New opensouce game project started!

New opensouce game project started!

Postby Niels » 25 Feb 2010, 12:44

Hey everyone!
I'm glad to present my own opensource game project to all of you! I'm posting here because i need experenced people to help me work on it! My project is called Dungeon Keeper 0. The idea is that it becomes a new and opensource version of dungeon keeper. This would be the part before dungeonkeeper 1 , so that's why it's called 0. If you guys are intrested (and i hope so) Look at this link! http://dungeonkeeper0.nielsserver.freeiz.com/
You should get on the homepage whits is almost blanc (I'm still writing the HTML for it). Go to the forum to see the project. You can actually kind of play it but i haven't got senario's yet. It's fully based on the dungeon digger project. Written in c++ and lua. But if you know how feel free to modify the script types! It currently uses .3ds models. Ofcourse that may be rescrited too if you want to.

I'm looking for:
Scripters of any kind
Grapic engineers of anykind (drawnings, 3Dmodels, 2D textures)
Writers (for the game story levels and all that stuff)
sound / music engineers (there isn't any sound and music yet but I'm planning to make some)

But ofcourse anyone whit a nice idea can join the project.

I would love to see some responces on my forum! :p
Thanks for reading:
Niels

http://dungeonkeeper0.nielsserver.freeiz.com/
Last edited by Niels on 01 Mar 2010, 13:38, edited 1 time in total.
Niels

Re: NEW OPENSOURCE GAME PROJECT STARTED!

Postby qubodup » 25 Feb 2010, 14:22

Hi! May I ask you to edit your first post to chose a descriptive (and non-uppercase) subject line? Thanks!
qubodup
Global Moderator

Postby ghoulsblade » 25 Feb 2010, 14:41

maybe you can join forces with the "opendungeons" project hosted in our projects section :
viewforum.php?f=15
ghoulsblade
Global Moderator

Postby Niels » 28 Feb 2010, 15:11

Sorry for the caps I think my caps lock was on it wasn't on purpus... :P
Anyway. About joining opendungeonkeeper, I think it would be quied unhandy to make this whole site and than quit. For now I continue the Dungeonkeeper 0 project, but I need good people. I just have 1 person willing to join now. He draws nice models (on paper) But I really need a LOT of scripters and some people good whit 3D modeling. At the moment i have to do that all myself but I'm not good enough at scripting. I think I need publicity to get some people joing the project.

Bye the way the homepage is updated whit a screenshot of the upcong homepage. It's nearlly finished! When that page is on-line I might have more attention ^_^
If anyone whises to give it a try, please join the forum. You can leave wenever you wish so don't worry :P.

Edit:
Just watched some video of opendungeonkeeper. It looks like my project is far more advanced afterall!

For those who wish to know the difference between dungeon diggen and my Dungeon Keeper 0 project: Dungeon Keeper 0 is based on Dungeon digger. dungeon digger was made to be different than dungeon keeper. Dungeonkeeper 0 is made to be another part of dungeonkeeper. Ofcourse whit oter creatures. For exaple: Dungeon digger doesn't use a portal but just spawn creatures at the heart (while the clain not to use a dungeonheart) Dungeon Keeper 0 Does actually use a portal (Not yet that's why I need scripters) but It should be more 3D than Dungeonkeeper 2. I want it to have the sole of DK1 back. (Dk2 was a bit ... Well it's hard to explain so say it missed the real feeling of part 1). Also there will be a more intresting story. More suprises than in the official versions ( where the levels did not always make perfect sence in the story line).

Íf you want to know more I suggest you contact me at the dungeonkeeper 0 website: http://dungeonkeeper0.nielsserver.freeiz.com/
P.S: Do NOT use www. in the link It doesn't seems to work if you do.

Thanks for the reply's :D
Niels
Niels

Postby charlie » 28 Feb 2010, 16:49

Perhaps it if is more complete than OpenDungeons, could you record a video and upload it to youtube, as well as some screenshots for this thread? It is difficult to tell what state this is other than by looking at the original Dungeon Digger website.

Also shouldn't this thread be in Project Showcase & Collaboration? If you add some screenshots to the first post of the thread, either myself or another mod will move it there for you.
Free Gamer - it's the dogz
Vexi - web UI platform
charlie
Global Moderator

Postby svenskmand » 01 Mar 2010, 00:25

I just tried out the game, and from a quick first look I do not see that it is longer in its development than OpenDungeons. The only thing I see here which is not in OpenDungeons yet is the ability to build rooms, other than that they are both at a very low-stage of development, but there are more people involved in OpenDungeons at the moment. Just my opion.

Which 3D engine/framework does it use, if any? OpenDungeons uses OGRE.
Jamendo.com - The best music store on the net, uses CC licenses.
svenskmand
OD Moderator

Re: New opensouce game project started!

Postby Niels » 01 Mar 2010, 13:46

I think the title is lowercase now.
About the screenshot and way it's build, at the moment it's almost excactly the same as dungeon digger. That doesn't sound like there is anyreason to join this project, but the idea is that it should become different than dungeondigger. It is the same because this project is just started a few days ago. The biggest thing different at this moment would be the activitie of the project. The dungeon digger project looks like it's stucked whitout people working on it. Originally I was (still am) part of dungeon digger, but noone really did anything, whitch was a bit sad...

About the opendungeonkeeper, I just saw one video so it might was old. This sould not be a comptition whitch one is finished first. Mayby there are ahead but that's not inmportend. I thing open dungeon keeper is a great project aswell. :)
Niels

Postby ghoulsblade » 01 Mar 2010, 14:37

There doesn't seem interest to merge the two projects into one, but there is one thing they have in common :
the need for dungeonkeeper-themed artwork.
I'd suggest collaborating there to get at least some decent placeholders up.
ghoulsblade
Global Moderator

Postby qubodup » 01 Mar 2010, 20:24

Niels {l Wrote}:I think the title is lowercase now.

That's nice. You might want to change the text to "New Dungeon RTS Game" or "Another DungeonKeeper Clone", as it would reveal to readers what the thread is about without opening it and because someone looking for "open source dungeonkeeper clone" would be more likely to find it on google. (the "open source" does not need adding, as it is contained in every FGDForums' page's title. :)

So what libraries do you use to program the game? OGRE
qubodup
Global Moderator

Postby svenskmand » 03 Mar 2010, 00:59

Niels {l Wrote}:... This sould not be a comptition whitch one is finished first. Mayby there are ahead but that's not inmportend. I thing open dungeon keeper is a great project aswell. :)

No of course not, I was just trying to compare the two projects, to see how far they where. I think that DK0 is a very interesting project, and I will follow its development :)
svenskmand
OD Moderator

Postby qubodup » 03 Mar 2010, 12:18

I like the website concept by the way.

I downloaded the source - any info available how to compile under linux?
qubodup
Global Moderator

Postby svenskmand » 03 Mar 2010, 21:41

qubodup {l Wrote}:I like the website concept by the way.

Yes your website looks very cool :), but I think you should be careful using artwork from the original game (I am here thinking about the logo, and "Horny"), because of copyright.
svenskmand
OD Moderator