Tips, suggestion to a new foss game developer -

Tips, suggestion to a new foss game developer -

Postby shirish » 14 Nov 2018, 18:59

What sort of tips or concerns most developers would wish that new foss developers would know so that they can avoid pain later on. While I'm no developer but as a playtester I have observed some things which probably most foss developers might benefit from . For instance -

a. Instead of just developing a game from scratch, it might be a good idea to add to some game which is vaguely in a similar vein so as to perceive design defects as well as to understand why a developer went x way or y way

b. Get unexperienced people to play your game, maybe an uncle or an aunt or a niece or nephew and observe their reactions.

c. Most newbie foss developers I *think* don't realize how much time is spent on developing, debugging the game.

d. Most important thing is documentation. If you do not have player-facing documentation, for e.g. how to compile a game you are not going to get players who would commit time and energy to playtest a game.

e. Be responsive to a player's concerns and try to respond them within reasonable time-frames.

f. From what I have discussed with most foss game developers, there is a huge time sink when conceptualizing the game

g. There is lot of time spent between conceptualizing, having code that compiles and having a game running.

While I think this probably is a drop in a bucket, only the developers can share what they think of the above and how much more they would want to add if they thought of the topic. Any blog posts if people have shared on same/similar topics would be nice to have.
shirish