/lib/.libs/libtheora.a] Erro 2

Tried on a Gentoo, with gcc 10.3.0, automake 1.16.3, autoconf 2.69.
farrer

Postby bzt » 30 Oct 2021, 19:52

@dulsi: to sum it up
make all
should comile everything statically from the source tree

USE_DYNLIBS=1 make all
this supposed to compile everything dynamically, but this doesn't work as of now because distros do not ship the latest SDL_mixer (which changes the API), and there's an issue with libmpg123 API change as well.

USE_DYNSDL=1 make all
this one wasn't planned, I've only added it as a workaround for the former problem: dynamically link SDL, and statically everything else. This should work on current distros.

farrer {l Wrote}:Tried it here, but also failed to compile (not sure, but seems a different error than the one reported by mdtrooper, but also related to libtheora compilation):
Nope, it's the same "syntax error in configure script" problem after the TIFF check. Frankly I have no idea what to do with it. BTW I've uploaded a version of configure in which I've commented out the libtiff check entirely (there's no "--disable-tiff" option arghhh.) You seem to use an older version, or you have regenerated the configure script?

On my system libtiff isn't installed (and I have no syntax error), and it seems that both of you have it (and both of you have syntax error). Anyone have any idea how to fix a generated script?

Cheers,
bzt
bzt

Postby dulsi » 30 Oct 2021, 21:07

bzt {l Wrote}:That's the thing, you don't have up-to-date system libraries. (Just for the records, I use a rolling-release distro and it doesn't have it either.)

That's because you are not using a released version. You are using a snapshot of latest development branch. I don't know if any distro uses the latest snapshots from git repos. I doubt anyone would.
dulsi

Postby bzt » 30 Oct 2021, 21:53

dulsi {l Wrote}:That's because you are not using a released version. You are using a snapshot of latest development branch.
Yeah, deliberately, because only the latest version provides the API I need. (Which is the GetDuration call that returns the length of samples. I have no idea why this hasn't been implemented sooner, seems pretty basic.)
dulsi {l Wrote}:I don't know if any distro uses the latest snapshots from git repos. I doubt anyone would.
Don't you worry, sooner or later the development version becomes the release version.

Cheers,
bzt
bzt

Postby bzt » 08 Nov 2021, 16:18

"Good news, everyone!" (TM) :-)

I've commented out all the unnecessary and buggy dependency checks in configure, so it is guaranteed to be working now. (Those dependencies are only needed by the example utilities, which we're NOT going to compile anyway, all we need is libtheoradec.a).
I believe I've also found and fixed the root cause of the problem in configure.ac too, so running autogen.sh should now generate a syntax error-free script, but I've uploaded the modified configure script to the repo just in case.

Please check it if this patch is working for you!

Thanks,
bzt

ps: little rant: I've included a well-known and well-tested video decoder library so that I won't have to care or debug, and yet, here we are, me fixing someone else's code...
bzt

Postby bzt » 31 Dec 2021, 21:05

Hi,

This year's great goal achieved!!! (Last minute, granted, but still, midnight hasn't passed where I live yet) I've completely rewritten the TirNanoG Editor from scratch, fixing all the known issues (and probably introducing some new :-))

New features:

- First of all, shiny new webpage, with game template examples (early stage, but you'll see how it will work). The download of a portable executable is available for Linux and Windows as well.

- Started by writing an UIKit (kinda). The new code is much smaller, cleaner and easier to maintain. Also UI got a bit rethinking, simplified a lot, and got much more standardized and consistent (delete buttons always on the bottom left, new buttons always on the bottom right etc.)

- It now compiles with system provided shared libraries. For that I've re-implemented myself all the functions in questions (most notably the get duration for ogg streams). Everything works for now with both linkage, however there'll be no progress bar with dynamically linked SDL_mixer when importing audio files (for that, I really do need GetDuration).

- A lot of previously missing features have been completed: cutscenes now can mix video and audio in multiple ways, and on top of that you can puppet with your configured NPCs and maps (similar like in RPG Maker, but hopefully a lot easier to use.)

- I've added everything that was missing to configure the game logic: startup commands, configurable NPC spawners, etc.

- I've thrown out my own map format, and decided to use TMX. This means you can open and edit maps in both TirNanoG Editor and Tiled! The configuration is naturally limited, because TirNanoG has a certain logic and layout while Tiled allows anything in the maps, but otherwise the support is full: all encodings and compression works (xml, csv, base64, gzip, zip, zstd). Without better place, NPC patrol paths are stored as polygons, but this way they are editable under Tiled as well.

I dunno, lot of testing and polishing has been done, but it is still rough around the edges, so I definitely need some volunteer testers!

And before I forgot, HAPPY NEW YEAR to you all!
bzt
bzt

Postby mdtrooper » 05 Jan 2022, 00:44

Ohh, the current Makefile is awesome. It is very easy to build. I think it was a big work to change.

Thanks.
And I have a Patreon in https://www.patreon.com/migueldedios.
mdtrooper

Postby bzt » 20 Jan 2022, 17:22

mdtrooper {l Wrote}:Ohh, the current Makefile is awesome. It is very easy to build. I think it was a big work to change.
Thanks! I did actually listen to the complaints and I've tried to address them all!

Good news, the TirNanoG Editor is now feature complete. It took longer than I've wanted, because I couldn't find a decent documentation generator, so I had to write one...

