Populating a map!

Populating a map!

Postby cgprojectsfx » 25 Dec 2014, 20:44

Hello

I'm trying to figure out the best way to populate a game map with rocks, trees, and other objects.

I tried using a random generator method selecting spots in a 100m meter area while testing collisions. The problem I have is the random generator numbers are so close to each other it's not varied.

Then I end up with far less objects.

Do anyone have any suggestins or links?

Vivienne
cgprojectsfx

Re: Populating a map!

Postby rogerdv » 26 Dec 2014, 14:13

Why not manually, is it some procedurally generated scene?
rogerdv

Re: Populating a map!

Postby eugeneloza » 26 Dec 2014, 15:44

rogerdv {l Wrote}:Why not manually, is it some procedurally generated scene?

I'm too looking forward to computer doing this work for me :) But it's not a trivial task.
Speaking of creating a) single map b) pro-level map is definitely only manual. But procedural maps may be a) random (i.e. each game will be different), b) scalable to player preferences and c) (very unobvious) often programming such a map generator would take less work time for the diversity with the price of 'quality'.

cgprojectsfx, what kind of map is this? 2D, 2D tiled, 3D...? Testing collisions seems to be referring to 3D.
The problem I have is the random generator numbers are so close to each other it's not varied. Then I end up with far less objects.

Can you explain the problem a little bit more detailed. It's just too few objects? Then just rise their expected number / probability level. If you don't like random, then you might go better with randomly-shifted network nodes.
eugeneloza