Wanderer - Console RPG

Wanderer - Console RPG

Postby tznind@dundee.ac.uk » 15 Feb 2020, 16:17

Game: https://github.com/tznind/StarshipWanderer

Engine: https://github.com/tznind/Wanderer#wanderer

The goal of this project is to develop a game engine where as much content as possible comes from human readable (yaml) configuration files. For complicated steps (e.g. conditions / effects) you can add Lua statements directly into the yaml (or call out to methods declared in a .lua file).

The gameplay goals of the engine are:

1. Any action the Player can do Non Player Characters (Npc) can do

2. Persuasion and Cunning should be as viable as Fighting

3. No dice rolls for actions (if you have Fight 10 and you fight someone with Fight 15 the outcome should always be the same)

4. Actions should have consequences (for relationships, long term injuries etc).

Creating content:

The code is on GitHub under the MIT license (happy to dual license any other FOSS licenses if that is something that people would want). There are currently no sound/graphics assets (and no plans to add any - it's a console game after all).

Mention what developers or contributors are wanted?

At this stage I could mostly use advice and an idea of whether this is something people think would be cool / worth playing. Once the API is more stable I would like to get contributions of narrative content (cool rooms, npcs, items etc).

I've written a guide on how to write levels/worlds (using only the yaml files):
https://github.com/tznind/Wanderer/blob ... sources.md
Last edited by tznind@dundee.ac.uk on 26 Apr 2020, 18:44, edited 3 times in total.
tznind@dundee.ac.uk

Re: Wanderer - Console RPG

Postby Lyberta » 16 Feb 2020, 22:17

Deleted.
Last edited by Lyberta on 01 Oct 2021, 06:51, edited 1 time in total.
Lyberta

Postby tznind@dundee.ac.uk » 16 Feb 2020, 23:11

Yes, its written in DotNetCore 3.1 so it runs natively in Windows and Linux. I think mono is only needed for the older Dot Net Framework?

I'm using a great library (https://github.com/migueldeicaza/gui.cs) for the console Gui (which is also multi platform) and trying to keep as much of the content to the yaml files if I can to make it easier to create levels/content.

I'm also trying to keep the UI API layer as simple as possible so in future it could have more advanced or web/mobile UI implementations (but no plans to tackle that myself).
tznind@dundee.ac.uk

Postby domtron » 06 Mar 2020, 17:24

Very cool looking.

I did not play, but looks very roguelike. is that the case?

Look at Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead (also an ASCII game/roguelike) for some inspiration on features.

Some quick thoughts
* NPC interactions look cool. From the screenshot looks like you can persuade with force to steal things and everyone aligned with that person get mad at you.
* Be interesting if you could get NPCs to follow you if relationship is high enough and goal align (has the adventurous trait as opposed to shopkeeper or whatever)
* Crafting is always nice if this is that kind of game.
* I love that it has a decoupled UI from the core game.
* I like the in config scripting though that can be annoying if your text editor doesn't do the right syntax highlighting.
* Maybe add the ability to say "Load file x as script" to allow people to make the scripts in another file? might be nice to at least have the option to move larger scripts to it's own file separate from the config file.

I'll look at it more later. Not sure if I'll go to the trouble to get C# setup just to compile it, but I see a release binary for 0.0.6 so I'll try that if I can get around to it.
domtron

Postby tznind@dundee.ac.uk » 09 Mar 2020, 20:07

domtron {l Wrote}:Very cool looking.

Thanks for the interest and the feedback. Yeah, I'm hoping to create something between a Choose Your Own Adventure and a classic roguelike.

domtron {l Wrote}:Look at Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead (also an ASCII game/roguelike) for some inspiration on features.

