Introduce yourself

Re: Introduce yourself

Postby Eldy » 18 Mar 2019, 10:32

Hello dulsi.

Well there are some open source game developped with Unity, but I understand that the fact that the engine is closed source is an issue. I am trying to learn Godot at the moment because I was also bothered by this.

I never released any open source games, but I am interested in contributing. I am interested in learning some networking for multiplayer games, as it is often a missing feature.

In fact I did one or two open source contribution, but really not much. I am never sure where to start when looking at open source projects...
Eldy

Postby GunChleoc » 18 Mar 2019, 20:35

Well, if they have a bug tracker, you can have a look at that to see if anything would be fun for you to implement. Then talk to the other devs to help you find your way through the code.
GunChleoc

Postby dulsi » 19 Mar 2019, 04:19

As GunChleoc mentioned bug trackers are good to see if you can implement anything. I did that for Tuxemon. After that I tried to level editing which caused me to discover the limitations of the scripting functionality so I started working on that. Unfortunately I'm horrible with my projects at entering bugs and leaving some simple tasks for new developers. When I do Open Game Source articles, I just played around with adding anything I felt was missing. Usually the changes didn't get merged but some did. I wish I had more time to do that.

Networking is something that is best to have in mind from the start as it can be hard to add to the game later. Most of my networking experience has been with projects from college. I haven't added network support to any of my current games. What type of games are you interested in? Maybe someone can point you to an open source clone. I recommend checking out http://osgameclones.com.
dulsi

Postby dulsi » 19 Mar 2019, 13:39

PocketRogues {l Wrote}:Hello! My name is Andrew and I'm a game developer
My hobbies are gamedev, 3d modelling, philosophy, ski-racing

Welcom Andrew. My youngest is dragging me into 3d modelling. He wants to build 3d models to add to minetest and now 3d printing. Being only 8 means he asks for a lot of help. Are you currently working on a game project?
dulsi

Postby dulsi » 19 Mar 2019, 14:44

PocketRogues {l Wrote}:Hi! Yes, I have a project (Rise of Legions on Steam). I can create a thread in the forum, if you're interested.
I mainly specialize in static (non-skeletal) models.

Is Rise of Legions open source? Non open source games are stuck in off-topic since this forum is mainly for open source but you can still discuss lots of things about the development process and whatnot. I use linux exclusively so I can't check it out.
dulsi

Postby XGenGamer » 04 Apr 2019, 08:28

Hi, I am XGenGaming. I am very much interested in the game development field for a long period of time. I am also a gamer who loves to play combat and strategic games.
XGenGamer

Postby dulsi » 05 Apr 2019, 14:58

XGenGamer {l Wrote}:Hi, I am XGenGaming. I am very much interested in the game development field for a long period of time. I am also a gamer who loves to play combat and strategic games.

Welcome. Are you working on any open source games or interested in starting your own project? I see your sig links to a company doing game development. Do you work for the company? This forum is focused on open source development so Unity is not a big topic due to it's closed source nature.
dulsi

Postby fluffrabbit » 11 Apr 2019, 11:34

Hey folks,

Been lurking here intermittently for about a year. I have heard FGD be called a dwindling echo chamber, and I like self-deprecation so I think I'll contribute to the roast a bit.

>You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, sexually-orientated or any other material that may violate any laws be it of your country, the country where “FreeGameDev” is hosted or International Law.

I am an abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, and sexual person. Those things don't violate the laws of America, and international law is not binding. Surely FGD has its own ideas of what is and isn't acceptable on a free software board.

>Information: These forums are about open source game development and not about freeware games.

I think that freedom is a somewhat subjective concept. While it's sad that a lot of newcomers are from Steam and Unity, it took me about 6 years to fully embrace free software culture after I first got involved in gamedev. While FLOSS engines like Godot are becoming more accessible, they sacrifice a lot of freedom by accepting corporate sponsorships, ruling their code with fascist policies, and often disregarding interoperability with popular programming languages. Unity may actually be a smart idea for an indie game going to steam, and a similar game concept in FLOSS-land may take 4 times as long to make.

So, is it worth it, and what do I get out of the seemingly illogical concept of free game development?
fluffrabbit

Postby thietbivesinhso1 » 12 Apr 2019, 03:27

Hi , everyone
thietbivesinhso1

Postby Julius » 15 Apr 2019, 14:42

Sorry for the late approvals, but somehow this outdated forum acted up again and didn't show your posts in the moderation queue :(
Julius
Community Moderator

Postby fluffrabbit » 15 Apr 2019, 16:30

Julius {l Wrote}:Sorry for the late approvals, but somehow this outdated forum acted up again and didn't show your posts in the moderation queue :(

No worries. Do you have any opinion on Simple Machines Forum?
fluffrabbit

Postby dulsi » 15 Apr 2019, 17:02

fluffrabbit {l Wrote}:I am an abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, and sexual person. Those things don't violate the laws of America, and international law is not binding.

