NeL Seeking Students for Summer of Code 2010

NeL Seeking Students for Summer of Code 2010

Postby sfb » 30 Mar 2010, 13:41

So you may have noticed the news that the WorldForge has generously provided NeL one SoC student slot if we have any good, reasonable proposals. The bad news is that NeL has been caught flat footed on this. The application period for Summer of Code proposals started yesterday and only runs through April 9th. That means we only have until April 9th to work with potential students on solid proposals.

NeL is an MMORPG development framework which provides the base technologies and a set of development methodologies for the development of both client and server code. It provides the essential networking services (e.g. login management, service administration, etc) and a variety of tools and modules such as a 3D engine, a networking framework (from low-level to high-level class transports), a 3D sound engine and more.

The Google Summer of Code program is a program run by Google's Open Source Programs Office which offers qualifying college students a stipend of ~USD$5000 for working with open source projects and completing a project proposal within the summer time frame of the program. For more information and questions about Google Summer of Code program please check out their Frequently Asked Questions.

If you or anyone you know is a student (to qualify you have to be enrolled as a student as of April 26th this year) that is interested in working on NeL for USD$5000 please let me or one of the other community members know. You can contact us here or through IRC (irc.freenode.net/#nel) or you can contact me directly at matt.raykowski@gmail.com. I'm flexible and the other mentors are fairly flexible as well as to how we can be contacted and collaborate.

For more information please start with our Google Summer of Code 2010 page. This has links to all of the pertinent information such as the student application template, a brief page about writing project proposals and our ideas page.

The best place to start is with the ideas page but keep in mind that these are just ideas. If you have something that interests you more and is aligned with the project we're interested in that. Projects that you are both interested in and capable of completing are much more likely to succeed than projects you're not interested in regardless of whether you are capable of completing it. It's work and it will be hard work but we might as well have some fun with it! So take a look at the ideas page, work on what your idea, and find one of us: sfb (me), ace, Spexius, ulukyn, or Kaetemi.

We look forward to working with you on your project proposal!

Thank you!
sfb