Finding players for obscure games

Finding players for obscure games

Postby Wuzzy » 15 May 2016, 00:13

Do you know an obscure multiplayer game which you like a lot but it is very hard to find actual players to play against?
I know a few of these, and this makes me sad. :(

In this thread I want to discuss ways to build a community around an obscure game, how to find other players for obscure games and eventually getting some games going.
I am writing this mostly from a player perspective, not a developer perspective.
As for me, I have not really a clue. That's why I created this thread.

Do you have experiences or tips?
Wuzzy

Re: Finding players for obscure games

Postby Julius » 15 May 2016, 05:48

Yeah, very good but difficult to answer question.

In most cases it is a chicken-egg problem, i.e. I don't feel like starting up a game to check if there are players if there rarely are, and because of that there are rarely any players. So as a result people stick to those games that always have a lot of player online... and such creating a feedback loop.

It can also drive a game into a niche, for example in Xonotic the only servers that are typically populated are the insta-gib ones. Thus creating the effect that mostly only people interested in insta-gib check for online games and the entire game (I would say) deteriorating into a insta-gib only game.

As possible ideas for improving the situation:

Integration with the your website, like done by Warsow can help a bit. You can check for online players easily on the front-page of the website and click to join a game (that's a bit difficult to setup under linux though ;). It seems to work to an extend as the online player base is a bit higher for Warsow usually.

Terminal Overload also tried to implement something similar, by having a "player alert" that would list active online servers and even play a sound when players are joining, see: http://aims.wasted.ch/tolservers/ But so far this strategy has not worked very well to be honest. And now that the development has mostly stopped again there arn't even any servers left :(

What I think can also help is integrating an IRC channel into the game, so that you can idle there and people can easily chat to see if there are players interested in joining games.

Interesting could be also to have a online singleplayer mode, i.e. some sort of fun gameply mode you can play on your own with bots or such, but which allows other players to join in easily.
Julius
Community Moderator

Postby Andrettin » 16 May 2016, 15:09

Julius {l Wrote}:Interesting could be also to have a online singleplayer mode, i.e. some sort of fun gameply mode you can play on your own with bots or such, but which allows other players to join in easily.

That sounds like a pretty good idea. Open-source generally don't have a marketing budget (unlike AAA titles), so more flexibility is necessary. As such, even for games with a heavy multiplayer component, having a solid single-player experience is a good way to attract players even if you have a small community (if any). Argentum Age is a good example I think. It is (AFAIK) intended as a primarily multiplayer experience, but it does have plenty of single-player campaigns, so you can experience that if no one is available for playing multiplayer.
Andrettin
Wyrmsun Moderator

Postby Duion » 18 May 2016, 20:28

Just open up an IRC channel and people interested can join there, or join existing ones, it is all not that hard.
Duion

Postby Wuzzy » 29 May 2016, 14:53

Thanks for your insight so far.

The singleplayer mode sounds cool. For some types of games, it is a real no brainer:
In racing games, you just do time-trial, training or race against bots until some human players show up, after which the “real” race begins.
In shooter games, you just play against bots which are removed when humans show up. Practically all online shooters do this, which is very important,
I bet this already prevents players from instantly running away from empty servers. ;)
For other game types something similar can be done, a game against bots or a training or whatever. Developers could get creative here.

Now I share what I have seen in the meanwhile:

For Xonotic, there is a an IRC channel called “#xonotic.pickup”, its only purpose is for players to find each other for matches in Xonotic. It has some bots so players can announce in what game mode they play. When enough players are interested in a match, the bots make another announcement. I don't think IRC is the best method to do it, but it certainly works, I have found one match with #xonotic.pickup.
Xonotic is not a terribly obscure game and you usually find a few players if you just start Xonotic. But sometimes there is nobody around so something like #xonotic.pickup sounds still helpful.

Another common concept, although less efficient is to make regular tournaments of some sort. Of course, this will only work for certain periods of time so this is very limited.
In Terminal Overload, some matches were planned beforehand and announced in the forums, and some players actually showed up. Like tournaments, I think this approach is also very limited since nobody is looking at the forums at all times.

You have already mentioned the browser thing for Terminal Overload. I think this idea is generally quite nice, because players don't have to install any extra software to be seen, even if nobody is inside at the moment. But it is annoying to have a browser open just for that. This approach could be generalized for more games. I have seen the software Obozrenie which allow you to browse server lists, but it has not an notification feature at the moment, nor does it support Terminal Overload.
The bigger problem with Terminal Overload seems to be that development has stalled for a while which is probably the real reason why interest went down (including mine :( ).

So there are some ways people have come up with, but none of this is really making me happy, each approach is kinda limited, most of them only work with one game.

The Xonotic solution is certainly interesting, but it is limited to Xonotic and IRC only.
But I like the general idea of Publish-Subscribe. I wish there was some general tool which works with (theoretically) any game. Players could announce in which games they're interested in general, other players could be invited, or they could announce that they are “ready for play” for game XYZ and other players can join in, etc. With such a system, players even with the most obscure type of game should easily find to each other. At least that's the hope. ;)

Or what about opening an IRC channel similar to #xonotic.pickup, but open for all games? Yes, it has been suggested before, but I personally don't really like the IRC approach since I hate talking to bots, typing cryptic messages and all that (and probably there will be not many users either). On the other hand, it is better than nothing.
Wuzzy

Postby charlie » 30 May 2016, 14:14

We have the #freegamer channel still. We can always try to use that?
Free Gamer - it's the dogz
Vexi - web UI platform
charlie
Global Moderator