D language

D language

Postby jdc » 15 Oct 2022, 21:29

What you people think of the D language?

It have low level functionality and high level, it is a language structure that i wanted to build alike. Have all the good aspectects of manipulating the more demanding things in low level and more loose stuff in high level.

It support a lot of shit : unit test, high errors, classes, templates, modules, classes, can comunicate width C and other things...

Is used in high companys like : ebay, netflix, etc...

https://dlang.org/spec/contracts.html

The draw back that i see in all this funcionality is the lack of available things in it, all the engines and things are in C, but for example there is a tutorial how to load raylib in to D. But then you have another problem you have to learn 2 languages, just to support a few more things.
jdc

Re: D language

Postby PeterX » 15 Oct 2022, 21:37

Looks nice, but sorry, I won't use it. It is nearly the same as C; only differences: More techniques included in the core language and a OOP writing style.

Greetings
Peter
PeterX

Postby jdc » 16 Oct 2022, 11:31

Just debate or chat not attempting to influence any one, 1º i don't that have that kind of knowledge to say it's better or not.

When i sugest C language in my main post "The Box" made a web search and most people sugested C as a main language to learn for "many reasons" even over other languages like C++. This is a fundamented sugestion...
jdc

Postby freem » 07 Jan 2023, 01:36

One thing I know with D: OpenMW was initially using it. It was rewritten in C++, so that it could attract more contributors, I think. Another thing I know about it is, it uses a GC, which is usually something people caring for performance tend to avoid. Have to be said though that, when GCC people were refusing to use C++ and only used C, they did had a GC implemented there. The switch to C++ was, IIRC, about getting more performances by removing the need for said GC. Now, GCC is a *huge* project, highly complex, and you're probably not going to do something that complicated. Also, unlike C, D probably have the GC built in it's core, so it's probably less likely to be buggy or slow.

The main reason to avoid D is, imo, probably the popularity one: less contributions to expect. But if that's not a problem, then it's probably a pretty good language. Or at least was, before Rust came in the game. I have no idea how it would compare with Rust.
freem
BN Moderator