Introduce yourself

Re: Introduce yourself

Postby Micro » 26 Apr 2014, 02:55

My name is Zack. I started getting into game development a few years ago. My newest project is Micro. It is a voxel game in lwjgl. I am a young programmer. I"m less than 18, but older than 14.
Micro

Postby alvulth » 27 Apr 2014, 21:32

this thread seems to be old but anyway,. Hello, I'm alvulth, I'm from a country, I study computer science, I have some years in the game development research, currently I'm working on procedural content generation
alvulth

Postby Julius » 28 Apr 2014, 12:12

It's not old but just long ;) But you are very welcome to our forums!
Julius
Community Moderator

Postby elath » 28 Apr 2014, 15:28

Hi!

I'm a gsoc student. I am going to work on SuperTuxKart.
elath

Postby bbgengine » 05 May 2014, 00:40

I have developed a browser based game engine and looking at forums to get users opinions and test.

Thanks
bbgengine

Postby jwood.mls » 06 May 2014, 13:56

Hi, I'm John - I'm not a developer, but work in IT for a library and an interested in putting STK on some computers.
jwood.mls

Postby names_are_useless » 14 May 2014, 06:36

Hello, my name is Matt, aka "names_are_useless". I'm mainly here to advertise a game project I'm working on:

I'm a Co-leader of Epoch Games. Epoch Games is a fully-online, volunteer team developing an open-world Fantasy RPG game for CryEngine I'm a part called Lays of Althas: Sundered Order:
http://www.indiedb.com/games/the-lays-o ... ered-order

We are in need of 3D Animators/Riggers, 3D Modelers, and C++ Programmers. We could also use an extra hand or two with Public Relations (PR) as well.
names_are_useless

Postby miki151 » 15 May 2014, 10:16

Hello,

My name is Michał, and I'm the dev of KeeperRL. Looking forward to discussions on my project and other free software.
miki151

Postby WitchBlade » 16 May 2014, 18:26

Hi I just wanted to know on a lvl of 1 to 10 give an estimate on how hard it will be for a complete novice to create a game (1 being easy and 10 being the hardest)

And is it better to build a pc game first then the app version or the app first then the pc version?

If this is not the site to ask such questions I apologise. If someone can point me in the right direction I'll be grateful.

Thanks
WitchBlade

Postby austinhaynesmusic » 17 May 2014, 02:17

Hi Guys,

I am new here. I'm a game composer looking for another interesting project to be a part of.

Hope everyone has a nice weekend.
austinhaynesmusic

Postby samuelst » 23 May 2014, 22:18

I'm Samuel from Quebec, Canada.
samuelst

Postby MzoneFGD » 24 May 2014, 01:55

I am MzoneFGD (for FreeGameDev), but you can call me Mzone for short. Just validating my account ;)
MzoneFGD

Postby pvalencia » 24 May 2014, 12:01

Hello there! My name is Peter, and I'm a 3D artist involved in commercial indie game projects. I'm now looking to get involved with open source game projects on the side for fun. I hope to contribute to some of the projects on this site, as I'm a strong believer in the free open source software movement. I've benefited so much from open source software in the past and now I want to give something back! Looking forward to collaborating.
pvalencia

Postby LiamM32 » 27 May 2014, 03:53

I am Liam, from Vancouver, BC, Canada. I am currently a student in Grade 11.
Although I have been using computers for a long time, it has taken me a long time to learn to program. I discovered Game Maker when I was 11, so I tried to make some simple 2D games with the graphical programming in that software. I also have spent a bit of time on Little Big Planet in my High-school years, but never finished a level due to my excessive attention to detail and big goals.
I feel like I have really learned to use computers better this year, even though I've had them for years before. I have been in a class all of this school year that involves the Arduino, so I learned to make some simple C++ scripts to program that. I have also been in a video game programming class, where we learned to develop games in Unity3D coding in C#. Although my mind is better suited to hardware, I like to know some programming for personal and open-source projects.
I finally learned to model with Blender near the end of last year, after a few years in which I attempted to figure it out but never successful. I was already good at Google Sketchup by then; but I wanted to export models to Unity3D and also be able to model on my new OS, and advance to a "higher-level" modeler. I can't do much organic modeling, but I'm good with more rectangular things like architecture.
I have used Windows since I got my own computer at age 7. I used to be quite an Apple inc hater (have since calmed down), but I haven't been totally happy with Windows in recent years, as the slowness and malware vulnerabilities prove that there really is something wrong with it. So I installed Ubuntu Linux on my computer late last year. I really like it. I'm using it as I type.
LiamM32

Postby Timandmoor » 27 May 2014, 18:12

I'm Timandmoor - composer. I want to make music for these beautiful games.
Timandmoor

Re: Angel DOOM

Postby Angel » 28 May 2014, 19:39

Hey. I´m Angel from Germany I hope to find some nice maps here
Angel

Postby tetriser016 » 29 May 2014, 09:35

My name is Wahid. My nickname is tetriser because I love Tetris and I'm a Tetris pro. But I also like many games.
tetriser016

Postby LiamM32 » 31 May 2014, 11:14

My name is Liam. I'm from Vancouver, BC, Canada.
I already attempted to post twice before on this website, once on this topic; but they never showed up. I'm retrying with the full editor.

