An open-sourced rpg based on the series Suikoden

An open-sourced rpg based on the series Suikoden

Postby therealleesales » 09 Apr 2016, 21:06

Hey! I have a dream of being a big game developer. :twisted:

I have always been a big fan of Suikoden, especially Suikoden 2. Midway through development of Suikoden 3 the lead developer of the past Suikoden games left Konami.

Since then the series has seen it's fair share of bad releases. Konami has said in 2015 that they have halted development of Suikoden.

My idea is to use the power of people in large numbers (the same theme of this truly amazing series) to make a new game. Not a clone at all, but a new game to celebrate the pros of its predecessors.

In Suikoden you are challenged with recruiting 108 'stars of destiny' that each represent a person in the world you play in. Typically you'd encounter random monsters and fight bosses, while collecting items to suit up your team of 6 that you fight with along with collecting things for your base to upgrade it and make your play through feel like you truly accomplish something.

I don't want to dictate any kind of absurd amount of ideas for the game, but I do think designing it to look and feel like the traditional 2d version, but truly be 3d with a nice artistic touch because that would really do it justice.

Other than that the story usually revolves around a corrupt government thirsting for power and exiling the protagonist and instigating/flat out starting a war if not botching peace treaties and sacrificing innocent people to one of the '27 true runes'.

If you haven't checked out Suikoden yet and you like a good story/rpg you should definitely give it a whirl. It lays a nice template for a new generation of rpg and it could be really fun to help create the immersive new world's storyline and character dialogue.

I literally know nothing about coding, I know the names of a few programming languages, but no more than that. Please forgive me for not having more of this pieced together. I hope that this is the right idea for open-source game development.

Thank you for reading this and nice to meet you if you reply. :)
therealleesales

Re: An open-sourced rpg based on the series Suikoden

Postby Julius » 11 Apr 2016, 12:21

So, can you program it yourself? Sorry to be so blunt, but just ideas rarely get anywhere and that it what it seems right now. Points for trying to make it open source though ;)
Julius
Community Moderator

Postby Taknamay » 12 Apr 2016, 03:36

If you have the passion for it, I suggest learning Godot. It is easy to get started, I love it.

http://godotengine.org/download

http://docs.godotengine.org/en/latest/#sec-tutorials

On the other hand, maybe you could contact the Valyria Tear developers to see how their engine works. You would need to learn Lua, which I hear is not difficult to learn, and you would have the benefit of having most of the overworld/combat logic pre-written for you. Another free software RPG with a solid story is really welcome IMO. If you want help with some specific art or writing that you cannot find online, feel free to ask me for ideas or simple pixel art. I am sure many others would be interested if you had something more tangible to show us.
Check out the #freegaming tag on fediverse.
Taknamay

Postby themightyglider » 19 Apr 2016, 19:46

A problem about a open source game that is based on the world of a non free game could be that the rights for names of characters or locations could be reserved. You should check this out before planing any further.
themightyglider

Postby Taknamay » 19 Apr 2016, 20:30

themightyglider {l Wrote}:A problem about a open source game that is based on the world of a non free game could be that the rights for names of characters or locations could be reserved. You should check this out before planing any further.

I took for granted that it was more like a "spiritual remake" rather than using the copyrighted story and characters.
Check out the #freegaming tag on fediverse.
Taknamay

Postby therealleesales » 29 Apr 2016, 02:31

It will be a remake in spirituality, but I will not rule out having easter eggs that pay homage to original series.

I am downloading Godot and will look over the tutorials.

Not promising any kind of miraculous update soon, but I will try to reach the point of "having a tangible skill related to the project" as soon as I am able and thanks everyone for the replies.
therealleesales