How is far colony foss ?

How is far colony foss ?

Postby shirish » 02 Jan 2017, 08:26

Hi all,

I was looking at FAR colony closely, couldn't file any compilation instructions, hence asked the developer and he replied -

https://github.com/farcodev/farcolony/i ... -908757986

FARC use a non-free third party component suite (TMS), so the code is provided as is w/o compilation directives.
It is more for knowledge purpose that the source code is available, I don't provide support for compilation sorry.

FYI it uses the following free components; GLScene (an old version of it), FastMM, BASS, GR32, GTTimerDemo, Imaging, oxLibs3DS, and two bits of code components found on the dead Borland Community forums.

In view of above, shouldn't far colony and its blog hosting from p.f.n taken down from freegamedev.net as it muddles the waters.

Talking to the developer in-question is a possibility but that means he may have to rewrite some, most , all of the code which s/he may not be comfortable with.

I would suggest explaining what we strive to do here at freegamedev.net and then gently remove the game from p.f.n. as well as the thread in showcase .
shirish

Re: How is far colony foss ?

Postby Lyberta » 02 Jan 2017, 09:18

Deleted.
Last edited by Lyberta on 01 Oct 2021, 06:35, edited 1 time in total.
Lyberta

Postby Akien » 03 Jan 2017, 12:58

Good point, it should probably be removed from the Planet if it's not fully FOSS.
Godot Engine project manager and maintainer.
Occasional FOSS gamedev: Lugaru, OpenDungeons, Jetpaca, Minilens.
Akien

Postby shirish » 04 Jan 2017, 16:42

It's still being shown on the planet. I was interested in it but now that I know it's not FLOSS it is just mis-informing people. The developer could use other places and channels to do their stuff. Unless it doesn't follow the 4 freedoms of free software, it has no business being on the planet.

Who's the admin, please remove the offending program from the list. We could actually have more participation from some of the games that fossgames.blogspot.com shares.
shirish

Postby Akien » 04 Jan 2017, 18:19

shirish {l Wrote}:It's still being shown on the planet. I was interested in it but now that I know it's not FLOSS it is just mis-informing people. The developer could use other places and channels to do their stuff. Unless it doesn't follow the 4 freedoms of free software, it has no business being on the planet.

Who's the admin, please remove the offending program from the list. We could actually have more participation from some of the games that fossgames.blogspot.com shares.

PR welcome: https://github.com/FreeGameDev/planet-config
Godot Engine project manager and maintainer.
Occasional FOSS gamedev: Lugaru, OpenDungeons, Jetpaca, Minilens.
Akien

Postby shirish » 08 Jan 2017, 02:56

sorry for the delay, done https://github.com/FreeGameDev/planet-config/pull/2

When will this result FAR being pulled off the planet, I saw that it was just merged.

https://github.com/FreeGameDev/planet-c ... 4be6503d00
shirish

Postby farcodev » 03 Mar 2017, 23:23

You can delete my forum account too, "thanks".
farcodev

Postby charlie » 03 Mar 2017, 23:31

I don't feel this is the right approach. Expunging people does not foster a community, it inhibits it. We need to help encourage those who have proprietary dependencies to replaces them with open source ones if possible, help them constructively. Sticking our noses up helps nobody.
Free Gamer - it's the dogz
Vexi - web UI platform
charlie
Global Moderator

Postby shirish » 09 Mar 2017, 16:35

charlie {l Wrote}:I don't feel this is the right approach. Expunging people does not foster a community, it inhibits it. We need to help encourage those who have proprietary dependencies to replaces them with open source ones if possible, help them constructively. Sticking our noses up helps nobody.

Charlie, I privately mailed and asked him if he needed or wanted to make the game foss but didn't hear anything from that on that front. He was proud of the fact that it's proprietary and wanted to keep it that way only with no sign of releasing the sources or doing anything of that sort in the near to medium future. It's only after that I came here and shared what I shared.
shirish