Any good open source monopoly games?

Any good open source monopoly games?

Postby DGMurdockIII » 16 Aug 2015, 14:33

Is there any good open source monopoly game that also have online support for Windows
DGMurdockIII

Re: Any good open source monopoly games?

Postby Evropi » 16 Aug 2015, 15:32

Good? No, Monopoly is an objectively terrible game. :) Seriously, it's the leading cause of why adults don't play board games, in my opinion, and there's so many satisfying game mechanics in proper board games that it's a shame Monopoly is the one everyone has.

There was one on SourceForge, forgot its name though.
You just wasted 3 seconds of your life reading this.
Evropi

Postby sickmind33 » 16 Feb 2016, 18:15

onpon4 {l Wrote}:Try GtkAtlantic: http://gtkatlantic.gradator.net/

Dude. This looks great! If you need a graphics designer, all you have to do is PM me
sickmind33

Postby DGMurdockIII » 23 Feb 2016, 22:06

any one thats active in develpment
DGMurdockIII

Postby dulsi » 23 Feb 2016, 22:20

Just because it isn't in active development doesn't mean it is a good game. Is there a problem with gtkatlantic which make it usable for you? If you tell people why gtkatlantic is insufficient people are much more likely to be able to help you.
dulsi

Postby DGMurdockIII » 23 Feb 2016, 23:06

the proprieties dont have any name on the board when you play
DGMurdockIII

Postby dulsi » 24 Feb 2016, 00:53

Ok. I see what you mean from the screenshots. There is Kapitalist but it may not compile with current KDE. It also doesn't have a windows version. I've found a few java versions in searches but haven't investigated them.
dulsi

Postby nixz » 07 May 2018, 14:44

Hi,
I had came across a real world monopoly game which will take you to the next generation level of monopoly. Its name is Landlord Real Estate Tycoon. More than just a game it is a real world game. Just try it once and you will never leave it.
nixz

Postby dulsi » 08 May 2018, 21:49

nixz {l Wrote}:I had came across a real world monopoly game which will take you to the next generation level of monopoly. Its name is Landlord Real Estate Tycoon. More than just a game it is a real world game. Just try it once and you will never leave it.

Unless I'm mistaken, Landlord Real Estate Tycoon is not open source.
dulsi

Postby Wuzzy » 15 Jun 2018, 13:53

I don't think there are any good free software Monopoly games out there, and I cannot really recommend any.

Yes, GtkAtlantic came to my mind, too. Works online, not sure about Windows.

But it's really not good. But to be fair, it still has a leading zero in the version number, this probably means it's not considered “finished”. :)

Right now (version 0.6.1), I think the graphics are just terrible, just boring naked GTK, no theming at all, not even the properties are properly named on the board.

Sure, it's just a board game, but at least some basic styling and work on look and feel should be done. It shouldn't be too hard, we're only talking about 2D graphics, here. It should look like a proper game, not like a boring office application. :)
The game manual is also crap. Sure, it's basically just Monopoly, but the devil lies in the details with all the special rules. Not having a rulebook for a board game implementation is a major fail IMO.

GtkAtlantic seems to implement the game itself as you would expect it, just the look and feel needs more work, lots of work.
Wuzzy