That looks very cool, I am replaying Planescape Torment for some inspiration at the moment but will also take a look at this.

domtron {l Wrote}:Some quick thoughts
* NPC interactions look cool. From the screenshot looks like you can persuade with force to steal things and everyone aligned with that person get mad at you.
* Be interesting if you could get NPCs to follow you if relationship is high enough and goal align (has the adventurous trait as opposed to shopkeeper or whatever)

This was my thoughts exactly! I have added the Leadership action where you can adjust the priorities of friendly NPCs which includes plans like 'Follow X' (and you can persuade them to value fighting enemies more than eating when hungry, that kind of thing). But theres still a long way to go, it's still not very smooth or playable!

domtron {l Wrote}:* Crafting is always nice if this is that kind of game.
* I love that it has a decoupled UI from the core game.
* I like the in config scripting though that can be annoying if your text editor doesn't do the right syntax highlighting.
* Maybe add the ability to say "Load file x as script" to allow people to make the scripts in another file? might be nice to at least have the option to move larger scripts to it's own file separate from the config file.

I'll look at it more later. Not sure if I'll go to the trouble to get C# setup just to compile it, but I see a release binary for 0.0.6 so I'll try that if I can get around to it.

I've switched from pure C# scripting to lua (no need for casting, lower bar to entry and faster). So far the scripting engine will always load Main.lua where you can define custom global methods / helper stuff for complex blocks of code (https://github.com/tznind/Wanderer/blob ... s/Main.lua) but I need to do more here too.

I've also been working on pulling as much as possible out into yaml (like the injury systems - https://github.com/tznind/Wanderer/tree ... urySystems). I want to lower the barrier for creating narrative content as much as possible.

I'm hoping to use the 'dialogue system' to do richer things like exploring rooms more deeply, scavenging etc and crafting would definetly be a logical progression from there.
tznind@dundee.ac.uk

Postby Taknamay » 21 Mar 2020, 00:33

I just want to say, I find this project really cool. I will give it a try and let you know what I think, but from the description it sounds ambitious in the right ways.
Check out the #freegaming tag on fediverse.
Taknamay

Postby tznind@dundee.ac.uk » 23 Mar 2020, 18:08

Taknamay {l Wrote}:I just want to say, I find this project really cool. I will give it a try and let you know what I think, but from the description it sounds ambitious in the right ways.

Thanks, that's very motivating for me! Its early on in development but please don't hesitate to feedback any confusing bits, bugs etc. I want to lower the technical bar for collaboration/playing wherever possible.
tznind@dundee.ac.uk

Postby tznind@dundee.ac.uk » 05 Apr 2020, 13:41

I've created a concept image for the game to illustrate the theme I am going for. I've added it to open game art too (https://opengameart.org/users/tznind) as no public domain incase anyone else wants to use it.

I've also been working on the CookBook of config file recipies (https://github.com/tznind/Wanderer/blob ... ookbook.md)
tznind@dundee.ac.uk

Postby tznind@dundee.ac.uk » 25 Apr 2020, 14:13

Dayano {l Wrote}:
domtron {l Wrote}:Very cool looking.

Look at Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead (also an ASCII game/roguelike) for some inspiration on features.

Some quick thoughts

My thoughts exactly. I absolutely love Cataclysm, it's a really unique and interesting game, nice and dark which I always like. I hope you do check out the Relief Factor ingredients for some cool feature ideas.

I have installed Cataclysm and been playing it a bit. Very slick user interface and definitely looks like it has a ton of depth. Thanks for pointing it out, there's a lot for me to learn from. Did you paste in the wrong url ? your link seems to go to some health supplement page?!
tznind@dundee.ac.uk

Postby trevor » 14 May 2021, 17:04

Pics are really cool-looking. But the project is bloatware! Pls rewrite in pure c without "big tech", using only ncurses library for VT100 compatible terminal. ^___^
I'm sorry. My English is very bad.
trevor

Postby PeterX » 14 May 2021, 17:57

trevor {l Wrote}:Pics are really cool-looking. But the project is bloatware! Pls rewrite in pure c without "big tech", using only ncurses library for VT100 compatible terminal. ^___^

I am not a fan of bloat but I think that comment is a little respectless. If he/she wants to code in C# on .NET, then that's perfectly ok.

Greetings
Peter
PeterX

Postby Ntech » 15 May 2021, 01:12

I would love to see some multiplayer functionality added, somewhat like a MUD. IMO this would be a great approach to MUDs.
Deo gratias, Ave Maria
Ntech