I signed up to learn to modify SuperTuxKart, and hopefully contribute if I get good enough. I am only a beginner in programming. 6 years ago when I was 11 years old, I started to use Game-Maker; a 2D game engine that uses graphical programming. I learned a decent amount; but was too detail-oriented to finish a fully-playable game. The level-maker in Little Big Planet 2 had something that could be considered a form of programming; a graphical form made to resemble electronic hardware. Again; too detail oriented. But I found it more difficult when I had to do it on PS3. I would have liked it more if I could make levels on a PC.
I just started doing the real programming this school year (in grade 11). I'm in an electronics class that has involved a little programming for the Arduino microcontroller (in C++). I have also been in a game programming class learning to use Unity3D (in C#).

I also started to figure out how to model in Blender late 2013. I can do a decent amount in it, but not so much for organic models. I might be able to model for SuperTuxKart some time.

I used to use Windows, and greatly prefered it over OSX. But in recent years, I wasn't totally happy with either; as the slowness and vulnerabilities of Windows prove that there is something wrong with it. So late last year, I first installed Ubuntu Linux on my computer. I have been very happy with it. Worked so well that I'm typing on it now.

I have a personal video game project to develop in the long term. So far I have only been making models in Blender for it. I have not decided on the engine yet, but I would prefer to use an open-source 3D engine rather than Unity. I plan to make it open-source when it becomes playable.
LiamM32

Postby tux_peng » 13 Jun 2014, 20:05

Hi, in many placed on the net I'm known as jpenguin. I used to be a tester for supertuxkart and extremetuxracer. I have made small contributions to pingus and lincity-ng. I run OSX, Kubuntu & Fedora-KDE
If you would like info about my STK servers, http://playstk.net
Superposition 720p Low Desktop 15031 | Laptop 7484
glmark2 Score: 9272
tux_peng

Postby ikachan » 14 Jun 2014, 04:12

I'm Daniel.

I live in New Zealand. I'm not particularly skilled in any sorts of programing but I first learnt some of the real basics of html and a bit of python from my brother.
I've programmed lots of different games on my calculator, I even made on that looks like the regular calculator screen only when you try to do an equation it will display the troll face and ask "Umadbro?"

In the past year I've been getting into this smart phone app called Qpython that allows you to program in python on your phone. I've made a few cool games with it.
I eventually plan on learning how to program real apps and eventually make some games.
ikachan

Postby PatrickGriffiths » 15 Jun 2014, 07:47

Hello everyone, my name is Patrick...

I am a 3d artist and animator, I have been working in the industry as a freelancer for some years now, and I'm a big believer/support of open source projects! I quite like the look of 'SuperTuxKart' so far and I feel like I could help improve the art quality that is there and maybe add to it with a few of the other artists currently floating around here. I don't have a serious amount of free hours to spend donating my help just yet, but I have enough to be able to help out here and there. Once thing to note would be that I use Autodesk Maya 2012 (I own the license) because I just can't wrap my head around the awkward controls of Blender, and it takes me significantly longer to do simple tasks where it shouldn't so I've been working towards my own Blender control scheme here and there, where it takes from the Blender's Maya Preset but not entirely, just the navigation and selection controls, still a little fiddling around but once I perfect that Blender will be something I can use more often, however I mention this because everyone here is likely using that, I can get all of my content from Maya into Blender and setup perfectly however any animations you will not have the control rigs to due to me using Maya, so I feel like it could be best if I just contribute some art assets here and there from time to time when I have the time to give.

I still have to look up some information on the project and how you handle contributions and such, but I thought that I'd stop by and introduce myself for now and maybe take part in the forum if it's still active at all...

Kind Regards
Patrick
PatrickGriffiths

Postby shmikucis » 17 Jun 2014, 15:06

My name is Guntis. I'm from Riga, Latvia.

I am game developer at MightyFingers. Recently we have open-sourced game editor made on Phaser framework (also open-source). Hope that there are some people who could contribute to the project. Will make a post about it shortly.
shmikucis

Postby metehancet » 19 Jun 2014, 11:52

Hello, im Mete from Turkey..
metehancet

Postby domsson » 19 Jun 2014, 13:15

Hey,

I'm a computer science student in my second semester and I hope that I can find my way into game design / game programming one day. Until then I'll continue being a big fan and supporter of open source (game) projects, especially reimplementations of games that I loved (and still love to) play during my childhood. My top three favorites are OpenTTD (already way past 1.0), OpenXcom (just reached 1.0!) and OpenMW (currently 0.3, but looking super good). Scanning the web for some specific reimplementations, I recently stumpled upon "Open Rash" (Roash Rash clone) here in the forum and immideately registered my account just to comment on that thread. Now I'm waiting impatiently for my post to actually appear.

Maybe I'm a bot after all and I just never knew.
domsson

Postby Arthur » 19 Jun 2014, 18:38

PatrickGriffiths {l Wrote}:I still have to look up some information on the project and how you handle contributions and such, but I thought that I'd stop by and introduce myself for now and maybe take part in the forum if it's still active at all...

Welcome Patrick, and yes it's still active though it goes up and down... not very much activity but lately it has gone a bit up again. :)
Hey pal, I took an oath for justice! "In happy days or tightest tights..." or something like that.
Arthur