Why you shouldn't use Steam

Re: Why you shouldn't use Steam

Postby Wuzzy » 18 Jun 2017, 19:22

Well, you certainly don't need to convince me that Steam sucks. I never used Steam voluntarily, even back in my Windows days. :D

Even when I was a full-blown Windows user, I hated Steam from day 1. I will always see it as the software you are forced to install in order to play a particular game. Windows alone managed my games and any other software just fine, I didn't need stinky Steam, thank you very much (not). Yet I had it installed.

One of the most common cracks for proprietary games on Steam is the so-called “no-Steam” version which is runnable without Steam. Needless to say, they were very popular (and probably still are). It seems I'm not the only one who's pissed off with this forced and utterly pointless Steam bundling.

I can't wrap my head around the idea that anyone would voluntarily install Steam. It just seems crazy.

EDIT: OMG, I just re-read your article. It was many years ago since I last touched Steam. Things only got worse.
Wuzzy

Postby Lyberta » 19 Jun 2017, 04:25

Deleted.
Last edited by Lyberta on 01 Oct 2021, 06:22, edited 1 time in total.
Lyberta

Postby Julius » 19 Jun 2017, 12:55

That's quite easy to do with xmpp. FTEQW for example includes it via a plugin.
Julius
Community Moderator

Postby Lyberta » 20 Jun 2017, 03:07

Deleted.
Last edited by Lyberta on 01 Oct 2021, 06:22, edited 1 time in total.
Lyberta

Postby copperunite » 17 Sep 2017, 23:14

Your article is well written and very interesting, even if I disagree with it.
The only question I'm asking myself so far is: What are the replacements for Steam?
It's not a bad distribution platform for the common Joe, and it's very convenient.

Out of this negative article should come out a positive project. I'm not a good software developer, but I think there's room to think about a FLOSS distribution platform, in a decentralized/acentralized form, with accounts, buddy list, chat, and a store.
What do you think about that?
copperunite

Postby Wuzzy » 05 Nov 2017, 23:31

Well, our “FOSS distribution platforms” at this moment are basically software package managers. lol
Just put more FOSS video games on the OFFICIAL repos. I think many GNU/Linux repos are lacking readily-packaged video games. You still have to compile a lot of stuff by hand, and this sucks a lot!

Then maybe just search the web for random online software databases. Itch.io or IndieDB come to mind. I'm sure there are many others.
Seriously, it seems almost no FOSS games are on itch.io. Why? Seems like a missed opportunity …

I think the most obvious thing to do when you have a release-worthy software is to put it on as many software databases as possible. Make it clear to the world that you exist.

Hey, maybe we could make a list of game databases to post your game on. Like so:

- itch.io
- IndieDB
- …
Wuzzy

Postby Duion » 06 Nov 2017, 00:38

I release or promote my game on several platforms at once also some kind of packet manager thing and compared to the promotion and users Steam gives me this is all basically nothing.
Putting your game in the package managers will hardly do anything, there is no alternative to the big commercial platforms, only if you want to lose 99% of your customer base.
Duion

Postby Julius » 06 Nov 2017, 13:32

Yeah, Steam is the Behemoth, and even many open source game players find it convenient (guilty as charged here).

I agree that itch.io is a good place also and probably a missed opportunity as it makes it very easy to have you own little game page, easily collect donations ("pay what you want") and also deliver (delta) updates easily through the cross-platform & open-source client.

Other than that... for a more or less finished single player game (of which there are hardly any as far as FOSS games are concerned) the Linux repositories and the "as many software databases as possible" advise makes sense.
But for most often updated and multi-player focussed FOSS games, it is better to have a few always up-to-date sources and at best an auto-updater. You can of course build that into your game, but maintaining this is a lot of effort especially when there are nicer 3rd party clients that do it just fine (see above).
Also some Linux repositories don't like software that auto-updates through other channels than the repository itself, which there a good reasons for, but makes it better not to put your multiplayer focused FOSS game is those slow updating repositories.
Julius
Community Moderator

Postby domtron » 06 Nov 2017, 17:17

copperunite {l Wrote}:The only question I'm asking myself so far is: What are the replacements for Steam?

Wuzzy {l Wrote}:Well, our “FOSS distribution platforms” at this moment are basically software package managers. lol

Have you heard of Lutris? It's intended as a game launcher, but is also a decent "distribution" platform for free games with installer scripts and search functionality. Has online syncing with the website you can enable to keep your library updated across multiple computers. You can even pull games from your Steam library if your one of those people that use it. (you know, those people that are the same as me :3 )
domtron

Postby Armatys » 29 Nov 2017, 01:29

I do not use Windows, I do not use messenger, sometimes I use FB. But I think you are exaggerating and there is nothing wrong with using Steam, if you do it wisely.
Armatys