The site did not say those thing violate laws. It says they are not to be posted here. If you want to post that elsewhere feel free but we are focused on friendly useful open source game development. I suggest contributing useful conversations before trying to change the rules of a community.

fluffrabbit {l Wrote}:While FLOSS engines like Godot are becoming more accessible, they sacrifice a lot of freedom by accepting corporate sponsorships, ruling their code with fascist policies, and often disregarding interoperability with popular programming languages.

Comments like that aren't helpful. First it doesn't make a lot of sense to say Godot sacrifices freedom by accepting corporate sponsorships while suggesting Unity might be a useful tool to get a game finished. Wouldn't Unity have made sacrifices to freedom due to it's corporate control. Instead of make unsubstantiated statements, point me to the problems. Ideally also suggest solutions. Disregarding interoperability with popular programming languages is probably the easiest to point examples to. Before you do, interoperability is not free to maintain. Sometimes the cost of maintaining the code is higher than the advantages it brings. I had multiple graphical frontends for Troll Bridge but I've eliminated in favor of SDL because it supports everything with less code on my end. Thankfully Godot is open source. If you want to add some feature, you can. If you prove the usefulness of the functionality and the dedication to maintain it, you can probably even get it included in the program.

fluffrabbit {l Wrote}:Unity may actually be a smart idea for an indie game going to steam, and a similar game concept in FLOSS-land may take 4 times as long to make.

That's fine. Unity is not a panacea. You will need learn the system. There are also games that may be easier to develop with FLOSS tools.

Welcome fluffrabbit and thietbivesinhso1. Are either of you working on any open source game projects right now?
dulsi

Postby fluffrabbit » 15 Apr 2019, 17:40

Hey dulsi. You radical marxists need to lighten up. I will approach things from an individualist perspective, not a community perspective.

Thankfully Godot is open source. If you want to add some feature, you can. If you prove the usefulness of the functionality and the dedication to maintain it, you can probably even get it included in the program.

I have already done so, and I would not be saying these things if I had not had negative experiences with Godot and its users already. I'd rather not back that up with anything as this is a matter of subjective personal taste. Personally, though I have also had bad experiences with Unity and may not use it again, it made me feel liberated to use. Like wow, I feel so free having such a tool at my disposal.

Welcome fluffrabbit and thietbivesinhso1. Are either of you working on any open source game projects right now?

Hey thietbivesinhso1.

I just started on the first of 16 1-day entries for a jam. Hopefully I am capable of finishing.

EDIT: Dead link.
Last edited by fluffrabbit on 30 Apr 2019, 09:28, edited 1 time in total.
fluffrabbit

Postby fluffrabbit » 22 Apr 2019, 00:00

vudiemphuongchi {l Wrote}:Hi
I am Slayer I live in the Netherlands and made a prototype for the fortress projec

Welcome Slayer,

If you'd like to share the prototype, we would probably all be interesting in seeing it.
fluffrabbit

Postby Skiip » 26 Apr 2019, 02:05

Hey skiip from USA. Open source is awesome!
Skiip

Postby lua2klistenup » 27 Apr 2019, 19:54

My name is Lua, aka Whatisthename. I love SuperTuxKart. US US US
lua2klistenup

Postby dulsi » 28 Apr 2019, 18:01

Welcome Slayer, skip, and lua. Do any of you have an open source projects you are currently working on? I don't look at the supertuxkart forum here too often but I'm sure they would welcome more people. It is the most popular game when I show off the arcade machine with it and a few other games.
dulsi

Postby flan » 03 May 2019, 21:45

Hi, I'm Flan. I've been playing SuperTux for about 8 years now, STK for about 6. Someday I'll release my own level set hopefully, I don't know about my own STK track though. :D
flan

Postby roborees » 05 May 2019, 15:42

Heelo everyone. I came here because of the amazing project of STK.
roborees

Postby fluffrabbit » 06 May 2019, 08:52

More STK users. Where do they all come from? Welcome. :)
fluffrabbit

Postby Ichsan » 22 May 2019, 16:25

HI all! I'm Ichsan, I live in Indonesia, I joined this forum so I could chat about HTML5 game. I hope I have a good time here :)
Ichsan

Postby VladyslavAfrin » 26 May 2019, 06:06

Hello everyone. My name is Vladislav, I'm from Kharkov (Ukraine). I hope, on your forum, to raise my skill. Good luck
https://jelvix.com Global Technology Partner for Software Innovation and Industry-Leading Solutions
VladyslavAfrin

Postby bagohano » 07 Jun 2019, 04:58

Hi, i'm John. I am from Singapore.
bagohano

Postby sNuntz » 13 Jun 2019, 20:21

Hi!
I'm a mechanic from italy
I like the project of SuperTuxKart :)
sNuntz

Postby dulsi » 16 Jun 2019, 22:51

Welcome Ichsan, Vladislav, John, sNuntz and Cameron.

Are any of you involved in open source game development right now? sNuntz is interested in SuperTuxKart. Anyone else have a favorite open source game?
dulsi