Can commercial engines be used for open source games?

Re: Can commercial engines be used for open source games?

Postby onpon4 » 08 Aug 2014, 16:06

You know, you mentioned Irrlicht before, but you said you really needed some Irrlicht extensions for it to be useful. I guess you're talking about IrrEdit. Putting aside that Minetest (a game that uses Irrlicht) has done just fine without it, why not just build a replacement? Surely it can't be that hard.
onpon4

Postby rogerdv » 08 Aug 2014, 16:37

I tried to write my own editor for Ogre, the task is almost equivalent to writing a game. Irrlicht should be no different.
rogerdv

Postby onpon4 » 08 Aug 2014, 22:52

If it's just the kind of work one game would require, why not take up the task? It sounds like this would be very convenient, so theoretically you would use it a lot.
onpon4

Postby Julius » 09 Aug 2014, 13:10

gouessej {l Wrote}:As Julius wrote, some WYSIWYG editors are nice for prototyping but in my humble opinion, you can't drive everything simple to express without making some simplifications in the supported game design or without making some aspects scriptable.

True, but what I actually meant is that "catch them all" scene editors either become extremely complex (and thus difficult to use) or do not really allow the work-flow necessary for certain game types. A proper RTS level editor is something completely different that an FPS level editor, and having a tool that can do both is just not a good idea at all.
Julius
Community Moderator

Postby Okam » 27 Oct 2014, 20:08

Hello everyone!
Here, in the Okam Team, we believe that free source and indie development are the future of gaming. That's why we have released our in-house engine, GODOT (www.godotengine.org), as open source technology.
We're currently having a kickstarter for one of our projects and one of our stretch goals is to release the template and tutorials for our adventure games for anyone to use. Help us make this dream come true and help us give back to the community the great things they give us! Here is the Link: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/94 ... ca-and-piz
Okam

Postby rogerdv » 31 Oct 2014, 15:21

Godot, yes! One of the engines I have on my pending taks list. But you need more/better tutorials.
rogerdv