Lots of new features!
  • it can import videos in any format (.ogv always supported, others if you have ffmpeg installed)
  • it can import 3D models into sprite sheets (.m3d, .obj always, others if you have assimp installed) I've incorporated TinyGL for that, so no GL dependency!
  • undo / redo history in Map Editor
  • full GIMP shortcut support in Map Editor (Shift + selection, Ctrl + selection, Ctrl + I etc. all works as in GIMP)
  • built-in, context-aware Help button which opens the TirNanoG User's Manual.

Now with all the planned features and the manual in place, the BUGHUNT SEASON is officially open! :-)

If you want to encourage me in my efforts, please add a star to the git repo! Providing feedback is also welcome! If you're a non-English speaker, then I would appreciate if you could take a look at the homepage's translation which is I'm sure, terrible (just one page with a few sentences, shouldn't take longer than a couple of minutes).

Cheers,
bzt
bzt

Postby PeterX » 20 Jan 2022, 20:12

Hello as a German I can say something about the German translation:
The German translation is generally very good. One can see that you (or whoever wrote it) is quite fluent in German.
But it is "Deutsch" not "Deutch".
It should be "Action-Rollenspiele".

I couldn't find any other mistake.
PeterX

Postby bzt » 21 Jan 2022, 05:16

PeterX {l Wrote}:Hello as a German I can say something about the German translation:
The German translation is generally very good. One can see that you (or whoever wrote it) is quite fluent in German.
Vielen Dank! But I don't consider myself fluent, I had to rely on GT more than I'd like to admit. I remember most of the grammar, but my vocabulary is pretty poor, haven't practiced German for years so I have forgotten the words.
PeterX {l Wrote}:But it is "Deutsch" not "Deutch".
Oooops, that's a typo, how could I missed that? Fixed right away!
PeterX {l Wrote}:It should be "Action-Rollenspiele".
Good to know, fixed!

Danke Schön Peter,
bzt
bzt

Postby farrer » 25 Jan 2022, 17:56

Great work so far!

A quick contribution: Portuguese translation of the editor's web page.

Bem-vindo a TIRNANOG!

TirNanoG Editor é desenvolvido para criar jogos RPG de Aventura e Ação sem a necessidade de conhecimentos de programação.

Download (Linux)     Visualizar o Código-Fonte

O link de download direciona ao binário de seu SO. Para jogar os jogos criados com este editor, você precisará do TirNanoG Player.

Esta aplicação é de código aberto e livre! Licenciada baixo GPLv3+.
O formato de arquivo de TirNanoG é licenciado de maneira dupla, ou CC-BY-NC-SA ou, sob permissão, qualquer outra licença, mesmo proprietária.

Templates
Você não precisa recomeçar tudo a cada novo projeto, o editor pode utilizar templates de jogos!

Multilíngue
Tanto o editor como os jogos criados possuem suporte completo a UNICODE e incluem ferramentas de tradução.

Cenas de Transição
TirNanoG possui um editor completo de cenas de transição, com opções de exibição de slides e subtítulos.

Mapas
Mundo aberto, com bilhões de mapas associáveis em 6 direções. Cmpatível com o editor de mapas Tiled!

Instalação
1. baixe um dos arquivos tnge-*.zip (~4Mb) para seu computador do repositório.
2. extraia para: C:\Arquivos de Programas (Windows), /usr (Linux), /Applications (MacOS)
3. Divirta-se!

Templates de Jogos
Salve os templates baixados para ~/TirNanoG. Não descompacte, somente salve. Você poderá selecioná-lo no editor quando criar um novo projeto.

Liberated Pixel Cup
Ortográfico, contém muitos - mas muitos mesmo - elementos para mapas e personagens modulares em quatro direções.

FantasyCore
Isométrico, com alguns elementos de mapa e somente um herói e uma heroína como personagens, mas em oito direções.

Templates de Módulo
Estes templates expandem seu projeto, para serem utilizados na função de "Importar template".

Documentação
* Manual do Usuário
* Estrutura detalhada do projeto e descrição dos arquivos
* Especificação do formato de arquivos do TirNanoG

Capturas de Tela
Tela "Acerca"
Fontes bitmap, pixmap e vetoriais
Importador de sprites
Editor de cenas de transição
Controladores de atributos e eventos
O editor de mapas
farrer

Postby bzt » 26 Jan 2022, 16:53

Thank you very much @farrer! I have a few questions though (really just a few, not much):

1. for the language selector, how to write Portuguese in Portuguese? Is it "Português"? (for some languages, this question isn't as trivial as one might think...)

2. please translate the menu too. Basically the same as the headings, but it must have short versions, preferably one word. For example "Capturas de Tela" is definitely too long for the menu. Also "Home" and "Issues" have no heading and they are impossible to translate with Google Translate, those need a native speaker for sure ("Home" as in go the main page, and "Issues" as in go to the bug tracker; again, both needs a short, preferably one word translation).

3. please translate this sentence as well: "The translation is not ready yet. Redirecting to the manual in English" (this is shown when someone clicks on the "Manual do Usuário" link, because the Portuguese translation for the manual isn't ready yet).

I believe that would be all, and then I can add Portuguese!

Thanks!
bzt
bzt

Postby bzt » 26 Jan 2022, 17:00

That made me thinking, the Spanish versions of "Home" ("Pagina principal") and "Issues" ("Informe de problema") are too long too (they break the line as you play with the page's responsiveness). Cloud any Spanish speaker help to shorten that two? That would be great!

And same for French, "Page d'accueil", "Captures d'écran" as well as "Rapport de problème" break the line because they are too long for the menu...

Thanks,
bzt

(ps: I did not specify when to switch the page's width and when to hide the menu behind the hamburger icon, those are provided by bootstrap, and I really don't want to change those. But I will probably use a smaller font for the menu.)
bzt