Wooot! RTCW and ET source release!

Wooot! RTCW and ET source release!

Postby Julius » 12 Aug 2010, 23:03

Can't believe this finally happened after all!

Just yesterday I was posting about the missing source release of ET on the ubuntu boards saying it's all doomed and we will never see it :shock:

ftp://ftp.idsoftware.com/idstuff/source/ET-GPL.zip – Enemy Territory
ftp://ftp.idsoftware.com/idstuff/source/RTCW-MP-GPL.zip – Return to Castle Wolfenstein (Multiplayer)
ftp://ftp.idsoftware.com/idstuff/source/RTCW-SP-GPL.zip – Return to Castle Wolfenstein (Single Player)

That gentleman is really great news, as ET is one of the coolest MP games of all time, and for sure people will pick it up make really tweak it to the max!

A big thanks to id software!
Julius
Community Moderator

Re: Wooot! RTCW and ET source release!

Postby svenskmand » 23 Aug 2010, 00:07

Nice, I look forward to games made on the ET-engine :)

Edit: wait a sec, you mean Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory and not Enemy Territory: Quake Wars which would have been really cool as that is Id Tech 4 and not Id Tech 3 which Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory is :(
Jamendo.com - The best music store on the net, uses CC licenses.
svenskmand
OD Moderator

Re: Wooot! RTCW and ET source release!

Postby Julius » 23 Aug 2010, 11:27

Actually I think the W:ET release is at least as cool. Sure QW looks nice, but besides it's maybe a bit too much to ask for it's code already, it doesn't really offer much graphically which we don't have already in open-souce engines like Xreal or Darkplaces.

By now it's not so much about the graphic capabilities anymore, but about game code and content. And even though the content of ET is only free as in beer, this might be the first really mod-able modern game we have as FOSS, as the engine can be easily upgraded (see Xreal goes ET) and people can now start modding the game without having to start from scratch with everything. And that is IMHO the main reason why you still see much more people modding games like HL2 instead of using really free ones.

But of course time will tell if it really works out like I hope it will.
Julius
Community Moderator